Paul

Running a generator on LPG.

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, davedude said:

I can buy a kit to run my EU2000 on natural gas and a kit to connect a second EU2000 together for increased capacity. I am considering both.

Ironic that you mentioned that. I was viewing sites today, regarding LPG / Natural Gas kits. Here is one you may wish to consider if you are stateside. (I'm assuming you are, due to the specific model number you mentioned.)

https://hutchmountain.com

I am considering the same LPG kit, primarily due to LPG being much cleaner burning and longer lasting quality, over petrol. Hutch Mountain offers a "Y" adapter. Their LPG kits keep the regulator off the generators, unlike so many other kits out there. I personally like that, and the quick disconnect you mount at the top of the generator. Keeps things very simple, very clean.

I am just not 100% certain about local LPG tanks being compatible with these kits. I mean, I don't know if they have the same sized connectors and threads here, that they have on tanks / regulators in the US. Anyone know if LPG tanks are internationally compatible, regarding regulator installations?

394571711.jpg

singlepropane.png

doublepropane.png

Edited by Paul
added tags
1 person likes this

how much run time can you get from one tank?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

how much run time can you get from one tank?

I may be wrong here. But, if my calculations are close, just under 2 days (43.2 hours) on an 11 kg tank. 

This is running the generator under a 25% load. I am also using the equivalent of one tank of petrol, at 8 hours running time, by comparison.

Anyone, feel free to correct this, if I am wrong. 

Edited by Paul

We always figured 20# gas = 5 gal. fuel

Ran a large truck with 200# LP and 60 gal. gas backup.  used LP the majority of the time, and changed oil about every 6-7 months  when I would feel guilty.  Would come out of pan looking like it was new.

1 person likes this

If it is an option I vote for LP.  For the reason that LP can be stored for as long as the container it is in stays intact with no degradation, unlike gas which has a short storage life.

OK OK I know gas can be treated, so you treat it. Will it last 5 decades or more like LP will?    

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ugly american said:

We always figured 20# gas = 5 gal. fuel

We have different sized tanks here. But, you may be correct, too.

The tank connections are different. However, all it would take is a piece of tiger bar, and a good machinist can easily fabricate an adapter.

The valve guides in most small engines will not hold up to running on LPG. Kohler uses special valve guides due to this. Most other small engine manufacturers will void the warrantee on any unit that was converted. It would be worth while to look into this, to see what Honda has to say about running on LPG, before trying to convert one.

LPG is cleaner and more economical to run, but if it destroys your unit, not so much so. 

3 people like this

1 minute ago, shadow said:

all it would take is a piece of tiger bar

Uh, what?

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Uh, what?

Tiger bar is a piece of brass/bronze machine stock of various diameters, like round bar made of bronze/brass.

2 people like this

10 hours ago, ugly american said:

Ran a large truck with 200# LP and 60 gal. gas backup

My dad had a Toyota pickup in the 70s rigged up like that. Could go from Tampa to Detroit nonstop, if you didn't have to pee! First time he changed the oil,,,he poured it right back in. He had to run gasoline occaisionally as he claimed the gaskets would dry out and turn to dust if not. (never knew whether to believe that...the old man told some whoppers!)

1 person likes this