wondersailor

By container or balikbayan boxes ?

13 posts in this topic

Am moving from southeast US to outside Davao in one year and wondering whether to sell household items (pennies on dollar) and ship by balikbayan or to go by container.What would you do if you had to do over? What hassels vs costs involved ? 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, wondersailor said:

Am moving from southeast US to outside Davao in one year and wondering whether to sell household items (pennies on dollar) and ship by balikbayan or to go by container.What would you do if you had to do over? What hassels vs costs involved ? 

If it will not fit in a BB box, sell it. If it requires 110 volts, sell it. If you can't sell it, give it away, not worth the hassle.

My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

7 people like this

I agree with shadow,  SELL IT.

With the money you save by not shipping it, and the little you get from disposing of excess "stuff",   you can buy here.   Besides, you will find that most of your "stuff" really won't go good here.  And the houses, apartments, condos are much smaller here than in the States. 

You also want money set aside for an exit plan.  Now you may think this is the land of milk and honey, but actually living here is a lot different than visiting.  Six months or a year change your perspective, (sometimes good,  sometimes BAD). I doubt anyone living here will deny that.  And do have a exit plan in place.

3 people like this

2 people like this

37 minutes ago, shadow said:

If it will not fit in a BB box, sell it. If it requires 110 volts, sell it. If you can't sell it, give it away, not worth the hassle.

My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

We brought a 40' container and lived to regret it. Customs in US impounded it for inspection, cost $3k. Customs in Phil did the same, P50k. Container owner would not let container leave Cebu without "refundable" deposit of cost of new container, cost 1/2 of deposit, about P100 back.

Advise you to come over with clothes on your back and a hefty amount of saved cash. 

4 people like this

I agree with most everything here.

We moved here from Florida last year. Shipped 26 BB boxes and received all with very minimal damage. I brought all my convenience cooking stuff/appliances, coffee makers, griddles, waffle irons...etc. Guess what? Even though I had purchased 4, 220-110 converters, I still needed to buy $300 worth of converters here that gave me the wattage to run this sh**!!!

Shadow nailed it. If it runs on 110, dump it and buy new here. (Lazada online is like a baby Amazon if you can't find it in the store)

Now...my wife had her collections/treasures and our clothes...worth bringing. Fishing poles, reels, monofiliment...send it. You can tape 2 BB boxes together, (securely), and have a double sized, (double priced), big box that will accommodate these. Used this scenario to ship 3 TVs that I bought on sale a Walmart. A regular converter works well for these...no need for high wattage. The TVs were so cheap it was worth it. Also bought some blue ray players.

If you have nice hand tools, bring them. Quality hand tools are hard to find. Power tools.....remember....110 volt, dump it unless you are in love with it. Send TapCons and any galvanized hardware you expect to use until your next visit to the states. Oh...and bungie cords!!! They are like gold here. 

If you like anything sugar free that will keep...send it. Filipinos don't understand why you would want sugar free. Coffee...about 20-30 lbs. depending on how much you drink!!!

If I had to do it again, I'd buy a nice charcoal grill with a firebox on the side and assemble it here. $400 here...$100 Stateside.

If you are bigger than a size 40 jacket...T shirts! I'm a 42 and XXXL barely fits me here.

Tums...large economy size...3 of those!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Dafey said:

If you like anything sugar free that will keep...send it. Filipinos don't understand why you would want sugar free.

Sugar free products can be found on Escario a block or so from our condo towards Osmena in a store called Sugar Free Haven, they also stock a lot of other hard to get items and everyday items such as apple juice, the wife and I shop there a few times each stay, nice people work there and own it.

SUGAR FREE HAVEN

72 N Escario, Cebu City, Cebu 6000

+63(32)2542290

http://www.yellow-pages.ph/business/sugar-free-haven

To add to get back on topic, we ship boxes all the time and they always get here, I prefer to ship with companies that provide tracking such as Forex or LBC. 

Edited by Lee
2 people like this

Have tried it too..... a 40' container from Europe... d o n t  do it... we brought all..a 40' is quite big... the termites here just loved our furniture...nothing expensive, but would have been use full here. Had to store it in a bodega area until house were ready.. foreign wood was just to lami for termites to leave alone.

Different tools for garden was okay...Chinese junk you get here.

Had prepared it all on pallets so just a forklift to unload it all in less than 30 min. - sorry no forklift available anywhere at that time... f***... all unload by hand..... NEVER AGAIN!

3 people like this

Yah, I know I will be sending a number of boxes and began to think of a container instead. I hauled over a bunch of cloths and footware last trip (plus sizes) as well as some hand tools. Really don't want to forget anything that I will need as I plan on making only one more exit from the US, no reason to come back. Would appreciate any more ideas on what to bring that i might need but not find there. Thanks Dafy for tip on fasteners and a grill. Thanks to all.

Not too worried about sugar free,as you could tell if you saw me:lol: