Richard K

Pork Fat

16 posts in this topic

I have been dealing with heart issues for years, several heart atttacks, two open heart surgeries, defibrilator implant, more procedures than I can remember. I was on all the low fat diets and it did not help at all. Being a thinking person I thought of how animal fat could cause cholesterol  to cause cardiac problems. If animal fat is where most cholesterol is and we have a buildup of cholesterol in our bodies, where did the animals get it? Pigs, cows, chickens etc don't eat meat so where did they get cholesterol? They get it from grains. So I stopped eating grains or at least most of it and eat all the animals I want. After many years of this I'm in good health. My cardiologist told me last January that I was doing very well and also sided with my decision not to take statins, which I hadn't for three years anyway. He also told me that doctors were beginning to change their minds about animal fat causing heart issues.

3 people like this

On 5/18/2017 at 9:37 AM, dart69 said:

Try going off the diet for a weekend then restarting it. I found that when I plateaued that process kick started the weight loss again.

Thanks I'll give that a try.  Found recipe for ice cream that is moderate carb so will make a gallon and restart in two weeks.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, RogerDat said:

Crisco will coat your insides, buy lard will digest, and become fat again

Did you know a very simple to make but extremely useful emergency candle is only a cupboard away? An interesting fact. The Crisco brand was originally a candle company.

Did you know a very simple to make but extremely useful emergency 45 day candle  The Crisco brand was originally a candle company ... So don't fart and hold a match to it or you just might burn for 45 days lol

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I see crisco is trans fatty acid free now -  thats what research found out - its not the saturated fats that hurt us - it was the trans shaped saturated fatty acids that form when oils are artificially hydrogenated.  (they take liquid oils like soy oil and pump hydrogen gas through them in a nickel catalyst environment)   Trans shaped  isomers are not found in nature - it seems our body doesn't know what to do with them -  Cis shaped isomers in saturated fats are what nature makes - our body does know how to handle them 

Image result for cis and trans isomers

Edited by goggleye
add image

it's not so much that pork in the states is trimmed more .. it's raised to be leaner because of the demand for a healthier leaner meat.. you will see this easily if you buy whole pigs to cook lechon style in the states ..as i do sometimes

as far as the skin you can buy pork shoulder roasts and whole pork shoulders with the skin on. and plenty of it

my wife made one yesterday in fact, slow roasted it, bought it for her as a surprise was a 23 pound whole pork shoulder.. very large.. she is eating some crunch skin right now as i type this

2 people like this

I hadn't used pork fat (lard) for years; probably going back over 30 years until around a year ago when I read a few articles that indicated that it's probably not as harmful as we all thought.  Until then I had mainly used olive oil and, since moving to RP, coconut oil.  I still use the latter 2 but have now added lard to my diet and I do agree that food cooked in it tastes wonderful; particularly pork but also battered fish, french fries (chips to us Brits).  I had forgotten just how good food tastes when cooked in lard.  I usually buy raw pork fat at the market and then render it down to make lard; takes a little over an hour to make a months supply.