Mikala

Uber Overcharging

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, samatm said:

As far as I know  Nor Uber or GRAB in CEBU allow you to choose larger cars yet.

There are no choices in Cebu for Uber Black (or Uber Helicopter) yet... It sure would be helpful to be able to get a larger vehicle when headed to the airport or back home with larger packages.

Edited by Mikala
2 people like this

So this morning the Uber estimate is back down to 62p. The wife is happy again as she said the last taxi she took was utterly filthy! :D

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Mikala said:

The wife is happy again as she said the last taxi she took was utterly filthy! :D

My last time in town it seemed like more and more taxis smelled like someone took a dump inside the car that morning and didn't bother to clean it. 

2 people like this

On 4/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, Monsoon said:

My last time in town it seemed like more and more taxis smelled like someone took a dump inside the car that morning and didn't bother to clean it. 

Can confirm, since last year.

Uber has the same quality problem now but they still smell good.

I think the upfront price is new? no such thing 3 months ago. It's more expensive..

Update: Uber price has been up to 93p lately, so the wife has been taking jeepneys/multicabs.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mikala said:

Update: Uber price has been up to 93p lately, so the wife has been taking jeepneys/multicabs.

Speaking of Manila, but I'd gladly pay extra pesos for Uber so I don't have to listen to "meter plus 100" "heavy traffic sir, 50p extra", "sir it's Christmas" (in Oct), and then they can't find my destination anyway. I despise Manila cabs.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, ex231 said:

Speaking of Manila, but I'd gladly pay extra pesos for Uber so I don't have to listen to "meter plus 100" "heavy traffic sir, 50p extra", "sir it's Christmas" (in Oct), and then they can't find my destination anyway. I despise Manila cabs.

We went from Makati to Ocean Park last time we were in Manila, it took 45 minutes with traffic and the fee was  366.35 peso in a Uber Black. Nice clean and new SUV, leather seats, entertainment system in the back, good aircon and the driver spoke good English. That beats a dirty hot Manila Taxi any day and no hassles about "extra" money at the end. 

CaptureB.PNG.7a822326ebd32262c2d17ef0a8111a8b.PNG

6 people like this

That is awesome

well we used them now cause we have to walk a long distance to found a taxi so now we order the UBER 12 minutes later in the front of the door very nice car very polite never encounter a problem yet  very very happy

1 person likes this

OK, as of yet no options other than UberX (no car choices . . . . YET)

Also when booking the trip, it tells you if their is a multiplier (surge pricing) based on supply & demand. We used one 5pm Friday from outside Ayala to Liloan. GrabTaxi & GrabCar not available & Uber was p512 with surge pricing. Typical taxi with no traffic is about p250. With traffic trip was expected to take over an hour ............ it was and rate never changed. Was worth every peso to sit in aircon comfort.

https://www.uber.com/info/how-surge-works/

How surge pricing works

Learn how surge pricing helps quickly connect each person who needs a ride with a driver to help them get to their destinations.

What is surge pricing?

Here's how it works:

Demand for rides increases - There are times when so many people are requesting rides that there aren’t enough cars on the road to help take them all. Bad weather, rush hour, and special events, for instance, may cause unusually large numbers of people to want to ride Uber all at the same time.

Prices go up - In these cases of very high demand, we choose to start raising prices little by little to encourage more partners to get on the road so there are enough drivers available to respond to the requests. This system is called surge pricing, and it lets us continue to be a reliable choice.

Riders wait or pay more - Whenever we raise rates due to surge pricing, we let riders know in the app. Some riders will choose to wait a few minutes to see if the rates go back down to normal. As more riders start waiting to request, the number of available drivers on the road increases until it once again closely matches the number of trip requests. At that point, we’re able to lower rates back to normal.

How are surge prices calculated?

When prices are surging, you’ll see a multiplier to the standard rates. For example, you might see surge at 1.8x or 2.5x. This is how much your base fare will be multiplied by, so a fare that is usually $10 would be $18 when it’s at 1.8x Surge. Uber’s fee percentage does not change during surge pricing.

Because we update the rates based on the demand in real-time, surge can change quickly. Surge pricing is also specific to different areas in a city, so some neighborhoods may have surge pricing at the same time as other neighborhoods have none at all.

Of course, it’s always a good idea to head to areas that you know will be busy, since you can increase your chances of getting higher fares during surge pricing and can reduce your downtime between trips. Keep in mind that it is not good practice to cancel on riders to try to get higher fares. Ultimately, surge pricing helps make sure people can count on Uber for a reliable ride.

How to identify surge in the app

When demand increases in a specific area, that neighborhood will change color. You can zoom into colored areas of your app's city map to see current surge pricing.

•YELLOW = increased demand

•ORANGE = heavily increased demand

•RED = Demand has reached a level that has triggered surge to take effect

3 people like this