Bishop

US taxes - Paper filing 1040 + W7 for TIN

13 posts in this topic

Keep in mind that you can always file an amended tax return, even several years later.  For example, you can file now as a single taxpayer (assuming that you were previously) and file an amended return later with a joint return.  An ITIN is not issued unless there is a tax requirement, so the amended return can give you the time required to get other identification.

Isn't a birth certificate available?  Even an LTO learners permit would work, especially if you used  the services of the RAO who is familiar with Philippine documents.

I realize that may end up costing you up front, but it does give you time for other processing.  

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

@SkyMan Where did this quote come from?

Me.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Bishop said:

I have her voter ID which is listed as acceptable however it has her maiden name so I am unsure if it will be accepted.

If this sounds odd to you you're not alone.  But if you look at Salty's post on pg 1 and on the IRS site you'll see that you have to prove her ID and that she's a foreign national.  You don't have to prove the 2 of you are married.  ????  

11 hours ago, Jawny said:

Keep in mind that you can always file an amended tax return, even several years later.  For example, you can file now as a single taxpayer (assuming that you were previously) and file an amended return later with a joint return.  An ITIN is not issued unless there is a tax requirement, so the amended return can give you the time required to get other identification.

That would be my advice.  File now as single and then amend with the W-7 and her pp when you get it.  UNLESS, she's getting the pp to go to the US on a spousal visa in which case I would wait to amend the return until she is in the US and you can amend it with her SSAN.

Edited by SkyMan
1 person likes this