On 7/25/2017 at 7:58 PM, survivor adik said:

Another option is to take the RORO from Tabuelan to Escalante and then another 1.5-2 hour drive to Bacolod. Would save him some time since he doesn't need to go down all the way to Toledo

Have you done that trip lately. I heard the ferry was very spasmodic ,and the road out of Escalante is badly cut up with all the sugar cane trucks

I didn't get off Bantayan till July. Turned out, a lot of loose ends to tie up (and no, not women tied to a bedposts). Got an offer on land I had there, and "Filipino time" took over. In the end, I just gave my multicab and atv to a friend and left. Spent some time researching it all, and decided to try Baguio for 4-6 months and get a feel. Being from Oregon, I must say, seeing and smelling those pine trees nearly brought tears. The pro's: Awesome views/scenery, produce, and the best and cheapest taxi's in the Phils. But, the rest sucked. One driver told me the population there had swelled to 400,000 people, and I did not argue. Densly populated. Only 1 major supermarket...SM. I tried different days and times there and from entering the checkout line to getting into a taxi is 40 minutes at a good time. 1-hour on a Friday afternoon. Long lines everywhere. I also like to walk, and walking there is different. Uphill and downhill, all the time. I saw very few expats, and a few I saw looked miserable. SCARCE cute girls. After a few weeks, I said "feck this" and went to Makati to regroup. 

And I was shocked at that place. When I first came to the Phils, I spent a week in Manila and hated it. Dirty, beggars everywhere. But, Makati is different. Very, very few beggars. Hi end malls and a sense of a well-educated people. Spent 40 days there, struggling to see if I could adapt to such a large city. In the end, decided I could not. Mostly cuz of my PTSD and all the commotion there, but I will say, Makati is an oasis of Manila.

So, I decided to try Subic. Spent 2 weeks in the "Freeport Zone." First, duty free stores there are a scam. p44 for a 375ml bottle of Tanduay...exact same price as a sari-sari on Bantayan Island. Baffling. And that's just an example. But, a very clean place, good roads, law enforcement out visibly, and clean air. Only eyesore there was the pathetic beach. Last 2 weeks, been on Baloy Beach, about 10 km's from Olongapo. Supposed to be the best beach here in Subic, but it sucks. Not much sand. A lot of expats with their girls, but even that is shocking to see after my years on Bantayan. No wonder they drink so much...maybe she get beautiful? The vibe here is the same as my time years ago in Angeles: Seedy, and lots of expats waiting to die.

2 weeks left in my month rental. Stay here and find a reasonable rental, get a cheap used car and explore western Luzon? I hear San Antonio and La Union are nice. Sounds great, right? Here's my problem...it is a different Country here. People leave me alone, but I am like a fly on the wall. In the Visayas (except Leyte and Samar...and a little less in Bacolod), people treat me like an honored guest, like they are happy I'm in their Country, and let's face it, the girls are just better looking. And, I really liked that. Guess I'm just rambling, and tyring to figure out what next.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I didn't get off Bantayan till July. Turned out, a lot of loose ends to tie up (and no, not women tied to a bedposts). Got an offer on land I had there, and "Filipino time" took over. In the end, I just gave my multicab and atv to a friend and left. Spent some time researching it all, and decided to try Baguio for 4-6 months and get a feel. Being from Oregon, I must say, seeing and smelling those pine trees nearly brought tears. The pro's: Awesome views/scenery, produce, and the best and cheapest taxi's in the Phils. But, the rest sucked. One driver told me the population there had swelled to 400,000 people, and I did not argue. Densly populated. Only 1 major supermarket...SM. I tried different days and times there and from entering the checkout line to getting into a taxi is 40 minutes at a good time. 1-hour on a Friday afternoon. Long lines everywhere. I also like to walk, and walking there is different. Uphill and downhill, all the time. I saw very few expats, and a few I saw looked miserable. SCARCE cute girls. After a few weeks, I said "feck this" and went to Makati to regroup. 

And I was shocked at that place. When I first came to the Phils, I spent a week in Manila and hated it. Dirty, beggars everywhere. But, Makati is different. Very, very few beggars. Hi end malls and a sense of a well-educated people. Spent 40 days there, struggling to see if I could adapt to such a large city. In the end, decided I could not. Mostly cuz of my PTSD and all the commotion there, but I will say, Makati is an oasis of Manila.

So, I decided to try Subic. Spent 2 weeks in the "Freeport Zone." First, duty free stores there are a scam. p44 for a 375ml bottle of Tanduay...exact same price as a sari-sari on Bantayan Island. Baffling. And that's just an example. But, a very clean place, good roads, law enforcement out visibly, and clean air. Only eyesore there was the pathetic beach. Last 2 weeks, been on Baloy Beach, about 10 km's from Olongapo. Supposed to be the best beach here in Subic, but it sucks. Not much sand. A lot of expats with their girls, but even that is shocking to see after my years on Bantayan. No wonder they drink so much...maybe she get beautiful? The vibe here is the same as my time years ago in Angeles: Seedy, and lots of expats waiting to die.

2 weeks left in my month rental. Stay here and find a reasonable rental, get a cheap used car and explore western Luzon? I hear San Antonio and La Union are nice. Sounds great, right? Here's my problem...it is a different Country here. People leave me alone, but I am like a fly on the wall. In the Visayas (except Leyte and Samar...and a little less in Bacolod), people treat me like an honored guest, like they are happy I'm in their Country, and let's face it, the girls are just better looking. And, I really liked that. Guess I'm just rambling, and tyring to figure out what next.

I like around Mall of asia much more then in Makati. Besides that  i been to all towns u described and i agree it all. Where to go next? I visited even much other cities in Phills but came to the conclusion that Cebu would be first choice.How about puorto Galera and Puorto Princessa?

@Cebuandrew, Why not try Camiguin, or maybe better, Siquijor? When you need to shop, jump on a ferry over to Dumaguete?

I kinda like Luzon... has much to like.. pretty much all the same to dislike.. but where I am has fresh air.. cool breeze... only an hour to more p*ssy than I can stand and good restaurants when I want to deal to that..50k a year rental... and just told I can stay here as long as I want... I am not sure why I would want to leave... I would like to be close the ocean but?... it will take a good deal to make me move.. :)

When I lived in Bacon, Sorsogon (Southern Luzon), we could buy the essentials as they had a nice market with fantastic fish prices and there were several grocery stores in Sorsogon City. I hardly ever saw another expat except at the market now and then. We would take a day trip to Legazpi, which was about 60 km when we wanted a big city experience. We would usually spend time at the mall and take in a movie. Legazpi was also where the airport was located with daily flights to Manila and flights to Cebu every other day. Back when we lived there in 2010, the cellular signals sucked. Since then, there seems to have been a big improvement.

There are some beautiful beaches in the local area. 

Subic-Beach-Sorsogon-1.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

There was plenty to do in the local area if you liked outdoor activities. There were several nice hot springs parks, whale shark viewing and jungle treks. 

maxresdefault.jpg

3565983808_974e301885_b.jpg

donsol-sorsogon4.jpg

005-Sorsogon-004-1.jpg

DSCF7907.JPG

There are several active volcanoes.

Mount Bulusan rising 1,565 m (5,135 ft) with a base diameter of 15 km (9.3 mi).

mt-bulusan-745.jpg

Mayon Volcano rising 2,462 metres (8,077 ft). Renowned as the "perfect cone" because of its symmetric conical shape.

mayon_by_sinjin_pineda.jpg

http://www.lakwatseradeprimera.com/ten-things-to-do-in-sorsogon/

http://chicintravel.blogspot.com/2012/03/farther-end-of-luzon-sorsogon-bicol.html

https://www.vigattintourism.com/tourism/articles/Experience-the-Province-of-Sorsogon-Bulusan-Philippine-Travel-Destinations

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@Cebuandrew, Why not try Camiguin, or maybe better, Siquijor? When you need to shop, jump on a ferry over to Dumaguete?

Spent a day once getting the tour of Siquijor. Beautiful island, and yes, very short boat trip to Duma. Even weent to a so-called house of witches on a mountain. At one time, was looking at another place near Duma in the hills, called Valencia. Camiguin has seriously intrigued me. Great beaches and tall mountains. But, to let the cat out of the bag,  and I imagine the response from Shadow, I want to see how the next 1-2 years go, to see if ISIS makes southern Phils their new base. A lot of indications they will.

I like around Mall of asia much more then in Makati. Besides that  i been to all towns u described and i agree it all. Where to go next? I visited even much other cities in Phills but came to the conclusion that Cebu would be first choice.How about puorto Galera and Puorto Princessa?

Puerto Galera is very nice. Been there. Pushiest beach vendors in the Phils, and kind of small beaches, though I was only on Sabang. But, it is in my top-10 places I'm currently looking at. Palawan is just off my radar for now.

• Like 1

When I lived in Bacon, Sorsogon (Southern Luzon), we could buy the essentials as they had a nice market with fantastic fish prices and there were several grocery stores in Sorsogon City. I hardly ever saw another expat except at the market now and then. We would take a day trip to Legazpi, which was about 60 km when we wanted a big city experience. We would usually spend time at the mall and take in a movie. Legazpi was also where the airport was located with daily flights to Manila and flights to Cebu every other day. Back when we lived there in 2010, the cellular signals sucked. Since then, there seems to have been a big improvement.

There are some beautiful beaches in the local area. 

Subic-Beach-Sorsogon-1.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

There was plenty to do in the local area if you liked outdoor activities. There were several nice hot springs parks, whale shark viewing and jungle treks. 

maxresdefault.jpg

3565983808_974e301885_b.jpg

donsol-sorsogon4.jpg

005-Sorsogon-004-1.jpg

DSCF7907.JPG

There are several active volcanoes.

Mount Bulusan rising 1,565 m (5,135 ft) with a base diameter of 15 km (9.3 mi).

mt-bulusan-745.jpg

Mayon Volcano rising 2,462 metres (8,077 ft). Renowned as the "perfect cone" because of its symmetric conical shape.

mayon_by_sinjin_pineda.jpg

http://www.lakwatseradeprimera.com/ten-things-to-do-in-sorsogon/

http://chicintravel.blogspot.com/2012/03/farther-end-of-luzon-sorsogon-bicol.html

https://www.vigattintourism.com/tourism/articles/Experience-the-Province-of-Sorsogon-Bulusan-Philippine-Travel-Destinations

Awesome photos Dog. I need to go visit that area. Thanks

• Like 1