JohnSurrey

Taekwondo Classes

31 posts in this topic

My wife would like my son to go to taekwondo classes in the summer, her cousin's children in Singapore go to taekwondo...

When she mentioned it I looked online for guidance and quite frankly my feeling is the chances of the classes being taught properly and more importantly (to me) safely here in Leyte provinces is zero.

He's 4 1/2 and if I was in the UK they probably wouldn't let him start until he is 6.

I'd be happy for him to do it in the UK as I know things would be done properly there and in the event of an accident there'd be a decent local hospital available to pick up the pieces.

In your area, there are classes that teach Tae Kwon Do, as I have been told.  They will often promote their classes at the schools, Filipino style.  Posting notices near the schools.  The the VSU near Baybay city there is a group of students who practice TKD.  

Age is not the issue, it is "maturity". That is, can the child follow instructions.  Many kids have an excited beginning because they want to wear the uniform.  The excitement wears off once the drilling and practice starts.  

It's best if the teacher has experience with kids.  What is commonly done is for the teacher to pass the beginning students to a senior advanced rank in the class.  However, here, I'm not sure how many schools have enough students to even have a population of senior students.  If I were searching, I'd start at VSU.  They likely want to have a summer class for students as a way to raise money.

Injuiries at the beginning level are more often related to bruises or sore muscles from the drills.

If taught correctly, a lot of the first lessons are about stretching, building stamina, and learning techniques. You can watch and see the techniques and then have the child practice a bit at home.  Traditionally, the forms (structured movements) are simple and need practice to master.  This also can be done at home.

1 person likes this

I only know that for Karate here in Cebu myself and would say - it all depends on the Trainer and the dojo.

But - forgert about "he might be too young" or "saftey" - all martial arts needs years of practise - ok he will get his belts every other month - but I would say he needs at least 2 years before you can say he can do propper TaeKwonDo or anything.

Forget about - learn it fast - exactly thats the wrong goal. Take your time and learn it slow - better send him to classes 3-4 times a week than just 1-2 times.
Maybe at first he is excited - after 2-3 month he might geto bored because 90% of martial arts is repeating the moves and technics over and over again.

Only train at home when you understood WHAT zpu do and HOW the move is right - otherwise you only train yourself wrong movements ! A good trainer in a dojo will have special beginners classes so that he can correct that from the start - after 6 month training your son should start at home - but that also depends on if hes mature enough to do that.

Look on Google and Facebook - and dont be shy to test the different schools - and if theres no TaeKWonDo then look for KArate, or KungFu or anything else - theres no "best" martial arts" !
ALL martial arts teach you patience and self discipline - and self defense - fighting is never the goal of martial arts. So even TaiChi is martial arts - if you do the moves fast !

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

When she mentioned it I looked online for guidance and quite frankly my feeling is the chances of the classes being taught properly and more importantly (to me) safely here in Leyte provinces is zero.

The first year or so will mostly be practicing Kata (dance) and teaching basic striking. You have very little to worry about as far as injury is concerned.

I have put 3 kids thru training in 3 different martial arts.  Taekwon-Do, Kenpo and KravMaga. I have see kids you child's age in all 3 with no problems

At that age I have never seen any physical contact between students. Just monitor the situation closely for anything you feel is inappropriate. 

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, KID said:

The first year or so will mostly be practicing Kata (dance)

I studied Shotokan Karate as a teenager.  To call a Kata a dance is a strange thing.  It's a series of movements designed to teach the student....................Saturday Night Fever?

Martial arts is much more than self defence, it's about discipline, measured response and focus.

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

To call a Kata a dance is a strange thing

Study the history of Kenpo and you will see why I call it a dance :)

Edited by KID

Posted (edited)

I don't need to. I've been a student of martial arts for many years. There is choreography involved, but to reduce it all to a dance is far from the truth.

But hey-ho, Bruce Lee was a Cha-cha champion in Hong Kong, so who says it isn't all a dance? :rolleyes:

American Kenpo /ˈkɛmpoʊ/, pronounced KeMpo, is a martial art characterized by the use of quick and powerful strikes delivered from all of the body's natural weapons, powered by rapid stance transitions.

Edited by Skywalker

40 minutes ago, KID said:

The first year or so will mostly be practicing Kata (dance) and teaching basic striking. You have very little to worry about as far as injury is concerned.

I have put 3 kids thru training in 3 different martial arts.  Taekwon-Do, Kenpo and KravMaga. I have see kids you child's age in all 3 with no problems

At that age I have never seen any physical contact between students. Just monitor the situation closely for anything you feel is inappropriate. 

Thanks -  When you say you have you put 3 kids thru training - was that here or were you somewhere else?

My big worry is organisation, supervision and discipline - none of which I see at my child's school! Or many other places in the Philippines so why it would be different in Taekwondo summer camp I don't know.

And whilst you've never seen any "physical contact" and like you I wouldn't expect any at that age... There always seems to be some idiot around who wants to show off their kicks... unless there's things are properly organised and supervised etc.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Skywalker said:

I don't need to. I've been a student of martial arts for many years. There is choreography involved, but to reduce it all to a dance is far from the truth.

Then you should know how the Kata came about in Okinawan  Kenpo and the reference to the "dance"

Okinawans, under the rule of foreign powers, were prohibited from carrying weapons or practicing with them in public and were prohibited from practicing their fighting technique. In order to pass down thier skills to the younger generation they developed "dances" that included the moves of thier technique as to not break those rules. Thus the kata was born in Okinawan Kenpo 

1 hour ago, JohnSurrey said:

Thanks -  When you say you have you put 3 kids thru training - was that here or were you somewhere else?

Kids all trained/training in the US.

Edited by KID
3 people like this

7 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

My big worry is organisation, supervision and discipline - none of which I see at my child's school! Or many other places in the Philippines so why it would be different in Taekwondo summer camp I don't know.

And whilst you've never seen any "physical contact" and like you I wouldn't expect any at that age... There always seems to be some idiot around who wants to show off their kicks... unless there's things are properly organised and supervised etc.

The participation in a beginners class of TKD is most likely a low risk activity.  Learning tennis might have more inherent risks.  In the beginning of lessons, kids will typically follow directions (if capable) and develop pride in the skills they do develop.  

If you're concerned that the instructor may be careless or teach bad things,  then don't sign them up.  The classes are likely to be done Filipino style, but not a lot can go wrong.

You're referring to summer classes, so most likely, they will end as the school year begins.  Kids lose interest when they have other activities.  The teaching done by the TKD group at VSU will not likely continue classes after summer school.  Their group is more related to their own student population (as I have been told).

If there is a regular school near you now, you could go to it and watch and judge for yourself.  There may be many more choices in Ormoc city, but that includes a trip there and back.

1 person likes this