Kabisay-an gid

Filipino Wesley So Wins 2017 U.S. Chess Championship

2 posts in this topic

ST. LOUIS – Wesley So added the coveted title of U.S. chess champion to his growing list of international super-tournament victories, winning a two-game, tiebreaking playoff in heart-stopping fashion Monday.

By winning the national championship, the 23-year-old grandmaster from Minnetonka continued to build the case that he has the best chance of any of his rivals of dethroning the world champion....So’s rapid rise has been spectacular. He came to the U.S. from the Philippines on a college chess scholarship in 2012 when he was ranked No. 99 in the world. A little more than two years later he broke into the world top 10, earning invitations to elite tournaments. At first he struggled against the world’s best players. At the 2015 Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis, he finished dead last in a 10-player field.

But So honed his game and gained confidence. Since last July, he has dominated elite international competitions. He is now the No. 2-ranked player in the world, behind only the world champion. At the U.S. Championship he extended his unbeaten streak to 67 games, one of the longest such runs in history.

Entire Article: http://www.startribune.com/minnetonka-grandmaster-is-new-u-s-chess-champion/419081784/

the shark players on 2nd floor SM City are playing to 2100-2200 I think... and favour blitz... I have yet to barely lay a hand on them, and work hardest at keeping costs down and the understanding that I'm not playing them for money... ar at least not more than p50 ... there are a few scattered chess clubs in the city, and girls I know who went to more formal catholic schools  are sometimes trained and excel in chess... not sure there is a natural aptitude for filipinos in chess, but I think when one has a lot of extra time on their hands... this works on their behalf.