Paul

Running a generator on LPG.

16 posts in this topic

All of the whole house emergency generators in my development here in central Florida run off of natural gas. Not sure of the size, I think between 20kW - 30kW. They can run the whole house with a 150-200 amp service. My neighbor has one and it even automatically starts once a week and runs for about 10-15 minutes. Of course natural gas is piped to the houses, so it's a no brainier using it here. 

1 person likes this

Just now, Salty Dog said:

All of the whole house emergency generators in my development here in central Florida run off of natural gas. Not sure of the size, I think between 20kW - 30kW. They can run the whole house with a 150-200 amp service. My neighbor has one and it even automatically starts once a week and runs for about 10-15 minutes. Of course natural gas is piped to the houses, so it's a no brainier using it here. 

Those Generac Guardian Series generators seem to be popular in the US. They do everything automatically. 

Just curious as to how long a natural gas generator will run if there is a cataclysmic event. I would much rather go with LPG over Natural Gas, any day. 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Those Generac Guardian Series generators seem to be popular in the US. They do everything automatically. 

Just curious as to how long a natural gas generator will run if there is a cataclysmic event. I would much rather go with LPG over Natural Gas, any day. 

Generac is a great company, I used to do service training for them along with B&S and Tecumseh. Fun job. I got to drive all over Wyoming and Montana for four months each winter doing technical update seminars (keeping mechanics up to date). Years ago Generac had the distinction of being the only US generator company that manufactured their own engines. Now B&S is building generators so they no longer can say that.

2 people like this

10 hours ago, shadow said:

The tank connections are different. However, all it would take is a piece of tiger bar, and a good machinist can easily fabricate an adapter.

The valve guides in most small engines will not hold up to running on LPG. Kohler uses special valve guides due to this. Most other small engine manufacturers will void the warrantee on any unit that was converted. It would be worth while to look into this, to see what Honda has to say about running on LPG, before trying to convert one.

LPG is cleaner and more economical to run, but if it destroys your unit, not so much so. 

That is a good question, I did a brief web search and find thousands of conversion kits for sale but little actual info on the practicality of using it.

I use my little Honda for my RV so LP is impractical now. But when the RV goes I would like to convert to LP for the LP storage advantages.

As long as we are on the topic, I got what I think is a good idea from a model plane guy.  He uses Ethanol gas for running his engines, when he is done he runs the last tank of gas with non ethanol.

I am doing the same buying $$$ non ethanol for running it dry, draining the carb and then storing, seems like a good idea.

I for got to add I don't know about parts availability in your area.  The parallel kits are easy to make and way less expensive than the Honda kit. An electronics degree or back ground is not needed, I made one.

Is LP the same shit I have delivered for my stove? Is there extra danger to storing it vs gas?