poby

bad guys hanging around

84 posts in this topic

Recently a couple of neighbours have been burgled (when they weren't home) and now a couple of shifty looking characters (wearing balaclava masks) have been seen hanging around our house at 2am in the morning.  The neighbour who saw them tried to stay hidden and was ready with his gun to shoot to kill if they tried to climb the 9 foot wall.  But they noticed him in the shadows and moved on.  Our house is never vacant and there isn't anything worth much to steal.  But what worries us is someone getting hurt.  (Obviously by "someone" I don't mean the criminals.)  My father in law lives in the nipa hut in the back yard and he insists if he sees any bad guys he has a knife and will use it.  But he is around 65 years old and it would be much better if, were it to happen he just shut up and gave them anything they wanted.

We currently spend most of our time in Australia but eventually we plan to move back here more or less permanently.  Now I hate guns with a passion but I hate dogs slightly more so I'm thinking when we do come back here to live, I will get Mrs licensed and learned to shoot and we will keep a loaded gun (locked up) just in case.  She says that in the Philippines it is perfectly legal to kill bad guys on your property.  I assume the presumption being that by being there, they represent a clear and present danger to life and limb. (One of the ways Philippines is way ahead of p*ssy countries like Australia).  I'm very much in favor of bad guys being shot dead.  Saves a whole lot of paperwork and imprisonment costs, not to mention reducing recidivism.  Much as I would enjoy doing it myself, I don't think kanos are legally allowed a gun so Mrs will be the one to take out the trash.

A 9 foot CHB wall helps but it may also entice.  They may think the big wall is there to protect lots of valuables.  Which is true in as much as what we value most is family.

7 people like this

1 hour ago, poby said:

My father in law lives in the nipa hut in the back yard and he insists if he sees any bad guys he has a knife and will use it.  But he is around 65 years old

Never underestimate an old man with a knife...

My grandfather died prematurely at 92 when he was unarmed...

1 hour ago, poby said:

I will get Mrs licensed and learned to shoot

Never teach the wife to shoot...thats what happened to grandpa

1 hour ago, poby said:

in the Philippines it is perfectly legal to kill bad guys on your property.

In the US you need to drag them inside to prove they were breaking and entering. I don't know what the laws are here but I suspect that would present evidence that your lives were in danger.

Also, after you shoot them and drag them inside...this is a perfect time to give the wife the gun and call the Pulis

8 people like this

12 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Also, after you shoot them and drag them inside...this is a perfect time to give the wife the gun and call the Pulis

I have wondered about this and I guess the answer would be if the investigators run the residue test on your hand to see if you're the one that fired the weapon then you're done for.  Not saying that saving my family members isn't worth it.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

I have wondered about this and I guess the answer would be if the investigators run the residue test on your hand to see if you're the one that fired the weapon then you're done for.  Not saying that saving my family members isn't worth it.

When you lock the gun up,  leave a pair of gloves with it,   so no powder residue will get on your hands ?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, poby said:

A 9 foot CHB wall helps

In Liloan, Cebu I felt fairly safe with a 14 foot high CHB wall completely surrounding the place, until I saw my male gardening helper coming in early one morning when I had not unlocked the gate.  It took him 14 seconds to get over the wall.  He was up a tree on the other side, jumped to the top of the wall, jumped to a tree on the inside, and he was in . .  and fired on the spot.  Last thing I needed was my help showing the bad guys how to get in.

Replace the old guys knife (noyfe in Aus) with a 9mm hand gun and all the ammo he can carry, IMO.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, lolhahaha said:

Replace the old guys knife (noyfe in Aus) with a 9mm hand gun and all the ammo he can carry, IMO.

You might want to get him checked out for cataracts first.

So am I correct in my assumption that legally, we're not allowed to use any weapon to defend ourselves here?

Edited by Jim_in_Jax
Add to the topic

Get a gun. Fire four shots into the ground at 3:00 am one morning. When the neighbors come to see what's going on tell the there were some guys in your yard. You think you wounded one of them but they got away. Word will get around and nobody will go in your yard in the middle of the night. 

13 people like this

Posted (edited)

Good Topic , get some video night vision cams , if you shoot intruder breaking into your house ,,,,, I think even if your a foreigner, gun registered to your Wife or other family member , you have some rights to protect your family ...But also complicated if you had zero training with firearms ,,  

Edited by Humboldt
1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, Edwin said:

You think you wounded one of them but they got away

Splatter some chicken blood in a trail off the property to add to the story

1 hour ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

I wouldn't worry about forensics too much here in the Phils unless it was a questionable incident. If you are really taking out a bad guy the Pulis will probably give you an award...especially in the province.

In the US you would probably only be charged with a minor illegal possession charge if that. 

1 person likes this