Tullioz

Tips to Improve Your Chances of Surviving a Terrorist Attack

With the threat of terrorism on the increase here in the Philippines, I thought I would share some tips that may help in an active shooter/armed attack and/or a kidnapping.

While the odds of being the victim of a terrorist attack are still very small, sources have confirmed that these types of attacks are currently being planned by terrorist groups in Mindanao and some have already been given the green light to be carried out. 

An attack similar to the 2008 Mumbai attack or the 2013 Westgate Mall attack in Kenya are possible and what are currently the most feared of taking place. Both of these attacks where carried out by a small number of armed men and caused high casualty numbers. The Mumbai attack resulted in 160 people killed and and over 500 being injured, and the Westgate Mall attack resulted in close to 70 being killed and more than 150 injured. We also witnessed how much carnage a single gunman can carry out in the recent Resorts World attack in Manila. It doesn't take a large number of attackers to cause chaos, a lot of damage, and result in a large number of deaths and injuries.

The information below comes from CJCS Guide 5260 "A Self-Help Guide to Antiterrorism" (10 June 2013) found at the link below.

http://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Documents/Library/Handbooks/g5260.pdf?ver=2016-02-05-175743-253

It is intended for members of the US military and Department of Defense employees, but can provide some good advice for the civilian population as well regardless of nationality. There is also advice on land and air travel, visiting/living in a foreign country, hotel safety, and residential safety at the link.

Below is a summary of what the above guide contains regarding active shooter and hostage taking situations.

ACTIVE SHOOTER

Active shooter situations are unpredictable and can evolve quickly. Potential responses include:

· Evacuate: If there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate. Be sure to:

• Have an escape route and plan in mind.
  • Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
  • Leave your belongings behind.
  • Help others escape, if possible.
  • Prevent others from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
  • Keep your hands visible.
  • Follow the instructions of first responders.
  •  Do not attempt to move wounded people.
  • Call emergency services when you are safe.

· Shelter in Place: Find a place where the active shooter is less likely to find you. Remember to silence your cell phone, remain quiet and calm, and call emergency personnel if possible. The place you choose should:

• Be out of the shooter's view.
  • Provide protection against shots fired your way.
  • Not trap you.
  • Have locks on the door.
  • Have furniture to blockade the door.

· Take action against the active shooter: As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, try to disrupt or incapacitate the shooter by:

• Acting aggressively.
  • Throwing items and improvising weapons.
  • Yelling.
  • Committing to your actions.

Support first responder efforts:

• Remain calm and follow instructions, avoid pointing, screaming, or yelling.
  • Put down any items in your hands, raise hands, spread fingers, and keep hands visible at all times.
  • Avoid quick movements.
  • Do not cling to emergency personnel.
  • Do not stop to ask first responders for help or direction when evacuating.
  • Evacuate in the direction first responders are entering.
  • Provide first responders with information on active shooter, including; location, number of shooters, descriptions, number and type of weapons, and number of potential victims.

Respond to the type of weapon used by an attacker:

• Attack with small arms: Ricocheting bullets tend to hug the floor; crouching (not lying) on the floor may reduce exposure.
  • Attack with explosives: Grenade shrapnel rises from the detonation; lying on the floor reduces exposure and having feet toward the blast may protect the head

HOSTAGE SURVIVAL

The chances of being taken hostage are remote and hostage survival rates are high. Your personal conduct can influence treatment in captivity.

General Considerations:

• Try to remain on the best terms with the captors possible.
  • Do not draw attention to yourself with sudden movements, verbal remarks, or hostile looks.
  • Prepare yourself for possible verbal and physical abuse, and lack of food, drink, and sanitary conditions.
  • Discretely observe your captors and memorize their physical descriptions. Include voice patterns and language distinctions, as well as clothing and unique physical characteristics.
  • Try to prepare yourself for the situation and stay mentally active.

Maintain Self-Control:

• The moment of attack is the point of maximum danger since your captors are most likely to panic or use excessive force.
  • Recognize the moment when resistance is futile. Your instinct may be to struggle, but you should stop when faced with deadly force.
  • Regain your composure and recognize your fear. Your captors are probably as apprehensive as you are, so your actions are important. Take mental notes of directions, times of transit, noises, and other factors to identify your location.
  • Anticipate isolation and efforts to disorient and confuse you.
  • If you attempt an escape, plan your escape for times that maximize your chance of success.
  •  Attempt  to  secretly  leave  fingerprints  or  DNA  material  (e.g.,  hair  strand  with  root, drop of blood) in vehicles or places where you are held. 
  • Your captors must be convinced your government will work to obtain your safe release.
  • Do not be depressed if negotiation efforts appear to be taking a long time.  Remember that your chances of survival actually increase with time.

Dealing With Your Captors:

• Do not aggravate them.
  • Do not get into political or ideological discussions. Listen, but don't debate.
  • Try to limit conversation to topics like sports, family, clothing.
  • Comply with instructions, but always maintain your dignity.
  • Attempt to develop a positive relationship with them. Try to be seen as an empathetic person, not a symbol of their hatreds.
  • Be proud of your heritage, government, and military association, but use discretion and don't be offensive.

While in Captivity:

• Exercise daily.
  • Read anything and everything.
  • Eat what is offered to you. You must maintain your strength.
  • Establish a slow, methodical routine for every task.

Being Interrogated:

• If you need to make up a story to protect sensitive information, make it a simple, believable story you will be able to remember and stick to it.
  • Be polite and keep your temper.
  • Give short answers. Talk freely about nonessential matters, but be guarded when conversations turn to matters of substance.
  • Do not be lulled by a friendly approach. One terrorist may play "Good Guy" and one "Bad Guy."
  • Briefly affirm your belief in basic democratic principles.
  • If forced to present terrorist demands to authorities, in writing or on tape, state clearly that the demands are from your captors.

During Rescue:

• Drop to the floor and be still. Avoid sudden moves. Wait for instruction.
  • Once released, avoid derogatory comments about your captors; such remarks will only make things harder for those still held captive.

http://jko.jten.mil/courses/atl1/courseFiles/resources/AT_Level_I_Reference_Document.html

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 7

For sure I'm not gonna listen to any dribble given to me by any agency if i'm caught by a terrorist I will gouge his eyes out grab a gun or do whatever damage I can do to these animals before they behead me to hell with this garbage, fight fight and fight to the death.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

For sure I'm not gonna listen to any dribble given to me by any agency if i'm caught by a terrorist I will gouge his eyes out grab a gun or do whatever damage I can do to these animals before they behead me to hell with this garbage, fight fight and fight to the death.

If you can't escape in the first ten seconds by running from the terrorists, it's best to not resist and save that energy for another day. If you are at a resort or walking down the street with your wife or girlfriend and five or six heavily armed men show up who have already been watching you for weeks or even months to plan their attack, you are going to loose that fight. You may be trying to kill them, but they are not going to try to kill you. You aren't worth anything to them dead and they have already invested too much time and effort to abduct you to just shoot you and be done with you. They will probably beat you, stab, you or even shoot you in the hand or foot to make you comply, but they are still going to take you alive one way or the other. 

It's best just to go with the flow because chances are you will have plenty of opportunity to plan an escape later and you will have a better chance of getting away at that time if you don't have injuries from the fight you had in the initial stages of getting captured. 

Navigating through the jungle is a lot easier without having bruises, broken bones, stab or gun shot wounds. 

The above tips and advice in my post are the same given to military personnel. It's also very similar to what is taught in SERE Training (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape). If you are caught off guard by terrorist and you are unarmed, you are at that point considered captured without a means to resist. The best way to take control of the situation at that point is to remain calm and cooperate with your captors. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

With the adrenaline flowing I think I would fight to the death also knowing that my head would be gone if they captured me.I wonder what the odds are of surviving and being rescued or released?? I not think very good....

• Like 2

This entered my mind a long time ago during the war in Angola in the 80s i worked there yes i did serve in the Mariners, i know most of you guys came out of IRAQ ,AFGHANISTAN. and i know it was brutal violent bloody abhorrent without reason.

These individuals have been brought up to believe both you are the enemy and there antichrist as we see it, God knows they will even kill there own relations there own children, in honor killing ,so this is abhorrent to us as we see. After all we are good living christen people yes ? do you agree.?

It is time to realize what type of enemy we deal with not to feck ammo at them but to see who we deal with..

I THINK IT IS TIME TO ADMIT YOUR OWN DEPRAVITY.

Edited by Derick
miss spelling

A highly multiethnic country, Angola's 25.8 million people span various tribal groups, customs, and traditions. Angolan culture reflects centuries of Portuguese rule, namely in the predominance of the Portuguese language and the Catholic Church

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Derick said:

This entered my mind a long time ago during the war in Angola in the 80s i worked there yes i did serve in the Mariners, i know most of you guys came out of IRAQ ,AFGHANISTAN. and i know it was brutal violent bloody abhorrent without reason.

These individuals have been brought up to believe both you are the enemy and there antichrist as we see it, God knows they will even kill there own relations there own children, in honor killing ,so this is abhorrent to us as we see. After all we are good living christen people yes ? do you agree.?

It is time to realize what type of enemy we deal with not to feck ammo at them but to see who we deal with..

I THINK IT IS TIME TO ADMIT YOUR OWN DEPRAVITY.

"I THINK IT IS TIME TO ADMIT YOUR OWN DEPRAVITY."

The OP was giving info on terrorist survival..What does our own morality have to do with defending yourself??  Maybe i miss interpreted your statement?

I would have thought the number one plan to escape terrorism would be: Don't live or enter an area that has terrorist threats.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, hyaku said:

I would have thought the number one plan to escape terrorism would be: Don't live or enter an area that has terrorist threats.

How right you are. But few feel to see.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hyaku said:

Don't live or enter an area that has terrorist threats.

Yeah, but its pretty cold in Antarctica !

• Like 2