shadow

US Navy destroyer collides with Philippine merchant vessel

These freighters do operate on auto pilot. When I was stationed on a fleet ocean tug, towing a dry dock from Subic to Pearl Harbor, we were damn near run down by a freighter. No personnel were observed on the bridge of the freighter. We did the six blasts several times and they finally veered away from collision course. We were not very maneuverable towing that dry dock.

Edited by Salty Dog
Double posted
  • Like 1

On 2017-6-24 at 10:23 AM, shadow said:

I am not military, but I do know for a fact  that to get to the position of captain of a USN destroyer requires a very high level of integrity, something you would obviously not understand.

:ontopic:

I don't think it's wise to think because of people's positions they are beyond reproach. I've seen power corrupt people too often. Case in point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/three-us-admirals-censured-in-fat-leonard-corruption-probe/2015/07/17/7f29ca1a-2b1f-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

Here's a quote from a Washington Post article:

A striking portion of the Navy’s senior brass could be tarnished. In December, Adm. John Richardson, the chief of naval operations, summoned about 200 admirals to a special gathering in Washington.

Without naming names, he revealed that about 30 of them were under criminal investigation by the Justice Department or ethical scrutiny by the Navy for their connections to Francis, according to two senior Navy officials with direct knowledge of the meeting.

The damage to the Navy could match the toll from the Tailhook scandal of the early 1990s, when 14 admirals were reprimanded or forced to resign over an epic outbreak of sexual assault at a naval aviators’ convention.

In it, The WP points out ethical and/or criminal suspicion falling on 44 out of the US navy's 200 admirals because over two different scandals in recent years.

So I believe an investigation shouldn't assume one side to have more integrity than the other, or it's really not impartial.

Edited by spydoo

That is apples and bananas.  Here you have to have him  (supposedly) say my machine is the reason I failed. When you 6 crew you lead that are the fail safe.  Those 6 crew members just saw career light extinguished.  So no a Navy Captain is not going to blame a machine for the collision when his leadership of 6 people were the critical link.  Additional to those 6 crewmembers the Excutive Officer or Operations Officers should have been on the Bridge in command.  

On 6/22/2017 at 1:13 PM, Salty Dog said:

Meguro said the ship was "operating as usual" until the collision at 1:30 a.m., as shown on a ship tracking service that the company uses. She said the ship reported to the coast guard at 2:25 a.m., but she could not provide details about what the ship was doing for nearly an hour.

In those missing details lays the probable answer to this collision.

5 hours ago, USMC-Retired said:

Additional to those 6 crewmembers the Excutive Officer or Operations Officers should have been on the Bridge in command.  

The upper ranking officers do not normally stand watch duties. The OOD would be the one on the bridge in charge.The OOD is usually a junior to middle grade officer.

Officer of the deck (OOD) is a position in the United States Navy and United States Coast Guard that confers certain authority and responsibility. The officer of the deck on a ship is the direct representative of the captain, having responsibility for the ship.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

The upper ranking officers do not normally stand watch duties. The OOD would be the one on the bridge in charge.The OOD is usually a junior to middle grade officer.

Being a coastie you know better than I.  

Still no sign of the navy boat AIS track. Maybe it was hiding.