agent17

Condo/home security

75 posts in this topic

There's also the advantage of security.  I've read more breakins happening in homes than condos.  Mid-range condos usually have decent security.  They have guards posted at every entrance.  They have security cameras.  Some even have need key cards.

Some condos do have lax security.  If that happens in yours, go straight to the admin and file a complaint.  Bring up the topic to your next home association meeting.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, agent17 said:

There's also the advantage of security.  I've read more breakins happening in homes than condos.  Mid-range condos usually have decent security.  They have guards posted at every entrance.  They have security cameras.  Some even have need key cards. Some condos do have lax security.  If that happens in yours, go straight to the admin and file a complaint.  Bring up the topic to your next home association meeting.

Houses are a snap to break into. A fence, even with barb wire or concertina, won't keep out determined criminals in the Phils. It's not uncommon for the criminal(s) to just cut the wire/concertina and steal it too. Lots of ways into a house, usually 2 or even 3 doors, and numerous windows. Bars on windows are useless in many cases, the criminals frequently have the tools and savvy to just remove them and enter the house.

Whereas my condo (not yet complete) on one of the upper floors of a high-rise tower has only one entrance - the front door. No back door, no side door, nobody is coming in one of the windows unless they're Spiderman :) and can crawl up the side of high-rise buildings - so nothing to worry about there. I'll be having a solid steel security door installed, which will be extremely difficult to breach.

Fire safety is also good - smoke alarms in all units and hallways, fire hose and fire extinguishers on every floor, 3 emergency stairwell exits, and of course the personal fire extinguisher in my unit that all condo owners are required by law to have.

3 people like this

knock on wood but my house has never been breached and I am the only person on the block ... hummm plus side is house is 35,000 sq and condo considerably more nothing is bullet proof...

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, smokey said:

knock on wood but my house has never been breached and I am the only person on the block ... hummm plus side is house is 35,000 sq and condo considerably more nothing is bullet proof...

Same here, but we live on a corner lot just adjacent to our guardhouse just a stone throw away. 

We also have wrought iron grills on all of our windows and entry doors. We can go on long vacations without any worries.

39.JPG

2 people like this

56 minutes ago, NOSOCALPINOY said:

Same here, but we live on a corner lot just adjacent to our guardhouse just a stone throw away. 

We also have wrought iron grills on all of our windows and entry doors. We can go on long vacations without any worries.

A lot of break-ins happen through the roof.  They make a hole to your roof, drop off a kid inside to open the door for the rest of them to get in.  Your house looks nicely secured though.  If your roof have GI sheet, it's easy.

Persistence and time, that's all it takes.  If they know you won't be back for a while, they will find a way to break in.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, agent17 said:

A lot of break-ins happen through the roof.  They make a hole to your roof, drop off a kid inside to open the door for the rest of them to get in.  Your house looks nicely secured though.  If your roof have GI sheet, it's easy.

Persistence and time, that's all it takes.  If they know you won't be back for a while, they will find a way to break in.

CCTV provides a little bit of deterrent, I swear Filipino's seem to smell CCTV a mile away. People are always mentioning it, oh you have CCTV, yeah I don't need you to remind me.

3 people like this

I'd buy a condo in a minute if I could sell my house. That said, my next door neighboor is a Police Officer and word is out anybody caught on a roof without a valid reason would be shot off it. That whole presumption of innocence thing not a high priority here. 

We own a house but are open minded to see why each have positives and negatives. That simple. Either one has the potential to be very positive or cause agony.

How to break into a guarded condo.

1.  Sign in with guard, or drop 500 php on him.

2.  Take elevator to condo level.

3.  Jimmy lock.

4.  Load contents into moving boxes, leave.

5.  Load van in parking garage, guard may help, thank him and tip.

6. It is okay to look into CCTV cameras, smile wave...all Kano look alike.  

:pimp:

3 people like this

56 minutes ago, ugly american said:

3.  Jimmy lock.

I can only speak for our building since others might handle things differently but in our building that will not work for large items, you need permission from the administrator to move out of a condo and it must be done during certain hours, thus you could not have a truck or move boxes out, also cameras would have your pictures since they are recorded and neighbors are nosy about too much noise,so since doors are most often next to or across from each other, you would have to quietly pick locks and be very quiet once inside, then there is the neighbors coming and going at all different times, then comes the roaming guards who happen to be armed in our building, I do not know about other buildings and then there is also the plain clothes roaming guards, not really plain clothes but also not in uniform, hard to explain, then there is the staff moving around the building doing their jobs of cleaning or whatever, then there are aholes like me who would call downstairs to the guards to see what is going on.

Nothing is impossible and of course it would probably be easier for a westerner to pull off such a job but westerners are not usually the burglars in the Philippines, yet I would not put it past some westerners I see about.  

6 people like this

3 hours ago, ugly american said:

3.  Jimmy lock.

Yeah sure.  So, in this scenario you've invented, how many times have this happened?  You really think the guard would like to lose his job over P500?  You think you can jimmy lock while the neighbors watch?  You think all the guards and janitors will allow a stranger they've never seen before to drag out stuff like a big screen TV into a van without being asked?  You think your van would even be allowed inside the parking area?  It's easier to rob a house than a condo.  In our condo, the maid can't even bring any guests.  The maid had to register for an ID and they have to wear it all the time.

3 people like this