Norman

Social Security question how to apply for it in Cebu

8 posts in this topic

I meet a American the other day who has been here just a short time and is planing on staying here in the town of Catmonda-an in the North .  He turned 62 this  Jan and has finally decided he wants to get his SS . Where in Cebu can he apply or does he have to go to the Embassy in Manila . I will have him join this form when he gets his internet going but if any one can help i will pass the info on to him     Thanks 

36 minutes ago, Norman said:

I meet a American the other day who has been here just a short time and is planing on staying here in the town of Catmonda-an in the North .  He turned 62 this  Jan and has finally decided he wants to get his SS . Where in Cebu can he apply or does he have to go to the Embassy in Manila . I will have him join this form when he gets his internet going but if any one can help i will pass the info on to him     Thanks 

There would actually be several ways, but just vague info won't get answer.

PM Tonny(Jimmy)and he can help you.

54 minutes ago, Norman said:

Go to:

Manila US Embassy anytime.

US Consular Agency, when they have an Outreach scheduled.

Try these information  for now ,when you call or email  ask them when the next out reach is set for Cebu . One you get the paper work and he is on line he can text me also  or call me will send you that information ,thru PM ok ,Good Luck,

Contact Information:
Phone: (632) 301-2000 ext. 9
Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714
E-Mail: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov

2 people like this

The SSA has a website which includes a forum(s). These are grouped into topics, so you can choose which interests you.  What is amazing is the forum admin will actually answer queries posted in the forum.  Of course, many queries result in "call your nearest SSA office". However, they do answer detailed queries such as entitlements for dependents, taxation etc.  

I currently live in Vancouver, WA. Will move to Cebu in October.

I will turn 62 in August. You can apply 3 months before your birth month. You will start receiving money the following month.

You can fill out the form on-line at www.socialsecurity.gov/applyforbenefits

As long as you have it going to a US bank it's very simple. If you deposit in US, then move some to the PI each month it will never be questioned. Be aware that if your PI bank account is in your name you will need to say so on your tax return. 

18 minutes ago, Ralph R said:

Be aware that if your PI bank account is in your name you will need to say so on your tax return. 

FATCA and your reporting a Philippine bank account on your taxes only kicks in if you make a deposit to your PI account of $10,000 or more or if your account ever totals over $10,000 US.

If your account, or any you had control over, had 10,000, must be reported that year, but next year, if not 10,000 in there, no longer required. And it is ALL accounts you are involved with here totaled.

You can do the SSA online, but your bank must have a US counterpart. Metrobank is one such bank. China bank is not, it uses Citibank as its entry point, so a 5 day delay when I used them.