• Elite Member
  • 290 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 51 topics
  • Local time: 10:58 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

sorry im so ignorant , well i found out the aunt doesnt have a landline phone... of course not. I have to have a landline phone to work the magic jack as I understand it.. Im also going to get a linksys adapter. They live in punta princessa, i just hope they can get the net there.. I dont have enough money to get an apt. This is about the most messed up thing I have ever tried to do, but Im out of work and it would take 6 months to get on my feet to go again. so im just going.. geez..

#2 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 4,783 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • Local time: 09:58 AM
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

sorry im so ignorant , well i found out the aunt doesnt have a landline phone... of course not. I have to have a landline phone to work the magic jack as I understand it.. Im also going to get a linksys adapter. They live in punta princessa, i just hope they can get the net there.. I dont have enough money to get an apt. This is about the most messed up thing I have ever tried to do, but Im out of work and it would take 6 months to get on my feet to go again. so im just going.. geez..

You do not need a land line phone as in having service. You just need a regular every day telephone to plug into the device. No active phone line. By Linksys adapter are you talking a bout a VoIP adaptor. It won't do you any good if you don't already have service with a provider like Vonage or Packet 8. Mate, you have to get your ducks in a row, the tail is wagging the dog. :huh:

Globe, PLDT and Smartbro should be available in that area.

Edited by Bob Ward, 05 March 2009 - 09:54 AM.

#3 seattle2cebu

seattle2cebu

doing okay

• Elite Member
  • 290 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 51 topics

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

ok thanks.... maybe I should buy 2 magic jacks....

by linksys adapter I mean I went to this link http://www.irisdatavoip.com/

and they emailed me and said this

Hi David,A Linksys ATA (2102) is just fine. You can use any off-the-shelf modular phone with it.Then, if you get the regular VoIP Plus service ($19.99 monthly), we can assign you a U.S. number of your choice and have the equipment in Cebu for you within the next week from our office in Manila... or we can priority mail it to Seattle from our Vancouver, Washington office.If you have a question and would like to call me direct, you can at 1-360-200-4644.

Ya i leave monday.... crap things got a little haywire when i lost my job here..

You do not need a land line phone as in having service. You just need a regular every day telephone to plug into the device. No active phone line. By Linksys adapter are you talking a bout a VoIP adaptor. It won't do you any good if you don't already have service with a provider like Vonage or Packet 8. Mate, you have to get your ducks in a row, the tail is wagging the dog. :huh:

Globe, PLDT and Smartbro should be available in that area.

#4 seattle2cebu

seattle2cebu

doing okay

• Elite Member
  • 290 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 51 topics

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

I went out and got two magic jacks today... I got an email from a guy with a company in manila that says
they can ship me a linksys adapter to cebu and the service is 20.00 usd a month.. So if the magic jacks
dont work, I will get that deal I guess. I havent decided whether to get the linksys here or not. maybe better
to just get the one they send.

Ive got to haul my bed and sofa out to the dumpster and do laundry and pack... Im also in college online
in the middle of it...

#5 Wonderer

Wonderer
  • 96 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 07:58 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:34 AM

I got a Magic Jack last week. My wife's sister who resides in Japan uses Skype and she has called a few times and the connection was good. I tried calling my Mom twice in California (I live in Colorado) and I could hear her but she couldnt hear me. I have made local calls to the magic jack with my cell phone and the reception was not that good. My wife is traveling to Iloilo at the end of the month. I plan on sending her with the Magic Jack to see how it works for her family to call us in the US. Will post the results here. Have you considered getting hired by a US call center and then operating from the Philippines. I dont know if that is permissable but if you could earn US wages and reside in Cebu you would have the best of both worlds. A company that is advertising for home-based call center reps where I live has 2 offices in Cebu and one in Portland, Oregon. The website is www.convergys.com. The website mentions pay at around $9US an hour. I have no experience with this company but thought I would mention as a possible avenue for you. Good luck.

#6 seattle2cebu

seattle2cebu

doing okay

• Elite Member
  • 290 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 51 topics

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

thanks i have that website, but I hadnt looked into it a lot.. What I had seen a lot of was us companies doing home based customer service in the us only... so getting one to let me do it there is the trick i guess. It would be nice
for sure... I will be okay with anything just to hang on till i can figure it out..

I didnt prepare for this, my fault. I was just going to visit my girlfriend, and we started talking a lot on the phone
and I guess we both want me to go there. When I got fired from my job, it seems easier to go. It would be smart
to wait a year and work and save and all that ... but oh well..

I could always come back here later and go back again. Im just really against bringing her here, and I dont
care that much about the usa really. So however it works out... the goal is to be there.

I got a Magic Jack last week. My wife's sister who resides in Japan uses Skype and she has called a few times and the connection was good. I tried calling my Mom twice in California (I live in Colorado) and I could hear her but she couldnt hear me. I have made local calls to the magic jack with my cell phone and the reception was not that good. My wife is traveling to Iloilo at the end of the month. I plan on sending her with the Magic Jack to see how it works for her family to call us in the US. Will post the results here. Have you considered getting hired by a US call center and then operating from the Philippines. I dont know if that is permissable but if you could earn US wages and reside in Cebu you would have the best of both worlds. A company that is advertising for home-based call center reps where I live has 2 offices in Cebu and one in Portland, Oregon. The website is www.convergys.com. The website mentions pay at around $9US an hour. I have no experience with this company but thought I would mention as a possible avenue for you. Good luck.

#7 tom_shor

tom_shor

Unreconstructed Smart Arse

• Elite Member
  • 6,163 posts
  • 743 thanks
  • 45 topics
  • Local time: 06:58 PM
  • My Blood Type:O+
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

I bought a magic jack. I set it up and tried it here and it seemed to work ok. It is still enroute so I don't know yet how it will work from there. I'll post it as soon as I find out. heck even if it just works half the time it's only $20 a year.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea