Jawny

Speakers for television

40 posts in this topic

I dont need many HDMI IN - as most things here use the usual chinch connectors.
My actual amplifier has 3 chinch inputs - thats enough luckily - plus 2+2 speaker out

Posted (edited)

On April 3, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Jawny said:

The connection to the tv was as described.  Not an issue.

However, the sound from the tv is just as bad when passed through the sound bar.  I connect to the tv as an auxiliary device.  

It might be a garbage in/ garbage out problem. If your TV has crappy sound then amplifying it won't help. Try turning down the TV sound a bit and turning up the sound bar volume.

Edited by thebob

I connect the TV via headphone out jack to an amplifier. So with an amplifier you can build your sound system. I have good speakers attached to the amplifier and any other sound source (MP3, CD etc. but nowadays mostly MP3). So the TV is just another source (of course you have to make sure the amplifier has enough In-Lines). This gives me great sound. Downloaded movies are played via USB. I had a look at the sound bars, but I most say amplifier with good speakers beats them all and you have options. When attached to the headphone jack you can control even the volume with your normal TV remote - no need for the amplifier volume. Nowadays you can buy great amplifiers which supports and have integrated support for all sorts of phone and MP3 - so when you want music just attach your phone to the amplifier (mostly supports bluetooth as well)

1 person likes this

OP, you may already know this, but the dialogue is sent thru the center speaker when available such as HD Sound and most legit DVDs and can be accessed with a good AV Receiver. I purchased a Pioneer VSX-822-K 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver (there are much better  ones out there now as mine is 3 years old) and run everything thru it via HDMI, My Blu-ray, Gaming consoles, music, ipod, and tv and send it all to two bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker. On another topic someone had suggested a graphic equalizer to help with the dialogue, but I never went there. I rely a lot now on subtitles or CC because movie studios love to blast the soundtrack and minimize the dialogue levels so it's very difficult for me to hear especially on 2 channel audio. I do find headphones make a world of difference as well. Good luck solving your challenge.

1 person likes this

I was in Asian Home appliance store yesterday in Ayala and they had a soundbar that plugs into the audio jack for under p5,000, so ask to check the cable when buying one, thus making it easy to have more sound.

4 minutes ago, nothingbutquestions said:

OP, you may already know this, but the dialogue is sent thru the center speaker when available such as HD Sound and most legit DVDs and can be accessed with a good AV Receiver. I purchased a Pioneer VSX-822-K 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver (there are much better  ones out there now as mine is 3 years old) and run everything thru it via HDMI, My Blu-ray, Gaming consoles, music, ipod, and tv and send it all to two bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker. On another topic someone had suggested a graphic equalizer to help with the dialogue, but I never went there. I rely a lot now on subtitles or CC because movie studios love to blast the soundtrack and minimize the dialogue levels so it's very difficult for me to hear especially on 2 channel audio. I do find headphones make a world of difference as well. Good luck solving your challenge.

I'm likely to search for an amplifier.  The sound bar is not adequate.  I didn't want to have to go to a way of "engineering" the sound system.  Plug and play is the way I like to go when possible.  The trouble has been the extremes in product knowledge.  If I go to a store which specializes in high quality sound, they would correctly assume I'm willing to pay for the better system.  So, they show me great systems, but cost more than the television.  If I then go to the shops that sell everything electronic, they often only know what's written on the packaging, and sometimes not even that.  As well, they assume customers want karaoke features, so that is what they typically have for sale.  Thanks for the suggestions.

4 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I'm likely to search for an amplifier.  The sound bar is not adequate.  I didn't want to have to go to a way of "engineering" the sound system.  Plug and play is the way I like to go when possible.

Try listening through headphones. If that doesn't sound right then it never will. If it is OK then a cheap 2.1 set like this Crown one should do the trick.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/crown-hm-2034-21-speaker-system-9102875.html?ff=1

crown-hm-2034-2-1-speaker-system-7214-57

When watching tv in  bed and my wife is asleep, I just put on my rechargeable wireless headphones I bought at CRD King for around P500 hooked up to my 32" LED TV.

Downstairs my 55" LED TV is hooked to my stereo component system with 6 speakers.

1 hour ago, NOSOCALPINOY said:

When watching tv in  bed and my wife is asleep, I just put on my rechargeable wireless headphones I bought at CRD King for around P500 hooked up to my 32" LED TV.

Downstairs my 55" LED TV is hooked to my stereo component system with 6 speakers.

Not really sure if the size and type of the tv nor its location will make a difference.  Good to know, though.

I bought a ZVOX in via a small (one way) suitcase 2 years ago, model SOUNDBASE.450, its a biggish box that the TV sits on, new models are bars but i do like the box, it has 6 speakers including a Subwoofer all built in to the one unit, super neat and tidy, has like 5 different inputs, great unit with big solid sound.

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/divinity-cart/item/4004501/zvox-audio-soundbase.450/1.html

1 person likes this