Greggy

Stitch & Glue Boat Project

My last completed stitch and glue project;

11254669_10200726121590786_974554444491303590_n.thumb.jpg.d3d67f2303886187a5e5698318431348.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shadow said:

My last completed stitch and glue project;

11254669_10200726121590786_974554444491303590_n.thumb.jpg.d3d67f2303886187a5e5698318431348.jpg

Really dig that boat Larry, wish it was in the budget right now. Great design, pretty and seaworthy.

• Thanks 1

Update and photo’s on my build progress.

Because I didn’t have a suitable flat area I had to build the base frame to hold the bulkheads on a sloping area. Very important to get everything level and aligned at this stage.

I tracked down the Epoxy and fibreglass cloth at Polymer Products in Mandaue as one of the members suggested and they were very helpful. the epoxy is p2,100 per gallon and I got 2 gallons to get started. Also got the fibreglass cloth and tape which is not exactly the product that I wanted but as you know you need to improvise in the Philippines.

The scarf joining of the plywood panels was time consuming but seems to have worked out ok. each panel is made up from 2 full lengths & a 1/3 length of ply.

Was looking at Outboard Motor options and considering a second hand unit however a friend put me in contact with ALS Marine in Manila and they have brand new 25HP Yamaha four stroke for p147,750 which seems like a good deal to me. many of the second hand units I saw where not much less than that. The plans state that 30HP is recommended maximum.

I cut out, assembled and stitched all of the panels over the last week and it was fast and very straightforward. This is where all the time aligning the base frame & bulkheads pays off. lots of measuring and level checking but it all seems aligned and straight so time to begin the glueing process.

Costs so far:

9mm Marine Ply p9800

12mm Marine Ply p9600

Framing Timbers p3,800

Epoxy Resin (2 Gal) p4,200

Fiberglass tape and cloth p500

bolts, screws & misc p1,000

Plans p2,800

Total to date p31,700

I have not included the tools, circular saw & jigsaw that I purchased because I needed them anyway and will use them on other projects.

Base Frame 3.jpg

Bulkhead Setup 2.jpg

Panel Cutting 1.jpg

Stitching 2.jpg

Bottom Panel 2.jpg

Side Panel 2.jpg

Full Stitch 1.jpg

Full Stitch 2.jpg

Epoxy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greggy said:

Update and photo’s on my build progress.

Because I didn’t have a suitable flat area I had to build the base frame to hold the bulkheads on a sloping area. Very important to get everything level and aligned at this stage.

I tracked down the Epoxy and fibreglass cloth at Polymer Products in Mandaue as one of the members suggested and they were very helpful. the epoxy is p2,100 per gallon and I got 2 gallons to get started. Also got the fibreglass cloth and tape which is not exactly the product that I wanted but as you know you need to improvise in the Philippines.

The scarf joining of the plywood panels was time consuming but seems to have worked out ok. each panel is made up from 2 full lengths & a 1/3 length of ply.

Was looking at Outboard Motor options and considering a second hand unit however a friend put me in contact with ALS Marine in Manila and they have brand new 25HP Yamaha four stroke for p147,750 which seems like a good deal to me. many of the second hand units I saw where not much less than that. The plans state that 30HP is recommended maximum.

I cut out, assembled and stitched all of the panels over the last week and it was fast and very straightforward. This is where all the time aligning the base frame & bulkheads pays off. lots of measuring and level checking but it all seems aligned and straight so time to begin the glueing process.

Costs so far:

9mm Marine Ply p9800

12mm Marine Ply p9600

Framing Timbers p3,800

Epoxy Resin (2 Gal) p4,200

Fiberglass tape and cloth p500

bolts, screws & misc p1,000

Plans p2,800

Total to date p31,700

I have not included the tools, circular saw & jigsaw that I purchased because I needed them anyway and will use them on other projects.

Base Frame 3.jpg

Bulkhead Setup 2.jpg

Panel Cutting 1.jpg

Stitching 2.jpg

Bottom Panel 2.jpg

Side Panel 2.jpg

Full Stitch 1.jpg

Full Stitch 2.jpg

Epoxy.jpg

Looks like a good start!

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

• Adsbygoogle