Sign in to follow this  
Lee

Wells Fargo heads up

I post this just to give people a heads up.

Now this may be with other US banks too but so far I have not had any problems signing into our other accounts with credit unions and banks, so here is the problem,
WF now requires text verification, they used to have voice verification where they read me the numbers to put in and that worked great for me when here up until now, so now it would not be a problem except they will not text to a foreign phone and my US AT&T prepaid phone, that is registered with them, does not work here and their system cannot text to a VOIP phone, I tried Google Voice and my Magic Jack, so I guess I should go back to T-Mobile since they have wifi calling or probably register my wife's T-Mobile cellphone number and bring a wifi calling phone with me just for occasions such as this, anyway the problem is that with all the verification in the world that they asked me, none of it means squat to them if I do not have my Wells Fargo ATM card with me, since I apparently need the numbers from the back of the ATM card and the expiration date of it. 

Anyway this is just a heads up for those of you who do not live in the Philippines full time, I suspect the rest will have their cards with them. I did not bring our WF card this trip because I am using my Fidelity ATM due to no fees and a better exchange rate and I never had a problem before getting into my WF account online in all the past years of travel. 

Also be aware in today's crazy world, this could happen to anyone from any country with all the added security.

https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

I don't know any detail regarding T-Mobile, but I have my Sprint SIM in slot 2 of my dual SIM phone.  I get free roaming for data and text, and charged something similar to the T-Mobile rate for voice calls (I never use the voice, don't pickup or make calls, just call back on Skype as needed).

With Sprint's Global free roaming you're limited to 2G for data (SMART is their partner here in phils), but I use my SMART SIM for that anyway.  In other countries, even at 2G Messenger, etc. are typically usable.

The point is that you may already have the ability to receive SMS here in phils, for free, you might just have to get 'unlocked' or signup or something with T-Mobile.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikal said:

The point is that you may already have the ability to receive SMS here in phils, for free, you might just have to get 'unlocked' or signup or something with T-Mobile.

T-Mobile uses wifi calling, thus anywhere there is a wifi, it is just like being on a US cell tower, as for my AT&T, if I was postpaid then they have wifi calling too but my phone is prepaid and I am not sure how the AT&T wifi calling works, now as for Verizon, again postpaid can roam for a fee, I do not know about Sprint and all our phones are unlocked and dual sim, so we use Philippine sims in them while here and shut off our US sim but I did turn on my AT&T sim in hopes it might work to receive that text but there was no signal on that sim. 

Back to the topic, members should just be aware that any of you may need to be able to receive text on your home countries phone if your banks should implement the same security that Wells Fargo has now implemented.