I am looking at renting a house with no back up gasoline generator and would like to know what size to buy and what models would be the best quality and most reliable?  The house I am considering is fairly small, and I am only one person, so there would not be much demand on the generator, just lights and a refrigerator.  I have not shopped for models so I thought I would ask here to see what information is available.  I am on Siquijor island, so would probably purchase one in Dumaguete.  Thanks ahead.

Edited by Paul
added tags
  • Like 1

My opine would be 1500 or so depending on the size of your refrigerator. 

Oh BTW I am a survivor of Camille and Katrina, and everything else in between if I wasn't on travel.

Edited by angbumabasa
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I am looking at renting a house with no back up gasoline generator and would like to know what size to buy and what models would be the best quality and most reliable?  The house I am considering is fairly small, and I am only one person, so there would not be much demand on the generator, just lights and a refrigerator.  I have not shopped for models so I thought I would ask here to see what information is available.  I am on Siquijor island, so would probably purchase one in Dumaguete.  Thanks ahead.

You don't need a large generator to power a few lights and a ref. One of the biggest decisions in making a gen purchase is noise. A cheap gen is going to be much more noisy, more expensive to run, and not last as long as a Honda.  There is also the gas/diesel issue. For longer usage a diesel is going to be much cheaper to run. A quality diesel is also more expensive. I suggest making a list of what you need power wise, and how often it is going to run, and, your budget. How much are you willing to spend. Starting price is about P15,000 (it's gonna be noisy and expensive to run) the sky is the limit.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kreole said:

I just returned from buying one of two Honda EU20i Inverter Generators. (This is the equivalent of an EU2000i Inverter Generator commonly sold in the US.)

EU20i Leaflet in ENG.pdf

honda-eu20i-2000w-generator.jpg

This generator will run most of my current apartment, with the exception of anything "hot'', or the air-con. That is, no hot water heater in the bathroom (3,500 watts), no hot water kettle (1,800 watts), no counter ovens of any kind (1,100 watts). However, it will run a large inverter refrigerator, a deep freezer, lights and fans, my entire LAN, and the air and water pumps, as well as the lighting in our greenhouse for the aquaponics system. 

Ironically, we had a 2.5 hour power cut yesterday, which gave me the perfect chance to break in this generator. I connected it to the house and ran all fans, lights and greenhouse loads, and refrigerator / freezer, without fail. I barely noticed it come off idle, in fact. (It has an Eco-Throttle option to save petrol, where it increases engine speed according to the load on the generator. It is also very quiet while running on this setting.)

What you should do, is to follow similar advice you may have read, that is given to people who want to go with solar. Buy yourself a power meter (or, alternatively, read the wattage rating on each appliance) and check the draw of each appliance you wish to run, simultaneously. Add those loads up, and multiply times 3 for any motors, like old style refrigerator compressors, that you may wish to run.

Personally, 2,000 watts to 3,000 watts is plenty, if all you wish to do is make it through a storm, or through a scheduled power cut. 

There are other models of generators out there, like Chinese made units. But, they will be very loud, vibrate continuously, and will not have the lifespan of a Honda Inverter Generator. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 8

Ron, if you plan on staying in this house long term, it will behoove you to replace every light you have, with LEDs. That is the first thing I do, when I move into a new place to live. (Fortunately, the next place we are moving to will be the last, we are having LEDs built in already.)

This will save money on your power bill like you may never believe. It will also be more lighting load that a smaller generator can handle, giving you more bang for your buck, so to speak.

• Like 2

Paul, how much did the Honda cost?

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

I connected it to the house

Also...(dumb question)....how do you connect it to the house?

7 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Paul, how much did the Honda cost?

$888 USD, each.

8 minutes ago, Dafey said:

With a simple double pole, double throw (DPDT) switch.

$_58.JPG

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Paul said:

I just returned from buying one of two Honda EU20i Inverter Generators. (This is the equivalent of an EU2000i Inverter Generator commonly sold in the US.)

EU20i Leaflet in ENG.pdf

honda-eu20i-2000w-generator.jpg

This generator will run most of my current apartment, with the exception of anything "hot'', or the air-con. That is, no hot water heater in the bathroom (3,500 watts), no hot water kettle (1,800 watts), no counter ovens of any kind (1,100 watts). However, it will run a large inverter refrigerator, a deep freezer, lights and fans, my entire LAN, and the air and water pumps, as well as the lighting in our greenhouse for the aquaponics system. 

Ironically, we had a 2.5 hour power cut yesterday, which gave me the perfect chance to break in this generator. I connected it to the house and ran all fans, lights and greenhouse loads, without fail. In fact, I barely noticed it come off idle, in fact. (It has an Eco-Throttle option to save petrol, where it increases engine speed according to the load on the generator. It is also very quiet while running on this setting.)

What you should do, is to follow similar advice you may have read, that is given to people who want to go with solar. Buy yourself a power meter (or, alternatively, read the wattage rating on each appliance) and check the draw of each appliance you wish to run, simultaneously. Add those loads up, and multiply times 3 for any motors, like old style refrigerator compressors, that you may wish to run.

Personally, 2,000 watts to 3,000 watts is plenty, if all you wish to do is make it through a storm, or through a scheduled power cut. 

There are other models of generators out there, like Chinese made units. But, they will be very loud, vibrate continuously, and will not have the lifespan of a Honda Inverter Generator. 

Another point on power rating, not all testing is created equal. Where Honda, Generac, and some other quality gen sets rate theirs pretty closely, some cheaper units are not so  ethical. Under many conditions a cheaper 4 kw unit will not put out the same power as the 3000 kw of higher quality.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Something like this is another way, in Florida a friend does something like this on houses for friends or a house can be backfed via the stove outlet by shutting down the outside main. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2017 at 4:30 PM, shadow said:

Another point on power rating, not all testing is created equal. Where Honda, Generac, and some other quality gen sets rate theirs pretty closely, some cheaper units are not so  ethical. Under many conditions a cheaper 4 kw unit will not put out the same power as the 3000 kw of higher quality.  

True that. Honda has a two-year guarantee. They also openly state this generator will safely provide 2,000 watts of power, for up to 30 minutes. Continuous rating is 1,600 watts.

Also, turn the muffler away from you, place the Honda 3 meters away and you can carry on a typical (volume) conversation.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2