SkyMan

Started work on the East Wall

20 posts in this topic

It's been slow going because I had a couple small projects mingled in early on but now 2 of those (repair/repaint the rusting areas of the house and garage roofs and build some heavy stock racks in the garage) are done and downsizing the pump house only has some finishing to do.  I only have 2 workers besides myself (Eme, my full time caretaker, and his son Jeepy paid on a daily wage)  A good part of the reason for the roof and pump house work was because it needed to get done and off my mind but also because to give me time to get some mods done to the old forms and build some new ones.  On the west wall we did hollow block up 7 feet so I made steel forms 3 meters tall (made from 6 inch steel C-purlins so just cut in half and tack weld side to side for a 12 inch "plank") which worked well.  The east wall will be as high as 17 feet at points and backfilled so the columns need to be buttressed and rather than hollow block we'll just pour the walls.  That means the columns are built first, opposite of the hollow block.  That also means 4 forms are needed for each column rather than just 2 and then there's the extra forming for the buttress.  Nothing like keeping it simple.

So here's some pics:

SAM_3500_zps77m0jgvw.jpg

This is a pan shot of the east.  The before picture.  Actually it's to the north/east/south from my front porch.  You can see the bamboo posts in the middle.  The east wall will go from where you see the trees on the left to the A frame on the right.  The A frame is the braces on the first column.  That column is the corner of my lot.  

SAM_3494_zpsw0ebxm4h.jpg

It's a corner column so no buttress required.  This column needed to be taller than the forms so after the bottom was done we loosened the forms and jacked it to full height, tightened the forms and finished the top.

SAM_3495_zpscrebp6ql.jpg

The jacking worked ok and the bracing poles just pulled in as the forms went up.  But this proved a little difficult on the buttressed columns so we probably won't use it again.

SAM_3497_zps5tjyroqe.jpg

Forms jacked above the footer.

9a6268dd-38ed-426a-b167-e4f935156f25_zps

Next up was the north end attaching to my neighbor's wall.  Stretching a piece of tie wire between the tops of these 2 corner (end) columns gave us an exact line between the 2 corners of the lot.  Unfortunately that is not the property line as there is a slight bend in the property line about in the middle.  The marker for the bend always appeared to be in line with the 2 corners but should have been about 3 feet inside.  With the wire in place I used a plum bob down at that location and determined the marker was off a couple feet.  So the third column built was at the point that marker should have been.

More pics to add later...  

8 people like this

Geez...

It took us 40 years to get the wall in Berlin torn down, and here you are building another one...  :cool:

Seriously, it looks good TJ.

2 people like this

Make your neighbor pay for that wall!

5 people like this

3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

This column needed to be taller than the forms so after the bottom was done we loosened the forms and jacked it to full height, tightened the forms and finished the top.

I think this wall would make even President Trump proud !!  

4 people like this

SAM_3508.JPG.8fd030135748b31a3fcdf69be643fda1.JPG

This is the third column, the one at the bend in the property line and the first with a buttress.

SAM_3505.JPG.f4f35e367cb9af4887075c92219e6958.JPGSAM_3506.JPG.3eebde1908a76ea480cb4d5ce9e09f54.JPG

Can't fit the whole east wall in one shot from  in  front of the house.  

SAM_3507.JPG.13cab01f8bd0c787f6e68c0824e040cf.JPG

SAM_3530.JPG.3b2f0e48390150467164c6ede056f845.JPG

Using the sea as a water level to set the column height.  I also came up with the idea of making an angle bar brace between the top of a finished column and it screws into the form of the next column so the 2 columns are parallel and wall forms will fit right.

SAM_3504.JPG.b592500de9dccde0186be20c0c6c97c6.JPG\

A shot of the west wall we did last year.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Looking at this wall I can only assume that you are expecting an invasion by the Mongol hordes !! 

Edited by Davaoeno
1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Looking at this wall I can only assume that you are expecting an invasion by the Mongol hordes !! 

So you're a denier then?

4 people like this

7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

So you're a denier then?

Who were the Mongols?

The Mongols were a nomadic tribe to the north of China. They shared the mountainous areas between China and Siberia with many other such tribes, many of them Turkic. When Ghengis Khan united them as a powerful nation with a mighty army of mounted archers they were irresistible for all but mighty walled cities.  

[ I see Skyman knows his history and wont make the same mistake as others before him ! ]

Genghis Khan was a conqueror by force. The wars led in his name killed some 40 million people (about 10% of the world's population at the time)!

2 people like this

22 hours ago, agent17 said:

Make your neighbor pay for that wall!

I tried.  Too big a company to notice my puny request.  They will be filling in the area with subdivisions so I don't want to see it.

16 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

[ I see Skyman knows his history and wont make the same mistake as others before him ! ]

I've already designed the tar boiling cauldrons for the top. The slight concave bend of the wall allows arrow crossfire against the hoards.  They won't stand a chance.

4 people like this

So Shaquille was right, the earth is flat!  Otherwise the wall would be curved at the top. 

4 people like this