Topper

Vaccines

16 posts in this topic

I'll be traveling to the Philippines soon and was wondering if anyone knows of any shots I should get once I get there. Also, where would be a good place to go in Cebu to get them? My doctor gave me a printout of what the Centers for Disease Control recommended,but they are really expensive here in the States and was hoping that they would be cheaper in the Philippines. I'm hoping those of you who have lived there for awhile should know what ones to get. Any other precautions recommended?

Topper

I was given a list of recommended vacines before I came . I got none of them, and have never regretted my decision.  However I live in the city and dont spend a lot of time trecking through the jungle. If i did i would reconsider my decision.  Hep A ? malaria ?

2 people like this

I see they have a vaccine now for Dengue.  That might be handy to get..

1 person likes this

Thanks for your reply Ian. I've been to the PI about 7 times before and never did get any shots and all was fine, but a friend of mine who went got some kind of parasite and it took awhile for him to get it cured. I guess I'm getting a little "gun shy" in my older age and worrying about thing more.

Just now, Kahuna said:

I see they have a vaccine now for Dengue.  That might be handy to get..

That was my thoughts too. Do you know of any place to get one? 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Topper said:

Thanks for your reply Ian. I've been to the PI about 7 times before and never did get any shots and all was fine, but a friend of mine who went got some kind of parasite and it took awhile for him to get it cured. I guess I'm getting a little "gun shy" in my older age and worrying about thing more.

That was my thoughts too. Do you know of any place to get one? 

http://www.philstar.com/health-and-family/2017/03/31/1686369/dengue-vaccine-now-available-over-counter

1 person likes this

As far as I know there is no vaccine against parasites. I couldn't find any on Google either.   I think just keeping clean and being careful what you eat will avoid most parasites.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

The dengue vaccination, to be taken in three doses at zero - six - 12 months interval, can protect the individual from all four strains of the dengue virus. This can be administered to people aged nine to 45 years old.

I see a couple of problems in there for you !  lol

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

The dengue vaccination, to be taken in three doses at zero - six - 12 months interval, can protect the individual from all four strains of the dengue virus. This can be administered to people aged nine to 45 years old.

better take some deet on the trip..   :)

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

Yes, me too. I can't remember the last time I was too young for something. I sure don't have enough time for all 3 shots plus the $160 it would cost. I'll just have to make sure I have enough OFF with me.

2 people like this

I am so happy that I don't get bitten by mosquitoes. No chance of contracting Dengue, Malaria, or Japanese Encephalitis.

2 people like this