I tried a manager with 60/40 allocation set by us and at the same time also bought some balanced funds that were 60/40, turned out that after time the balanced funds that I bought on my own did just as well as the managed funds did.

BTW with balanced funds or any other fund, it is my understanding that they are also managed, so in today's world, it might be about picking the allocation you feel comfortable with and finding funds that have 5 stars from Morningstar that fit that allocation. Of course if you are diverse or more aggressive then your portfolio might grow more but at my age, having a fixed annuity can be part of the package to more or less guarantee a set amount we can usually count on monthly and that the wife would be able to count on when I am gone, unless everything goes to hell, then most investments might suffer. 

IMO real estate is also a good investment over time, I checked recently on a house I had bought in the early 70's for $38,000 and it is now worth over $500,000 so real estate kind of tracks the dollar plus cost of living increases and if they include rentals, then it can be a win win if a person buys at the right time and at the right price, the condo we have in Florida has doubled in value in just the last almost 5 years and we get to enjoy living in it as well, so to me that is sort of an investment too since we seem to be gaining equity but since I do not have a crystal ball, I have no idea what it might be worth when the time comes to sell it, all I know is that I have enjoyed every home I have owned during my lifetime and each one has gone up more than double in around 17 years we owned them, so the money probably would have done better in the market but then rent costs would have had to be figured in too.

Most Filipinas want stability, so owning a home or condo can be a good part of that stability.

or possibly an annuity. 

33 minutes ago, Lee said:

I tried a manager with 60/40 allocation set by us and at the same time also bought some balanced funds that were 60/40, turned out that after time the balanced funds that I bought on my own did just as well as the managed funds did.

i fired my financial advisor 4 years ago as he treated my dads money as a way for him to make commissions. My dad is 84 and does not know shit about stocks, annuities..........then my dad brought me to meet this guy and i hooked up with his firm and after a few years it went to shit as we started having conflicts of interest on what he was doing with my dads money by sticking him in a 10 year variabe annuity and couldnt explain how it resets the caps and does it pay out the dividends it makes and we had a blowout at the restaurant we were meeting at.

The advisor was about 60yrs old and was shaking uncontrollably as i had him so upset. After my dads other investments expired with him dad pulled his money out from his firm and i did the same.

I now use vanguard and i am my own broker, no more lies from brokers mouth, no more 4% fees to get into certain fund groups. I do my own research and am doing just fine without brokers help. I am making money on dividends and the funds have also increased and am aware i will lose principle when the market goes bad but i am in for the long haul and it will be my wifes when i die for her to manage it.

I dont look at it or watch it, its there and i dont even want to know how its doing as its diversified and doing as the market does as long as the dividends show up in my bank i am satisified. Vanguard is so easy to set up, connecting your bank or banks to it to supply funds is the only part that takes time which is around 5 days for the bank to verify itself with vanguard. If you dont know a thing about the market vanguard probably isnt for you as some knowledge is needed to read the prospectus and understand how it pays out dividends and such. Fees are very cheap and listed per fund.

• Like 2

I'm also a fan of Vanguard (low fees, good service).   Depending upon how much money you have with them you can get free advice.  I do it on my own though, simple stuff, some basic growth, index type funds, low fees.  Some balanced funds.  I also have some money in Schwab and they have some nice tools for analyzing the type of investor you want to be and from there how to pick funds.   I only stay with mutual funds, easy and doesn't take too much time.  I check and re-balance every few months.

• Like 3

Most chapters of The Knights of Columbus have insurance agents who are well versed in annuities, other insurance products as well as CD and other types of savings. If your local chapter does not have a representative they will have access to one.  

Managed products in the Philippines are rubbish in general, very high fees with most, pretty much everything not paying dividends or any distributions, even the one PSEI tracking ETF doesn't pay dividends even though it tracks a non accumulation index...go figure.

Better just to setup a broking account and buy directly, many good dividend paying PH stocks, pesos paid straight into your account on a somewhat regular basis, im getting a roughly 4/5% yield with direct ownership via BPI trade, COL financial also has a good reputation.

• Like 2