shadow

US Navy destroyer collides with Philippine merchant vessel

108 posts in this topic

To be appointed Captain of ANY ship...any country...any navy... is a supreme achievement! They are judged and promoted by honorable naval officers.

Some strive to command the largest ships in the fleet....good for them.

Some prefer to command smaller, faster, often more deadly ships.

I served under two Captains who refused promotions (not always a good career move BTW) because they loved the idea of commanding a smaller, faster, multi-mission, formidable ship, with a well trained crew. They loved the freedom to steam independently across the Pacific . arrive on station in Wes Pac to assume their duties.

.....FYI....a US Navy destroyer, historically the" Grey Hound of the Sea"....1930's until today... is the backbone of our Navy.

They are relatively inexpensive...and may be expendable...................but God bless the Captains and the crew!

Edited by Mr. Mike
4 people like this

LOL you guys are killing me "Fall o his Sword" keep drinking the Kool Aid. So now the big theory is the Philippine ships Auto Pilot was Hacked to ram the destroyer

Nothing about the US most state of the art ship not seeing a 720 foot container ship bearing down on them

“The Philippines-flagged cargo ship ACX Crystal was under control of a computerized navigation system that was steering and guiding the container vessel, according to officials familiar with preliminary results of an ongoing Navy investigation.Investigators so far found no evidence the collision was deliberate.

Nevertheless, an accident during computerized navigation raises the possibility the container ship's computer system could have been hacked and the ship deliberately steered into the USS Fitzgerald, an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer.”

The ship’s tracking data, particularly a part of the record showing how the ship reacted after the collision, is the most telling piece of evidence that it was on autopilot, sources told the Free Beaconthat it’s clear the container ship was on autopilot.

2 minutes ago, cogon88 said:

LOL you guys are killing me "Fall o his Sword" keep drinking the Kool Aid.

It is obvious you have never served in the Military.  There is zero chance the US Navy Captain would blame it on a machine.  A machine that is suppose to be a support item not your sole source of information.  He would never have reached that rank by blaming failure or shortcoming on such items.  

As for not seeing the ship.  There were two radar operators on duty that night and 4 look outs.  Those operators had a duty to let the Captain know they were in proximity to other ships.  They failed and my bet they will be charged with dereliction of duty and there career lights put out.  The Captain will be relieved and forced retirement and never command nothing ever again because of being relieved for Loss of Confidence.   

In my opinion is the Navy is not at fault for the accident but are at fault for avoiding it.  

5 people like this

31 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

It is obvious you have never served in the Military.  There is zero chance the US Navy Captain would blame it on a machine.  

You are bang on the money here, mate.  The captain will accept full responsibility and take it on the chin.  No trying to wriggle out of it.  Given the level of professionalism and personal integrity in the US armed forces one can expect no other outcome.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, USMC-Retired said:

In my opinion is the Navy is not at fault for the accident but are at fault for avoiding it.

I've heard it said that the ship on the starboard side has the right of way (provided there is room to maneuver out of his way).  Is that true. I've also heard it said that that "The heavier vessel always has the right-of-way.".  Is that true?  Serious question here.  Navy guys is it true?  I can provide links but I don't know if the rules apply worldwide so I ask the navy guys.

If so then the cargo ship had the right of way.  If someone hits you, when they have the right of way, then its your fault for not getting out of the way.  How can you blame the ship that had the legal right of way. even if they were on autopilot?  So a play on words to say they are only at fault for "not avoiding it" sounds a lot like BS.

There are specific guidelines to how a ship is suppose to maneuver in and out of ports and shipping lanes.  It is suppose to be a predictable event with ships coming and going.  Now if you divert from this predictable path you are on a collision course and could cause an accident. (hence what happen) With the abilities of the Destroyer she should have been able to avoid a collision.    

What happen is complacency because it is so predictable by the Radar operators and watch crew.   

Your conclusion are drawn for open water not shipping lanes or port operations

Edited by USMC-Retired
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I've heard it said that the ship on the starboard side has the right of way (provided there is room to maneuver out of his way).  Is that true. I've also heard it said that that "The heavier vessel always has the right-of-way.".  Is that true?  Serious question here.  Navy guys is it true?  I can provide links but I don't know if the rules apply worldwide so I ask the navy guys.

If so then the cargo ship had the right of way.  If someone hits you, when they have the right of way, then its your fault for not getting out of the way.  How can you blame the ship that had the legal right of way. even if they were on autopilot?  So a play on words to say they are only at fault for "not avoiding it" sounds a lot like BS.

Certain ships engaging in certain operations automatically have right-of-way. There is also something called the law of gross tonnage that is more a common sense rule of thumb, which doesn't apply here. What it does refer to is not placing yourself in a position where you may have right-of-way but it doesn't make a difference because the big azz ship can't stop in time and will crunch you due to it's size so, stay out of the way.

Ships on the right do have the right-of-way in a crossing situation however, if the ship is aft of you, or, is otherwise overtaking you, they do not have the right-of-way. They must treat you as the "stand on" vessel and avoid you. 

1 person likes this

On 6/19/2017 at 8:48 PM, Soarking said:

I think the next time that container puts out to sea we need to have a submarine sneak up behind it and stick a torpedo up its ass.

Then leave a cardboard sign floating in the water saying "DRUG DEALER".   A little cardboard justice.

ENUFF,    I didn't know Stevie Wonder was ever in the Navy.

No way a US submarine will find and track the stealth freighter pride of the Philippines black ops fleet,