• Announcements

• Paul

New Members' Forum   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Bishop

US taxes - Paper filing 1040 + W7 for TIN

13 posts in this topic

I understand I need to paper file my US taxes because I am newly married and my wife doesn't have a TIN/SS#. Has anyone done this recently? I was planning to go the consulate and get them to certify a copy of one of her IDs, is this the easiest way? 

Also what's the best way to send documents to the US from Cebu in the 3-week window I have left?

26 minutes ago, Bishop said:

I understand I need to paper file my US taxes because I am newly married and my wife doesn't have a TIN/SS#. Has anyone done this recently? I was planning to go the consulate and get them to certify a copy of one of her IDs, is this the easiest way? 

Also what's the best way to send documents to the US from Cebu in the 3-week window I have left?

Unless it's changed, you will need to go through an IRS authorized agent to certified a copy of her Passport. I did mine several years ago through the RAO in Subic. You don't have to be retired military or a member. Did it all via the mail.They were the only ones who could certify a copy of her Passport. I can't remember if/what other IDs were acceptable. Just call their number and tell them what you need. They will pass you to the person you need to talk to. They will get her Passport back to you in a few days and file the application along with your 1040. I think they charged me around P1500.

If you want to file for it yourself, I think you will have to send in the original of her Passport and it could take weeks to get it back from the USA.

You may be allowed an automatic 2-month extension of time to file your return and pay any federal income tax that is due. You will be allowed the extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and on the regular due date of your return:

• You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

If you use a calendar year, the regular due date of your return is April 15, and the automatic extended due date would be June 15. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day.
Even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

1 person likes this

I had to do this last year. You need to sent to the IRS a copy of her passport which has been authenticated also known as red ribbon. Easiest way to do it is use this service http://www.authenticationexpress.com/nationwide.html they will guide you through the process. 

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Unless it's changed, you will need to go through an IRS authorized agent to certified a copy of her Passport. I did mine several years ago through the RAO in Subic. You don't have to be retired military or a member. Did it all via the mail.They were the only ones who could certify a copy of her Passport. I can't remember if/what other IDs were acceptable. Just call their number and tell them what you need. They will pass you to the person you need to talk to. They will get her Passport back to you in a few days and file the application along with your 1040. I think they charged me around P1500.

If you want to file for it yourself, I think you will have to send in the original of her Passport and it could take weeks to get it back from the USA.

You may be allowed an automatic 2-month extension of time to file your return and pay any federal income tax that is due. You will be allowed the extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and on the regular due date of your return:

• You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

If you use a calendar year, the regular due date of your return is April 15, and the automatic extended due date would be June 15. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day.
Even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

This sounds familiar to the process I followed.  If you search the IRS website, they will refer you to "agents" (not sure of the term) who are designated as officially allowed to review the W7 application.  I sent to the RAO documents they asked for and these were returned promptly.  I used LBC to send and receive the returned documents.  I recall using email to get the instructions.  Cost was reasonable, a couple thousand pesos.  

I had attempted to get the process completed by myself before I learned of the RAO doing this service.  Twice I sent a passport and the application etc.  Costly to send, and more disturbing was the IRS returned the passport in regular mail.  Got it, but was surprised.

In both cases that I tried, the process was unable to complete, largely because there is a time frame to respond and typically this passes before you can get everything done. Using the RAO eliminates this entirely.

You can still file the taxes without the ITIN. Just indicate that it has been applied for.  The taxes will be delayed until the ITIN is provided, but this way you meet the deadline for filing.

1 person likes this

From Form W7 Instructions: iw7.pdf

Supporting Documentation
Requirements
The documentation you provide must meet the following
requirements.

1. You must submit documentation to establish your identity
and your connection to a foreign country (“foreign status”).
Applicants claimed as dependents must also prove U.S.
residency unless the applicant is from Mexico or Canada or the
applicant is a dependent of U.S. military personnel stationed
overseas.

2. You must submit original documents, or certified copies of
these documents from the issuing agency, that support the
information provided on Form W-7. A certified document is one
that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an
exact copy of the original document and contains an official
stamped seal from the agency. You may be able to request a
certified copy of documents at an embassy or consulate.
However, services may vary between countries, so it is
recommended that you contact the appropriate consulate or
embassy for specific information.

3. The documentation you provide must be current (that is,
not expired).
There are 13 acceptable documents as shown in the table
below. At least one document must contain your photograph,
unless you're a dependent under age 14 (under age 18 if a
student). Also, you may later be required to provide a certified
translation of foreign-language documents.

Capture.JPG.140fd864a7cd4c506e56ade7ad775a19.JPG

If you submit an original passport or a certified copy from the
issuing agency, you do not need to submit any other documents
from the table.
Proof of U.S. residency for applicants who are
dependents. Applicants claimed as dependents must also
prove U.S. residency unless the applicant is from Mexico or
Canada or the applicant is a dependent of U.S. military
personnel stationed overseas. Effective October 1, 2016, a
passport that doesn’t have a date of entry will no longer be
accepted as a stand-alone identification document for
dependents, unless the dependents are from Mexico, Canada,
or dependents of U.S. military personnel stationed overseas.
Applicants will be required to submit (along with the supporting
documentation listed above):

iw7.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-w7

Edited by Salty Dog

5 hours ago, Bishop said:

I was planning to go the consulate and get them to certify a copy of one of her IDs, is this the easiest way? 

No, the consulate will not authenticate a Philippine document.

The easiest way.....

While well intentioned, the above replies are not the easiest way.  The easiest way is to send your 1040 and W-7 with her actual passport.  The IRS is quick to return the passport and if it gets lost, RP passports are fairly cheap.  Don't bother with all this authentication BS.  If she doesn't have one yet, get her one.  You get until June 15th to file if you reside overseas but there is a form to fill out to get that.  You still have to pay on time but filling can wait until June.

PS: Don't send the 1040 etc to the normal overseas processing center but to the W-7 center which I believe is in Austin.

Edited by SkyMan
1 person likes this

While well intentioned, the above replies are not the easiest way.  The easiest way is to send your 1040 and W-7 with her actual passport.  The IRS is quick to return the passport and if it gets lost, RP passports are fairly cheap.  Don't bother with all this authentication BS.  If she doesn't have one yet, get her one.  You get until June 15th to file if you reside overseas but there is a form to fill out to get that.  You still have to pay on time but filling can wait until June.

@SkyMan Where did this quote come from?

OK she doesn't have a passport and they are really backed up in Cebu so that's not an option. I believe her appointment is in June but I don't know when she will actually receive it. I have her voter ID which is listed as acceptable however it has her maiden name so I am unsure if it will be accepted. Most of her IDs have been changed to her married name but unfortunately those are the ones that aren't acceptable.

So grateful for the replies! Even though I read the instructions multiple times you guys filled in the gaps: I didn't know about the automatic 2-month extension and Turbotax didn't give me a headsup on that. I didn't know the consulate didn't authenticate documents as it is what's recommended in the instructions. I knew I had to send the W7/1040 to Austin but I thought I also had to send the 1040 and payment to the usual filing spot as well, I already made 2 copies so your reply saved me ~$30 in shipping! 

Current plan based on your advice is:

1) send payment before April 18, even though I may not need to, I don't make estimated payments so the juice will be running if I don't

2) file for extension til September because the automatic won't be enough

3) file W7/1040 once we have her passport, using an authenticated copy if we have plans to travel, otherwise sending the original   

Thanks again! :thumbsup::acute::drinks:    

Keep in mind that you can always file an amended tax return, even several years later.  For example, you can file now as a single taxpayer (assuming that you were previously) and file an amended return later with a joint return.  An ITIN is not issued unless there is a tax requirement, so the amended return can give you the time required to get other identification.

Isn't a birth certificate available?  Even an LTO learners permit would work, especially if you used  the services of the RAO who is familiar with Philippine documents.

I realize that may end up costing you up front, but it does give you time for other processing.  

I have the certified birth cert and voters ID but requirements say they must match name in box 1a which is her married name, I don't have any official IDs in  that name.