Salty Dog

Why Tipping Should Be Banned

221 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tom in Texas said:

One person says they heard something - rumor. Two people say they heard something - fact. 👨‍⚖️

Three people Tom, If one person says to you "nice red shoes" and you know you don't have on red shoes..he is screwing with you, If two people say to you "nice red shoes" you know they are most likely in cohorts..screw them, but, If three people say to you "nice red shoes"  you might want to look down and see if your have on red shoes. 

4 people like this

And, they are not paying taxes on money they do not earn, as is the case with many table service establishments. 

I thought they have to pay a minimum tax based on being tipped at 10%. Sure some customers give less or nothing, but every server I've ever talked to around here, averages over 10%.

I was talking to the general manager at Perkins the other day. She has been trying to hire a couple of managers. I asked why she didn't promote from within. She said none of them wanted to give up working for tips.The manager job would have more than doubled what their current pay is, which is around $5 an hour pay.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I thought they have to pay a minimum tax based on being tipped at 10%. Sure some customers give less or nothing, but every server I've ever talked to around here, averages over 10%.

I was talking to the general manager at Perkins the other day. She has been trying to hire a couple of managers. I asked why she didn't promote from within. She said none of them wanted to give up working for tips.The manager job would have more than doubled what their current pay is, which is around $5 an hour pay.

What is a Perkins?   Working for tips is a bit of rush.. it can get addicting.  a bit like the lottery.   Really though it does help motivate for good service...When i was in college i worked for  aresto that shared tips..put the manager put us in teams so our team mates really  pushed the table staff to score big tips.    ONce  my party I was waiting on... said here is 10 bucks just for you.. pls dont share in the tip pool... and here is 5 bucks for the tip pool.... I was such a good kid and inspired by the team approach ...that i put all my tip in for the tip pool....  kinda wondered why i did that later.. lol 

1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

I thought they have to pay a minimum tax based on being tipped at 10%.

I don't think that applies to mcdo, etc... was what I was implying.

-Let's see, a guy takes a date to Outback Steakhouse. Spends $100 so $20 tip for the hour they are there. Waitress has 4 tables, so $80 an hour.

Yes, I hear ya, what about the hours the restaurant is not busy you ask?

Why am I responsible for paying a waitress when she is not 'working for me'? 

OK smartass, you ask me, what do YOU do?

Why thanks for asking. I call my order in and pick it up to go, $0 tip. Promoted themselves right out of a penny from me, good job.

-and for the 'Tipping in other countries doesn't hurt' crowd. I see an interesting fact you can use to prove that. Real estate in the Philippines is just what it should be. $240,000 - $320,000 per acre (p3,000-p4,000 per square meter) is perfectly reasonable for locals making $60(p3,000)/week ($3,000/year). The same as a $30,000/year Georgia boy paying $15,000 for an acre to put his doublewide on.

Oh wait, maybe there is no F'n way locals could have possibly bid prices up that high. Hmmmm, using the same math land here should be $1,500/acre (p18.50 per square meter). 

So if locals couldn't bid up land 20,000% yes twenty THOUSAND percent higher than it should be based on their income, who could have done it???????????????????

3 people like this

Some people are miserable and bitter so they reflect it by having strong feelings about tipping. Others make valid points about negatively changing the culture. I tip conservatively (P20-100 +_). Others that don't tip, good for them. Different styles. No problemo!

2 people like this

Good service from me gets a good tip.  I go to a restaurant because I want to be treated well when I eat.  My Dr Pepper better never empty and I better never ask for condiments.  15-25% not out of the question as it is my norm.   I just figure it would be added into the price of a meal if they paid wait staff.  But then my service would reflect poor treatment.  Failure to tip in the USA when going to a sit down restaurant is an inexcusable no no.  The norm has wandered up over the years it is now 15% versus 10%.  I am not going to allow my experince be ruined by trying to sneak out with a less than appropiate tip for their service.  Yet many will and it is wrong because the wait staff have been on this system for years.  Your protest will change nothing.  

3 people like this

On 4/19/2017 at 0:41 AM, Salty Dog said:

It's a Catch-22 though. In the USA we know that the servers are making less than half of minimum wage. If we don't tip them, they are getting screwed. Not their employer, who as you stated should be paying them a living wage.

In a fast food restaurant where they don't provide table service. The employees aren't getting rich, but they are at least getting the minimum wage or higher.

It's my understanding that servers are paid a percentage of minimum wage with tips expected to make up the difference. If there aren't sufficient tips to do that then the employer must make up the difference. Never does a server make less than minimum wage. I believe this started so that at least SOME of the tips were reported. For those saying resto owners should pay a decent wage I say servers should get a better job if they want more $. They work no harder and their job is no more technical than many jobs that pay minimum wage. imo their idea that they deserve 10-20% of my bill to bring the food to my table is BS .. this rant applies to the US, not the PI

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, ex231 said:

...If there aren't sufficient tips to do that then the employer must make up the difference...

Not true...

1 person likes this