Mikala

Uber Overcharging

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This past week, I've noticed that Uber costs have gone up for the wife's frequent trips for yoga. Taking a taxi along the route costs 61p most of the time, although the taxi is usually filthy. Uber back on March 16th for the same trip was 70p, which I consider 'close enough'. Now the Uber cost is up to 81p for the trip. This is causing the wife to switch back to taxis and might even switch me back to taxis.

Anyone else notice this?

Note: the trip is very short at the same time of day and there's really only 1 route to the yoga studio. There was no notification of a surge pricing.

Note 2: the Uber price is the upfront price that Uber quotes me prior to agreeing to the trip.

Edited by Mikala
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they know what they're competing with and figure they're worth it.  From the accolades members have bestowed on PI Uber vs taxis I'm surprised they don't charge more?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While waiting for a taxi out front of our building, I had an Uber driver stop me and ask where we were going, I told him and he asked how much I would be willing to pay, I told him what the taxi cost and he said okay, when we got there I gave him extra for the comfort of riding in a new nice cool and nice smelling car, so possibly they are negotiable, just a thought. 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the title of the thread is misleading . To me overcharging means charging more than you are allowed. From the OP it seems that Uber is not overcharging, they  have simply raised their prices- which of course you can accept or not .   

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikala said:

This past week, I've noticed that Uber costs have gone up for the wife's frequent trips for yoga. Taking a taxi along the route costs 61p most of the time, although the taxi is usually filthy. Uber back on March 16th for the same trip was 70p, which I consider 'close enough'. Now the Uber cost is up to 81p for the trip. This is causing the wife to switch back to taxis and might even switch me back to taxis.

 

You can't take it with you Michael! :wink:

Not sure what Uber is like in Cebu, I haven't bothered using it there. But I have nothing bad to say about it in the NCR area. I get a new SUV to pick me up and take me to where I want to go without any hassle. 200ish PHP to the airport in comfort and relative luxury - priceless. 

The only occasional gripe is there are some drivers who are relatively inexperienced and don't know where they are going and rely on the unreliable Waze app to direct their route. Maybe, 1 in 10. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikala said:

Note 2: the Uber price is the upfront price that Uber quotes me prior to agreeing to the trip.

Are you saying they give you a flat rate quote with each trip, instead of the usual time / distance? I've not seen that before. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a yoga class, right?  Exercise?  Tell her to jog for a warm-up there and a stretch back.  I kind of laugh when I see bicycles strapped to the back of a vehicle though.  Just sayin'...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: Uber, can you get a receipt?  Are the allowed to pick up at NAIA?

50 minutes ago, Lee said:

While waiting for a taxi out front of our building, I had an Uber driver stop me and ask where we were going, I told him and he asked how much I would be willing to pay, I told him what the taxi cost and he said okay, when we got there I gave him extra for the comfort of riding in a new nice cool and nice smelling car, so possibly they are negotiable, just a thought. 

Perhaps he gave you the taxi price because:

A. He was going that was going that way anyway and might as well get a few pesos.

B. It was "off the books" so Uber didn't get its due?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SkyMan said:

RE: Uber, can you get a receipt?  Are the allowed to pick up at NAIA?

Perhaps he gave you the taxi price because:

A. He was going that was going that way anyway and might as well get a few pesos.

B. It was "off the books" so Uber didn't get its due?

I suspect all of the above but it could have been my good looks lol 

It could have also been that he knows Americans usually tip :wink: 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always use Uber when staying in Manila 

7 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

But I have nothing bad to say about it in the NCR area. I get a new SUV to pick me up and take me to where I want to go without any hassle. 200ish PHP to the airport in comfort and relative luxury - priceless. 

 

Me too. We visit my wife's family in Manila First before heading to Leyte and we use Uber most of the time. The app is loaded on both our phones and pay using the credit card on file. Feel safer when my wife is out and about in a Uber Black than a city taxi any day. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Donation Goals

    Modifications, Applications, & Plugins

    Purchase and renewal costs for themes and various features added to the forums.

    $30 USD added to cover PayPal fees.



    $231.01 of $280.00 goal reached.
    Donate Now
    Yearly Hosting Fees

    Yearly web hosting fees, $75 USD / month.

    $30 USD added to cover fees.



    $439.72 of $930.00 goal reached.
    Donate Now
    Software Licensing Renewal Fees

    This goal is 100% funded. Please choose one of the others to support.

    $50 USD every six months for software licensing.

    $15 USD added to cover PayPal fees.



    $115.08 of $115.00 goal reached.
    Donate Now
  • Donation Stats

    • Total Donations
      $785.81
    • Total Fees
      $29.19
    • Total Goals
      $1,325.00
    • Still Needed
      $539.19

    • $785.81 of $1,325.00 goal reached.
  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert