2 hours ago, ugly american said:

I would like the top floor, then if the building collapses you can jump just before it hits the ground. 

You mean like the people in the World Trade Center towers?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lee said:

that can crush your wittle arse.

You can't talk to Paul like that...  :cool:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ugly american said:

I would like the top floor, then if the building collapses you can jump judt before it hits the ground. 

You must have got that idea from watching an old cartoon where a bear in a phone booth gets shoved off a cliff and steps out of it right when it hits the ground and smashes to bits while he just walks away.  You'd have better luck maybe jumping off with a beach umbrella and float down like Mary Poppins.

• Like 3

I used to think that house building in the Philippines was being done wrong. Build the walls in a trench. Then concrete the floor inside of the house after it was built.  I thought they should build western style. Slab first. Then build the house on the slab.

However, after being in houses during earthquakes where the whole house is moving in relation to the floor and seeing how houses are still standing after multiple earthquakes. With no damage or maybe a minor crack in a wall from movement. I have changed my mind! Maybe there is something to building the walls first then floor later.

A building that I have been waiting a while to see lying flat on the ground from an earthquake is the Raddison Blu in Cebu City, adjacent to SM Cebu City mall. It is built on reclaimed land. The area is marked on my 1944 Cebu City map as Lazarino Shoal. The hotel was condemned on completion because it was on a lean. They spent years pumping out water to straighten it. If the building was short and squat, I would have no issue entering it. However, it is tall and slim and at this stage, I have no plans to ever set foot inside.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

However, after being in houses during earthquakes where the whole house is moving in relation to the floor and seeing how houses are still standing after multiple earthquakes. With no damage or maybe a minor crack in a wall from movement. I have changed my mind! Maybe there is something to building the walls first then floor later.

It certainly does seem to allow for more flexibility as opposed to a "raft" slab that is poured ontop of the footings , by giving the walls more independence during the shake , rattle and roll episodes. 

On 5/23/2017 at 9:23 PM, Jim_in_Jax said:

You must have got that idea from watching an old cartoon where a bear in a phone booth gets shoved off a cliff and steps out of it right when it hits the ground and smashes to bits while he just walks away.  You'd have better luck maybe jumping off with a beach umbrella and float down like Mary Poppins.

Great idea

:)

On 5/23/2017 at 9:17 PM, Headshot said:

You mean like the people in the World Trade Center towers?

They left too soon

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:43 AM, Kabisay-an gid said:

Thanks for proving my point.

The Diplomat Hotel is 8 stories, which classifies it as a MID-RISE. A high-rise is 12 stories or greater.

I repeat - not one high-rise in Cebu City collapsed and nobody died in a high-rise in the 2012 and 2013 earthquakes. An impressive record that mid-rises and low-rises can't match.

It's considerably safer to be on the 20th floor of a modern high-rise building than in a mid-rise or low-rise, especially the older ones.

Also, you're obviously confusing cosmetic/superficial damage and structural damage - two different things. Any damage that can be "plastered over" is cosmetic or superficial, such as cracks in interior room walls. Collapsed false ceilings and fallen light fixtures are other examples of cosmetic/superficial damage that might look nasty, but doesn't adversely affect the structural integrity of the main frame of the building.

Replace fear with knowledge, and you won't die of a heart attack if you're in a modern high-rise building when the next earthquake hits. :)

I have never had a brick fall on my head in over 60 years so that is proof it cant happen ... what goes up must come down

Edited by smokey

On 24/05/2017 at 9:54 AM, Jim Sibbick said:

I used to think that house building in the Philippines was being done wrong. Build the walls in a trench. Then concrete the floor inside of the house after it was built.  I thought they should build western style. Slab first. Then build the house on the slab.

A building that I have been waiting a while to see lying flat on the ground from an earthquake is the Raddison Blu in Cebu City, adjacent to SM Cebu City mall. It is built on reclaimed land. The area is marked on my 1944 Cebu City map as Lazarino Shoal. The hotel was condemned on completion because it was on a lean. They spent years pumping out water to straighten it. If the building was short and squat, I would have no issue entering it. However, it is tall and slim and at this stage, I have no plans to ever set foot inside.

Oh come on man live a little and step inside.... if the floor starts to jiggle and the walls start to wiggle you still have the option to exit via front or via back... that's still a 50%-50% chance the building will not fall over on to you. Those would be pretty good odds in Vegas....