Richard K

Pork Fat

16 posts in this topic

I know it is unhealthy... but I F'KIN LOVE IT.  When I lived in the states I could every so often get what was sold as "Fresh side pork".. basically uncured bacon. The pork bought in the store had almost ALL of the fat cut off and NEVER had any skin...dry and hard to even cook to make it even bearable... here in the Phils? delicious pork fat is abundant.. fried up pork belly with crispy outside fat and crunchy skin is what I hope heaven has on the table.

Abundant fried pork belly.. abundant p*ssy?.. who can say this is not paradise?.. 

I know this is not very PC.. and all of you guys who go to the gym and eat only "healthy".. good for you... but for me?.. a good thick slab of fried up crispy belly meat a a few easy over eggs with toast and some decent orange marmalade is the breakfast fit for a king. 

5 people like this

I have been telling people that but they continue to whine about awful food here!

In Banana Leaf they have "Thai marinated pork" made wrongly into Chinese Dongpo pork, very delicious!

u34675962711519703098fm23gp05.jpg

Isn't there some controversy about animal fat being bad for you? Isn't it true that animal fat is natural and good and that man made vegetable oils are a problem?

We quit buying veggie oils or anything that has veggie oils in it and use only-------wait for it------------bacon grease to cook in! I save all the clean bacon grease and do my simple cooking in it. When we need a big panful of grease to cook we use lard.

I think it will be proven that the food industry and the medical community have been killing people with the crap they engineer and promote.

Your pork belly is actually less of a problem than you might think. We like it also. And lechon babouy!

4 people like this

My mom used to use lard to make pie crust... to this day it was the best I ever had... I make french fries with lard... I save my bacon grease too.. try a little to grease the pan if you make grilled cheese sandwiches...grilled sharp cheddar with onion and tomato cooked in bacon fat.. hard to beat that with any stick..:P

Have to admit, there is something about fried pork....

Sometimes I get a hankering for Crispy Pata, Lechon Kawali and Chicharrones.

But my absolute favorite is Liempo - available on many street corners!

1 person likes this

I avoid the roasted pig here as my former dead neighbors, when combined with rum, died by age 38 or so.

Crisco will coat your insides, buy lard will digest, and become fat again.

Just one word ... Humba.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reminder.  I grew up on pork fat and loved it.  My mom would save the fat from bacon and use that to cook eggs or anything else that required oil.  She saved the bacon fat in a container next to the stove.  It did not even have to be refrigerated.  I think most of the post war families did that, and probably before.  My father is Danish and grew up on a farm where they cooked exclusively with pork fat and continued to do so even though they had milking cows and all the butter they wanted.  Contrary to common belief it is not the road to early death if used in moderation.  It is superior to butter and olive oil when cooking.  Do a search on the internet and start saving your bacon fat.

Edited by Kreole
1 person likes this

Oddly fat is a main part of low carb high fat diet.  I/m on my second month and the weight loss has slowed a lot.  First thirty days loss 20# in last 2 weeks about 5#s.  245#s down to less than 220. hope to get to 210.

Best diet ever........all the bacon you can eat.  Coconut oil, Olive oil used for all.  15 point drop in blood pressure, have appointment to lower dose of meds, already dropped one med, lowers blood sugar and increases the good cholesterol.......no statin drugs necessary ...

Down side...no sweets potatoes rice or other starch.  Oh the sacrifice........pas the bacon/ 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, ugly american said:

...  I/m on my second month and the weight loss has slowed a lot.  ...

Try going off the diet for a weekend then restarting it. I found that when I plateaued that process kick started the weight loss again.

2 people like this