Salty Dog

Why Tipping Should Be Banned

208 posts in this topic

1 person likes this

In most cultures, nobody tips.

~ AH in Video

A lot of other countries screw you in a different way. I lived in Germany for about 5 years, and it wasn't uncommon for restaurants to nail you with a mandatory service charge, typically 15%.

I'd rather pay a voluntary tip in the amount I choose, rather than pay a mandatory service charge.

Hopefully the whiney POS in the video will get a life one of these days.

My two cents, I'm not going to debate it. Anybody who thinks I'm wrong - Congratulations! Like me, you have an opinion.

4 people like this

Tipping is just an excuse for the boss to pay less and a way to cheat the taxman.

Nobody tips in McDonalds, why should you tip anywhere else.

6 people like this

4 minutes ago, thebob said:

Tipping is just an excuse for the boss to pay less and a way to cheat the taxman.

Nobody tips in McDonalds, why should you tip anywhere else.

Nobody tips at McD; because they don't have waiters/waitresses (in America, anyway). If wait staff got a decent wage, or if a service charge was added in the bill, then I agree... don't tip the wait staff.

1 person likes this

We shouldn't tip bell hops or maid service either. Prohibition caused that also.... maybe(?).

1 person likes this

I tip service people when they deliver proper service.  I realize this is a judgemenf on my part, but I'm not troubled to make that choice.  If there is a service charge added, such as in restaurants or nicer hotels, then I often don't bother to tip unless there is some extra effort made.  In a hotel I will often leave cash in the room for the maid service.

ive travelled enough to realize some cultures and countries have different rules and expectations. Only in Korea have I had tips refused.

5 people like this

Never add a tip to your credit card bill in Asia ...   Staff will never see a penny or centavo of it.

5 people like this

Nobody tips at McD; because they don't have waiters/waitresses (in America, anyway). If wait staff got a decent wage, or if a service charge was added in the bill, then I agree... don't tip the wait staff.

Actually McDonald's (around here at least) now provides some table service. After you place your order, you seat yourself and they deliver your meal to your table. If you want a refill of coffee or soda, they will get that for you as well.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I totally agree that tipping should be optional..a perk, a bonus, a nice gratuity,  NOT what the service personnel depend on for their wages.   Its outta hand.    Do you tip the flight attendants..NO  cause we know the airline pays them a fair salary...  Should be that way in restaurants too.    I always tip something here in PI restos..because i know their minimum pay is peanuts..   I tip them more if they provide good and pleasant service. I tip the gas station attendant if they do special work..chekc oil, add air.. etc..    I tip hotel staff if tghe are helpful...and i tip store folks if they carry junk to my car...  The tipping culture in the US is outta hand..  now you lo9ok cheap if you tip lss than 20%  yhikes

3 people like this

16 hours ago, samatm said:

Do you tip the flight attendants..NO  cause we know the airline pays them a fair salary.

Maybe we should tip...15 year senior flight attendants can earn from $40 K on up...the rest $10K - $40 K

www.quora.com/how -much-do-flight-attendants-make 

1 person likes this