Buko Beach

Everything You Always Wanted to Ask About Cebu Condos, But Were Afraid To Ask

14 hours ago, Lee said:

When buying or renting, try to get as far away from the elevators and garbage chute.

Why elevators?

My unit is right next to the garbage room. Thought it'd be convenient if I buy food or drink to home.

Edited by rep1

13 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I know many people during new construction, bought two smaller units adjacent to each other and then combined them. I was told this was to beat the VAT.

You need to use different names, because the law specifically stats the VAT is also applied to the same person who buy adjacent units in the same year (or within a year).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Buko Beach said:

That's a pretty important issue (to me anyway) if the condo association marks up the Veco. The rates are already expensive enough as-is.

Don't know if our Assoc gets VECO commercial rates or what their rate is. VECO rates start at 7.865 pesos (wholesale) and 10.68 pesos (residential) + 12% VAT + 0.75% Local Franchise Tax (LFT) of Cebu City.

We are charged 12.5 pesos / KwH VAT included.

Our water is charged to us at 60 pesos per CbM and I don't know the "normal" rate for Cebu City water usage is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rep1 said:

Why elevators?

My unit is right next to the garbage room. Thought it'd be convenient if I buy food or drink to home.

I rented a place for a while next to the garbage chute, actually a "garbage room" in this case. Everyone put their trash in the room and staff would collect it once every day or two.

Smell was a partial issue, plus roaches liked to live in the vicinity of the garbage room and would also sneak into my place. Worst of all is idiots who put their trash in the room and then slam the door as hard as they possibly can, because they can. The place I rent now has a chute but it's hidden behind a full door that could be slammed too. Thankfully this new rental (another building elsewhere in Cebu) is nowhere near the chute this time.

Elevators are bad too. Everyone standing around them talking loudly while waiting (NOBODY has an indoor voice in the Philippines), and all the dings as it goes to nearby floors day and night.

So yeah, never in a million years would I consider buying or renting a condo near the garbage area or elevator :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Aerosick said:

Don't know if our Assoc gets VECO commercial rates or what their rate is. VECO rates start at 7.865 pesos (wholesale) and 10.68 pesos (residential) + 12% VAT + 0.75% Local Franchise Tax (LFT) of Cebu City.

We are charged 12.5 pesos / KwH VAT included.

Our water is charged to us at 60 pesos per CbM and I don't know the "normal" rate for Cebu City water usage is.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Can you change the lock on your condo door without providing the administration a copy?

I realize that every condo development has different rules and regulations, some are strictly enforced, some not. That aside, has anyone changed the lock?

8 hours ago, rep1 said:

Why elevators?

Elevators are usually noisy and people who come off the elevators late at night are often noisy, I like it to be as quiet as possible, thus away from elevators and people.

As for the garbage chute, two reasons, people using the chute sometimes slam it and the door to it and use it at all hours of the day and night, have you heard what it sounds like when bottles go down, and bugs, ants and rats like garbage so being next to the chute increases chances of having one or all at sometime during ownership.

• Like 4

Can you change the lock on your condo door without providing the administration a copy?
I realize that every condo development has different rules and regulations, some are strictly enforced, some not. That aside, has anyone changed the lock?

I plan to change my lock when I change my flimsy door. I will not get permission or give the administrator the new key.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Buko Beach said:

In our building in Cebu yes we changed the locks because the management does not have the key and I sure as heck would not trust them to have the key but I do leave a key with a friend who can access our unit in case any issues come about, our condo in Florida the management has the key.

One way of solving the problem if you have to give a key, is motion detector cameras, thus if anyone enters you will get an email sent to you, in my case to my phone, showing photos of who entered and the time, in order to do that you have to have an electric outlet that stays on when the power is shut off, such as an emergency line, or one hooked to the hallway which is usually on a generator. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buko Beach said:

I not only changed the lock, I added a dead-bolt lock. The door lock can be opened easily with a piece of heavy plastic swiping it down the closing side of the door. Early on there was 1 robbery done this way and I also watched an Assoc Worker do this for an Owner that had locked his keys in his condo.

• Like 5