11 hours ago, Jester said:

You guys always complaining about something.  Things are built all over the Pi's with no foundations and not that many of them collapse, so you lose one here and there whats the big deal. Of course I do wonder about those multi story condos in Cebu?        

Cebu City got rocked by pretty strong earthquakes in February of 2012 and October of 2013. There are dozens of high-rise buildings in Cebu City. None of them collapsed and nobody died in any of them as a result of either earthquake.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Cebu City got rocked by pretty strong earthquakes in February of 2012 and October of 2013. There are dozens of high-rise buildings in Cebu City. None of them collapsed and nobody died in any of them as a result of either earthquake.

The 2013 Bohol earthquake was magnitude 7.2 or 7.3 at the epicenter, but because of the reflective action of the six major faults between the epicenter and Cebu City, it was felt more as a 6.5 to 6.7 around the Cebu Metro area. If that same earthquake occurred directly under the city (where there ARE faults), instead of under the next island over, the results might be very different (because the shock waves would be reflected back toward the city by surrounding faults rather than away from it).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The 2013 Bohol earthquake was magnitude 7.2 or 7.3 at the epicenter, but because of the reflective action of the six major faults between the epicenter and Cebu City, it was felt more as a 6.5 to 6.7 around the Cebu Metro area. If that same earthquake occurred directly under the city (where there ARE faults), instead of under the next island over, the results might be very different (because the shock waves would be reflected back toward the city by surrounding faults rather than away from it).

A 6.5 ain't no joke, yet still no high-rise collapses or deaths in Cebu City.

Perhaps my eyes are bad, but I wasn't able to find even one earthquake that originated in faults running under Cebu City in the entire 20th and so far in the 21st century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_the_Philippines#Early_20th_century

The Luym building is about 50 years old, but still survived the earthquake without serious damage. The newer high-rises built in the last 25 years will withstand even more.

• Like 1

Manila 1968

Philippines earthquake

11 minutes ago, oztony said:

Manila 1968

Philippines earthquake

Jester, Headshot and I were referring to high-rise buildings in Cebu.

Your photo is of the Ruby Tower, a 6-story low-rise building in Manila - built to 1950's Philippine building standards.

If you want to include Manila in the conversation, fine - but how about giving us an example of a modern high-rise building built in the last 25 years that collapsed. There are hundreds of high-rises in Metro Manila, so surely you can come up with some examples. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Jester, Headshot and I were referring to high-rise buildings in Cebu.

Your photo is of the Ruby Tower, a 6-story low-rise building in Manila - built to 1950's Philippine building standards.

If you want to include Manila in the conversation, fine - but how about giving us an example of a modern high-rise building built in the last 25 years that collapsed. There are hundreds of high-rises in Metro Manila, so surely you can come up with some examples. Thanks! :)

I can't see anywhere , where this conversation is to be restricted to highrise buildings in Cebu .... amazing stuff really..

Carry on talking about what you wish , but just refer to the topic title before you start spruking your own agenda ... cheers 

Edited by oztony

1 hour ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

A 6.5 ain't no joke, yet still no high-rise collapses or deaths in Cebu City.

Perhaps my eyes are bad, but I wasn't able to find even one earthquake that originated in faults running under Cebu City in the entire 20th and so far in the 21st century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_the_Philippines#Early_20th_century

The Luym building is about 50 years old, but still survived the earthquake without serious damage. The newer high-rises built in the last 25 years will withstand even more.

Do you know what "geologic time" means? Faults often have event intervals of hundreds or thousands of years. For many faults, it has been so long since they triggered that they aren't even mapped. That does NOT mean that they aren't there, and that doesn't mean that they aren't capable of producing a major quake.

I was here during the 2013 quake. I know exactly what it felt like. I also know that if that quake had been directly under the city, the effects would have been up to ten times as bad. It is impossible to know whether or not high-rise buildings would have collapsed if the quake had been in close proximity, but I wouldn't be standing around in the shadow of one of these buildings to find out either.

During the 2013 quake, the only major damage (total or near total failure) in the Cebu metro area was to the Basilica of Santo Niño and to the SRP Gaisano Mall. That doesn't mean there was no damage to other structures. There were buildings all over the metro area that sustained structural damage. It was mostly cracks in structural members and wall rendering that fell off or cracked, but it was there. Most of the damage was "repaired" by opening the cracks with a concrete nail, and plastering over them (not exactly a structural fix). So you can assume that if there is another quake down the road, this damage will likely reopen and may be magnified.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

No need to take offense. I wasn't trying to limit the conversation to Cebu - I clearly stated in my previous post:

No offense taken , but this thread is open to all and any failings and or collapses in regards to structures in the Philippines

whether they be caused by wind ,earthquake,  rain or aunty Mae's over zealous cleaning techniques ....

If you want "examples" of things , jump onto google and click away ....

Another design failure , collapse caused by earthquake but something tells me the engineer or builder got the overhang weight to ratio to support columns horribly wrong on this one. Look at the last pic I blew up , there is no steel in that column , or very little ...unless it just snapped clean...

Related image

Image result for mindanao earthquake 2017

Related image

Capturedw.PNG

Feb 2017 4.6   Davao..

Edited by oztony

This is a split topic

IMHO the overhang in Davao that collapsed was built incorrectly, no posts on the outside and there does not even appear to be much rebar if any in the columns that support it and those columns were too small too,

Here are photos of many collapsed buildings within the Philippines  http://tinyurl.com/lvpjk65

I do not see any tall condos and only a few 5 or so story buildings and even those were not totally destroyed, so that makes me wonder if tall buildings are built to a much different standard or if just maybe low buildings may be more subject to falling down during earthquakes, since there is less area to spread the shock to and much less rebar in them. 

I cannot speak to if a condo may fall or not, as that is an unknown but during the 2012 earthquake plenty of low buildings in Cebu and Bohol did crumble and no condos that I heard of on Cebu or Bohol were seriously damage, now was that due to the age of the smaller buildings, or because they were closer to the ground, or because the lower buildings had little rebar in them, or all of the above, time may tell, but I have had walls removed from our two condo units and from the one we sold and the walls are chock full of rebar, is that the case in low buildings, I think know not. 

• Like 1