RR3

One-third of world now overweight, with US leading the way

10 posts in this topic

More than 2 billion adults and children globally are overweight or obese and suffer health problems because of their weight, a new study reports.

This equates to one-third of the world's population carrying excess weight, fueled by urbanization, poor diets and reduced physical activity.
The United States has the greatest percentage of obese children and young adults, at 13%, while Egypt led in terms of adult obesity, with almost 35%, among the 195 countries and territories included in the study.
The data revealed that the number of people affected by obesity has doubled since 1980 in 73 countries, and continued to rise across most other countries included in the analysis.
Obesity levels were higher among women than men across all age groups, which correlates with previous findings on obesity.
Almost 70% of deaths related to an elevated BMI in the analysis were due to cardiovascular disease, killing 2.7 million people in 2015, with diabetes being the second leading cause of death.
However, in more recent years, while rates of cardiovascular disease have risen, the number of deaths have fallen. The researchers believe this may in large part be due to better clinical interventions becoming available, such as measures to control high blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels, which all fuel heart disease.
This is the case in countries like the United States, argues Danaei, adding that prevention services leading up to the onset of cardiovascular disease, such as blood sugar monitoring, or care after a heart attack, or stroke, have improved in developed countries.
But these service are expensive and are not currently the norm in most low- and middle-income countries. "After a heart attack, the chance of dying is much higher in developing countries," he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/12/health/global-obesity-study/index.html

Look at the bright side. Those people aren't starving.

1 person likes this

Im+gonna+eat+you+_d7b479_16295.jpg

3 people like this

Sugar/Carbs/No exercise...That will do it...

One-third of world now overweight, with US leading the way?

AHA, now we know why the globe is tilting on its axis.  And here's them newspapers trying to blame it on global warming due to cow farts. :sarcasm:
Global warming is making the Earth tilt on its axis

Hmmm.  I suppose if you think of them fat old women as "cows" they may actually be right. :hyper:

better be careful it might just fall out of orbit if we get to fat.  I have proof from the US congress such things like this could happen.  

Make America great again ....

U.S. I believe it...yet when I first came here I was guaranteed the most overweight person on a jeepney.

Now the beasts are turning out here too. More every year. I'm sure mine isn't a lone observation. 

When I watch 1960's era U.S TV programing maybe one person in ten (?) was overweight. People where considered standout fat who where 10 kg larger then thin. Could be wrong but that's what I seem to notice.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, delancey said:

U.S. I believe it...yet when I first came here I was guaranteed the most overweight person on a jeepney.

Now the beasts are turning out here too. More every year. I'm sure mine isn't a lone observation. 

When I watch 1960's era U.S TV programing maybe one person in ten (?) was overweight. People where considered standout fat who where 10 kg larger then thin. Could be wrong but that's what I seem to notice.

Funny you should mention that. I noticed a big difference in the "weight factor" during my last trip to the PI just recently. We visited about 10 different islands and I noticed more heavier Filipinos than I did when I first visited the PI in 2004. It must be all that Western fast food that is becoming more popular with the local inhabitants.

1 person likes this

fat pinoys?.. getting their rice.. simple as that... I live small town.. I hire sometime to get me somethings... good banana field soil, bamboo, carabao poo for my plantings.. when I first asked cost  it was "buy rice".. it has changed but that was the "standard"... I send to my ladies family to home province every month... it is for "rice".. "fat" Pinoy's are getting their rice...