PhilsFan

LinC guide to stopping the terrorists in Philippines

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This thread is my attempt to query our members for real solutions to the rising threat of foreign ISIS operatives coming into the country we love. We have a large number of members with war-fighting experience and deep knowledge of the culture here. My intent is to have a thoughtful and reasoned discussion on effective approachs to defeating the rising threat from ISIS and other terror groups in the Philippines. This is serious for me as I live on Mindano and have no desire to leave due to terorristic threats to my family. We have already made small changes to our routine, ie. limiting time spent at Malls and the days of the week we visit them.

I believe it is possible to nip this problem in the ass before it gets out of control.  "Nuke em' All" is not a realistic solution but I would welcome your thoughtful response. I will start this out with some of my thoughts:

It is my belief that the only way to stop them is if ALL filipinos (Muslim and Christian alike) work to together to stop the terror and bloodshed. D30 is in a unique position in this regard as he has the respect of most of the Christian and Muslim population. 

1) Using the model already proven to be effective in slowing the drug problem (I agree it is not perfect) D30 could pay a "Bounty" for terrorists killed or captured. Mobilize and train the citizens to report (or kill) the non-filipino muslims that come into their communities. It's a hell of a lot cheaper (and more effective, IMHO) to give a 100,000-200,000 peso reward to some local muslim or christian guys then to fight them with the military. I realize that some new immigrant innocents might be killed or at minimum harrased, but word would get out quick, the innocent muslim immigrants would stop coming to Phils until the problem is resolved.

2) Set-up border patrols with local citizens using the "carrot" of becoming rich through hunting them down as they come off the boat on these very pourous coastlines. Use booby-traps if there are known travel routes being used to ferry these guys into communities. Touching down on a shoreline anywhere should result in a group of financially motivated "hunters' checking out each Banka coming to shore. The idea here is to nail them before they can organize and hook up with their main group.

3) Imbed their best soldiers (perhaps out of uniform?) with small groups of locals. Form squads of 4-10 "hunters" and give them assigned territory. 

Let's  not forget how effective the filipino's were in WW2 making the Japanese time here not so nice for them in less populated areas. If you unite the people, the terorists can be defeated.

Just a few of my thoughts...some may be ineffective but you have to start somewhere. Anbody else have some good ideas?

Edited by PhilsFan
3 people like this

Send the US attorneys after them, they can sue them into oblivion.

Follow the money, the money is being transferred somehow, find a bank involved in it and blow it up.  The rest of them will not touch the money so no more terrorists.  

Either solution will work.   

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

A shift to federalism would be beneficial to defeating terrorism. In a country that is made up of literally thousands of islands and contains dozens of individual nations within its borders, it's the only way to insure that each region can be fairly represented and achieve a better quality of life for its citizens. Federalism would also lead to better leadership, accountability, and efficiency, and it will allow each region to better manage their own economic development. 

Manila is too far away and too far removed from many regions and its leadership is not in touch with the realities and the practical needs of the people who live outside of the NCR. I also believe that Federalism is the only solution that can bring a lasting peace to the country, especially in Mindanao. The Philippines is too diverse culturally to be a unitary state. 

There also needs to be better educational and job opportunities in the ARMM where much of the Islamic terrorism originates. For example, during the Zamboanga siege participants were offered just P10,000 to fight against government troops. That doesn't sound like much, but to someone who is only earning P2-3,000 a month, it sounds like a good opportunity. A recent Maute member that was captured near Marawi claimed that foot soldiers are getting paid P14,000 a month to join their ranks. That is well above what the average Filipino earns each month; even those having four year degrees. So it's easy to see how an individual with less than a high school education earning a couple thousand pesos a month would be tempted by such an offer. 

I have traveled to many areas in the ARMM and the situation is pretty dire in some communities. There is poverty everywhere in the Philippines, but it is more widespread in the ARMM than anywhere else. Most of the people in the ARMM provinces earn less than a couple thousand pesos a month if they are lucky and they see joining groups like the Maute and the Abu Sayyaf as an opportunity to earn a lot of money in a short amount of time. In other words, they are doing this out of desperation and opportunity for themselves rather than supporting the actual cause of the these groups. 

So in addition to federalism, another way to help defeat these groups is to make joining them less attractive to potential recruits. This can be done by improving the lives of those who live in the provinces where these groups are recruiting. Improving infrastructure as well as providing educational and livelihood opportunities to people would go a long way in changing the attitude and mindset of those who live in these impoverished areas. If the government can show that they care more about the people than the terrorist groups, then the terrorist groups will loose their primary recruiting tool. It will take a concerted effort by not only the national government, but also local government organizations, NGO's, as well as the people themselves to make this happen. 

There also needs to be a way to stop the influx of outside funding. Most of the money funding terrorism in the Philippines is coming from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Money is also coming from the illegal drug trade within the country, and the government is already addressing that issue. The route the government has taken is up for debate on how effective it has been or will be in the long run, but at least they are trying to solve the problem.  

The terrorism problem in the Philippines didn't appear overnight and it will take a long time to solve. There are a lot of disgruntled individuals and groups in Mindanao and the roots of the problem go back more than a century which makes the pool of possible recruits unlimited. There's a lot of frustration among the Moro groups, and the failure to pass the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) during the last administration only added to these frustrations. Passage of that, or a similar law would probably go a long way in alleviating some of the problem as well.  

Unfortunately it may be too late for Mindanao. I hope that is not the case, but recent trends are disturbing. The Marawi conflict has revealed that these groups are well trained, have sophisticated weapons, are getting fighters from outside the country, and a willingness to fight to the death. There are also new groups forming well outside the normal breeding grounds for terrorism in Mindanao. The Jama’at al-Muhajirin wa al-Ansar bi al-Filibin (JMAF) for example is the latest. It's claimed territory stretches from Cotabato to Davao and has been receiving training in urban warfare from a Saudi national. They have already sworn their allegiance to the IS, and will be needing to prove their worthiness very soon. 

I have mentioned this before on this forum, but what we are seeing now is unlike anything the Philippines has faced in the past. I hope this part of the world does not go the same way as the Middle East, but there is at least a slight chance that it could. On a positive note, here in the Philippines, the Bangsamoro traditions and customs are far more compassionate than Wahhabism which is what most of these terrorist groups follow and are currently trying to spread in Mindanao. I can see most of the Moro people opposing this and fighting hand in hand with the government in preventing this type of extremism from taking hold here.

The government has been taking the right approach so far in not "bombing the shit" out of the communities where large pockets of these terrorist find refuge. A continuation of trying to reduce collateral damage and civilian deaths while focusing on taking out the individual terrorist and the leadership will go a long way in showing the Muslim community that the government is concerned for their well being and preservation of their communities. After the conflict in Marawi is settled, a quick response from the government in addressing the damage and returning the city to some type of normalcy will also be crucial. 

So in summery, federalism, passage of the BBL, better opportunity, stronger ties with the Muslim community, and taking out the leadership, foreign fighters, and financing of these terrorist groups will solve most of the problems. The next 6 to 12 months should be enough time tell us which direction things are likely to go. 

Edited by Tullioz
10 people like this

Give a hundred thousand to anyone who report an angry, disgruntled, jobless, armed, independence-seeking, possible terrorist or potential troublemaker, and kill the reported guy.

They can't do that legally. But that's how commies deal with dissents, by turning everyone against each other. Highly effective.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Tullioz said:

A shift to federalism would be beneficial

Good luck with that one. Those in power would never go for it.

Of the 192 UN member states, only 27 are Federations, while 165 are governed as unitary states. 

Leading examples of the federation or federal state include the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Switzerland, Australia and India.

4 hours ago, PhilsFan said:

snip

It is my belief that the only way to stop them is if ALL filipinos (Muslim and Christian alike) work to together to stop the terror and bloodshed. D30 is in a unique position in this regard as he has the respect of most of the Christian and Muslim population. 

snip

Just a few of my thoughts...some may be ineffective but you have to start somewhere. Anbody else have some good ideas?

Good thoughts but problem. Muslims will never assimilate because you will never ever get rid of the 10 percent of any Muslim population that interprets the Quran and the teachings of their prophet literally. Unpossible.

Islam is not a religion, it is a political system masquerading as a religion. make no mistake.

To even venture forth with such a proposal like "together" means you do not fully understand what you are up against.

To understand Islam, you must study the life of their prophet, Mohammad, the uncontested by Islamic scholars version. Then you will know that in one case Mohammad lined up 900 men and boys of a Jewish tribe living in Saudi Arabia long before Islam and had them all beheaded, then took their women as slaves and raped them that very night. This is true and Islamic scholars will not disagree. you will not believe how bad it gets. What they have now they butchered and slaughtered their way into.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/muhammad/life-of-muhammad.aspx

And you must know the Quran. The verses of hate, the verses of violence. Allah does not love unbelievers, quite the contrary. And all good Muslims know the Quran by memory. That shit is ingrained into their heads.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/quran/violence.aspx

I am under no illusion of "together" with Muslims. no such thing will ever happen. But I also do not believe in interference in Muslim countries or any sovereign nation for that matter. Does not matter how much Muslims slaughter each other, what they do is their business. The intervention into Muslim countries was because progressive criminals are infesting the US government. True constitutional conservatives, like the founding fathers, wound never intervene in other sovereign nations affairs.

I do not seek to harm Muslims. I do not give a shit what they do. But plenty of Muslims want to harm me and you too. Commanded by the book of hate. Islam is always at war with all. no other political system or even religion is.

There has to be an understanding. Islam is a political system masquerading as a religion. With only one goal, the submission of all to it. not compatible with any other non Islamic country.

Muslims need to stay in their countries and we need to stay in ours. Lets just agree to do good business with each other in peace. That is the only solution.

Do your research like I have, or not.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

If you think WE can do what politicians worldwide couldn't then I have ony 1 solution that fits:
Convert to Islam yourself - so the terrorist wont kill you!
And that gives you also more possibilities like more than 1 woman ... Lol

On the other hand - I learn selfdefense and also think about learn to use rifles/guns again - learn shooting so in case I get a hand on a M14 I can fight back better.

Edited by Goetz1965

Posted (edited)

Dude,

I am not suggesting the Christians walk hand-in-hand with Muslims. I believe your right that when tensions are high, they don't mix well. Heck, they don't like each other much when there are no tensions. Assimilation as you correctly maintain, will never happen. But if you get Muslims and Christians doing the same things (hunting down the new muslim arrivals) if for no other reason than for the money and safety of their own communities then they ARE in effect, working together to solve a mutual problem.

I have no wish to study the Quran. I could give a feck about religion in general as I believe it creates more problems than it solves.  Appreciate your input and point of view Davedude.

Edited by PhilsFan
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, davedude said:

Good thoughts but problem. Muslims will never assimilate because you will never ever get rid of the 10 percent of any Muslim population that interprets the Quran and the teachings of their prophet literally. Unpossible.

Islam is not a religion, it is a political system masquerading as a religion. make no mistake.

To even venture forth with such a proposal like "together" means you do not fully understand what you are up against.

For those who say "they're not that bad or not all are or it's only a few" 10% of  2 bil is 200,000,000 and they approach the problem for a civilized Western point of view

They would never think to sacrifice themselves or their children.

Fundamental inability to comprehend.

1 person likes this

You want to end the Islamic Extremist problem around the world? Nuke Saudi Arabia, and the root of the problem disappears. All of the money and motivation for this movement comes from Saudi Arabia. It needs to be snuffed out like a candle ... at its source. This was obvious to many as early as 2001. The US shouldn't have attacked Iraq. We should have attacked Saudi Arabia. Even the Saudis royals saw it. They fled their country in droves on September 11, 2001 ... anticipating an attack by the US. The Saudi royal family and the other wealthy Saudis are behind almost all of the Muslim unrest in the world.

5 people like this