Shrek484

Internet

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ok talking to a real moron here so keep it basic and simple, please ;-) 

I need to teach online and need a good cable connection or at very least high-speed internet connection for "on the move" how can I obtain that? is there a fast mobile wifi type device ? any and all suggestions on topic are welcome please

Goals = be able to teach online from my chosen hotel. house either by buying a monthly line or mobile connection if available at the right speed!

Cheers Ash.

please be gentle as i hate computers and only know enough to get it all wrong ;-) 

sorry forgot to mention this is for my next 2 month vacation in july, when i move there i know what to do when i get my house ;-)

Edited by Shrek484

depending on location, location, location, location

you could go for the globe pockit wifi

it is 1495 php

and get the globe LTE sim only

what speed do you need and what is your monthly expected data usage ?

1 person likes this

You can read this thread

Some good information there, hmm  also some noice

1 person likes this

I would suggest that you try to rent a condo in IT Park for your stay that already has fast internet, otherwise good luck with a constant reliable connection using LTE, I have tried both Globe and Smart and at times in my area they have gone offline, especially during the midnight to 6 am hours, I guess that might be when they do service or updates.. :unsure: 

2 people like this

Data no idea sorry i am useless at this crap, my current speed is 100mb and it normally speed tests at 65mb  which is great, i can go as low as 10mb I believe for my online teaching, i need it normally between 5pm -9pm then on weekends 9am -11am and then 5pm to 7pm

I will look at renting a condo with good internet but will also need to travel from Cebu city as it is a vacation and would like to be able to teach at different locations, if not possible i will book days or a week off a few times over my vacation period

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Shrek484 said:

Data no idea sorry i am useless at this crap, my current speed is 100mb and it normally speed tests at 65mb  which is great, i can go as low as 10mb I believe for my online teaching, i need it normally between 5pm -9pm then on weekends 9am -11am and then 5pm to 7pm

I will look at renting a condo with good internet but will also need to travel from Cebu city as it is a vacation and would like to be able to teach at different locations, if not possible i will book days or a week off a few times over my vacation period

I hope you realize that you are discussing the Philippines, this is a 3rd world country, thus internet does not work well in many places, does not work at all in other places, some areas have no cell phone service at all. Portable such as LTE service has data caps, for instance my Smart Pocket wifi slows down at 800 mb of use and comes to a crawl when I reach 1mb of data use, also speeds vary from great during low usage times to sucks during heavy usage, this is not a first world country, thus your idea of teaching on the run most likely will not work. 

(add), but will depend greatly on the areas you will be traveling to.

Edited by Lee

58 minutes ago, Lee said:

I hope you realize that you are discussing the Philippines, this is a 3rd world country, thus internet does not work well in many places, does not work at all in other places, some areas have no cell phone service at all. Portable such as LTE service has data caps, for instance my Smart Pocket wifi slows down at 800 mb of use and comes to a crawl when I reach 1mb of data use, also speeds vary from great during low usage times to sucks during heavy usage, this is not a first world country, thus your idea of teaching on the run most likely will not work. 

(add), but will depend greatly on the areas you will be traveling to.

Yes, Lee, I realise hence the question here, to get people's views from their area so I can map out a travel plan!

I think I said earlier that when I have enough info from the good people here I will make a plan and will plan my vacation around the internet. 

eg- first week probably spent at a friends house who has awesome internet, so I can teach!

week 2 maybe Bantayan island, no info on the internet there so will not book any lessons and just chill

week 3 Toledo city, the internet is available there and checking right now with the hotel the speeds they have and if pocket works and the chances of me getting my own line at my expense.

And so on for the full 2 months stay, 

One reply here was to rent in Cebu and use it as a base which is something that I am talking to a friend about as his place may well be for rent for the whole two months, that way I could book my lessons in advance as I am required to do then also book mt free time for my trips out. 

Cheers Ash.

1 person likes this

Yesterday I saw a sign for "Call center space rental - 3000php" but I guess thats only the cubicle without any phone and pc.

But - internet here really depends on place AND time - there's no guaranteed minimum bandwidth you get (or what they guarantee you is way below what you need and even that is guarnteed only 75% of the time)

In case you go for pocketwifi - better get the Openline LTE pocketwifi from CDR-King - its around 3500php but works with any sim.

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

In case you go for pocketwifi - better get the Openline LTE pocketwifi from CDR-King - its around 3500php but works with any sim.

The globe LTE pocket wifi is 1495 PHP

The Smart LTE pocket WIFI you can have it for 1995 php

http://smart.com.ph/Bro/plans-and-devices/pocket-wifi/limited-edition-lte-pocket-wifi

2 people like this

Actually, bandwidth is probably the least of your worries.  If it's just VoIP then that takes very, very little bandwidth.  What matters is loss/latency/jitter.  Loss (lost packets) can be the result of too little bandwidth, but not normally at your end of the pipe, not at 'the last mile', the congestion is usually somewhere else in the transmission path.  Unless your using wifi of course, then your wifi connection could be an issue if your channel is getting stepped on.  Use an ethernet connection to test with to take the wifi out of the equation.  Latency is simply how long it takes your voice to be transmitted to the receivers ear, and jitter is the variance of that delay.

So there's not a heck of a lot that you can reasonably do to improve things outside of using the carrier with the best backbone and international interconnects.  And I think you're almost certainly going to be using PLDTs backbone if I understand the situation here correctly (which certainly could be the case).

I've used some free, web based VoIP quality test apps before, just took a quick look and I didn't see anything decent, but I'll look again when I have more time.  We may be moving soon so I may need something to test with.

1 person likes this