Greggy

Stitch & Glue Boat Project

After having owned 2 locally made Banca boats I have decided to make my own traditional boat that I can use for fishing, going snorkelling or just cruising the local waters and closer Islands.

Lots of research and Internet searching later I have decided on a 16’ (5M) Skiff style that is designed by Devlin Boats in the USA and built using the “Stitch & Glue” method. The base material is 9mm marine ply with 12mm ply used for bulkheads and other structural parts. The joints are glued using epoxy resin and reinforced using 3” fibreglass tape. The entire hull will then be covered in a fibreglass cloth. 

I know there are detractors of the locally made or Chinese made marine ply however I don’t have much choice available so have purchased Santa Clara brand.

The most expensive part of the build (other than the outboard motor) is the fibreglass cloth and the epoxy resin. The recommended resin is “West System” 105 and I will apparently need about 10 gallons! I have managed to track down a supplier in Mandaue but haven’t got the courage to enquire about the price as yet. I’m expecting upwards of USD$1,000.

Devlin Boats use Stitch & Glue design exclusively and they have a great website https://www.devlinboat.com and many designs to select from. They also have some very good instructional videos. The design that I have selected is the “Candlefish 16” and I bought the Metric version of the plans for USD$55. The plans and instructions are very clear although you still need to study them very well before starting cutting anything.

I have attached some photos of progress so far which includes making the “Scarf” cuts to allow joining of the plywood, cutting out of the bulkheads and laminating three pieces of ply for the transom support.

I will update progress for time to time including a running cost update for those that may be interested in a similar project.

Costs so far:

Santa Clara Marine Plywood P18,000

IMG_0676.JPG.fb9031f3ff884287f55a9c6da5f333bf.JPGIMG_0675.JPG.d551bd01d3276c394273cfec18c729ba.JPGBulheads.jpg.0f3046434f19f427c3805d9d630a99fa.jpg598683bde72af_TransomKnee.jpg.708d3dda463f9dc0bb5b8f1275d848d3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Wow...nice work.

ok...you have me drooling over that web site...

Nice Greggy,

Keep us posted on your project with lots of photos.

I was planning a stitch and glue boat myself but, considering the bargain prices for second-hand sailboats where I live, I picked up a nice old girl when it came time. My brother, on the other hand, built his houseboat from marine ply and epoxy.

He didn't bother with the WEST system. I think any epoxy will do these days, and you'll save plenty. Really, it's just a chemical recipe and everyone knows the ingredients now, unlike 25 years ago.

• Like 1

I was looking for alternatives to West Systems locally but they seem to already mixed with a filler. I have used Pioneer and will probably use that for the joints but need raw expoxy for the taping and the cloth. Actually considering not doing the external fibreglass cloth and use plenty of expoxy primer instead!

6 hours ago, Greggy said:

The most expensive part of the build (other than the outboard motor) is the fibreglass cloth and the epoxy resin. The recommended resin is “West System” 105 and I will apparently need about 10 gallons! I have managed to track down a supplier in Mandaue but haven’t got the courage to enquire about the price as yet. I’m expecting upwards of USD$1,000.

I bought epoxy from Polymer Products, Mandaue....maybe that's who you've tried. I wasn't constructing from scratch, just stripping and restoring a banca with epoxy base coating and some repairs. It was about 5 years ago, but 2 gallons and a bag of filler (which I didn't use), and a gallon of reducer, and a couple of metres of cloth came to about 7000 peso. It did the job fine. Then epoxy paint. Boat's still good...used daily by a local fisherman. The epoxy was slow, a day to lose tackiness. but the odd insect mark etc didn't matter as its a working boat, not a shiny white wonder. They were nice people at Polymer.

If your quantities are well calculated, I think it's worth opening a can when you buy it. Someone else might advise here, but it seems that, and not just the Philippines, the "gallon"cans are sort of partially filled. maybe something to do with the nature of the components. And don't really make a full gallon volume when mixed.

Don"t forget the pharmacy for a box of surgical gloves!

Thanks for the info Trthebees, Polymer Products is exactly who I was going to contact so will look at the options after taking to them. 

This is a bit of a toe in the water project and if it goes ok them something a little bigger next time. One of the problems I have is lack of boat ramps in Northern Cebu so needing something I can manhandle from the beach.

Is there a specific reason why most are using epoxy instead of polyester or vinylester in the Philippines? Is epoxy easier to find or what? Vinylester should be also a good option if you're using fiberglass. Even polyester should be enough if you use a good topcoat.

35 minutes ago, richard_ost said:

Is there a specific reason why most are using epoxy instead of polyester or vinylester in the Philippines? Is epoxy easier to find or what? Vinylester should be also a good option if you're using fiberglass. Even polyester should be enough if you use a good topcoat.

In this area (Duma), epoxy is everywhere, the rest are nearly non existent and expensive.

• Like 1

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

• Adsbygoogle

Advert