Tullioz

Senator Sotto says more than half of Filipino drivers are stupid

Let's not forget many Filipinos are first generation drivers with very little experience driving anything. 

In the west, and I am sure other places, there is a natural progression towards driving a car. I was given a tricycle at around age 4 or 5. Then a bicycle. Then later on I started driving a riding lawn mower maybe around ten. At fourteen I was driving a John Deer tractor. So when I turned 16 driving a car seemed easy. 

Now let's look at the progression of a typical Pinoy. Most Filipinos driving/riding experience is on a scooter if they are lucky. And It's a huge step up to move to four wheels and a completely different set of skills. 

Now here in Bohol they are offering a new car to anyone with a pulse. I read in the paper they sold 5000 new cars a month, every month last year. (I have a hard time believing that number). I doubt there are 60,000 truly qualified drivers on the island to drive these new cars. This will not end well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SumDumJoe said:

Let's not forget many Filipinos are first generation drivers with very little experience driving anything.

Experience does not matter. Experience teaches you do do more spectacularly dumb shit here. More experience=worse driver. Look at how the tricycle drivers drive. The new inexperienced and scared ones will sometimes pull off to the side of the road and wait for traffic to clear enough to turn around,  the experienced ones just look for a hole and flip a Uturn right in front of you knowing that you have to stop, even if you are going 80. Before I was experienced driving here I'd have just slowed down and done 20km behind the asshole doing that in front of me but now with my newly gained experience I try to blaze past him to the right or left while laying down on my horn.

11 hours ago, Topper said:

At least it is a good way to teach her hand signals. :thumbsup:  

I had to teach my wife left from right first.

Were you really able to accomplish that? I gave up, and tried using port and starboard. No better.

I do wish I could find a riding mower or tractor to put her on, to teach her to park and back up.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, shadow said:

Were you really able to accomplish that? I gave up, and tried using port and starboard. No better.

I do wish I could find a riding mower or tractor to put her on, to teach her to park and back up.

My wife learned to drive in the States. She quickly gained her confidence and at her peak promptly had two accidents, both her fault.

Edited by angbumabasa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lolhahaha said:

Experience does not matter. Experience teaches you do do more spectacularly dumb shit here. More experience=worse driver. Look at how the tricycle drivers drive. The new inexperienced and scared ones will sometimes pull off to the side of the road and wait for traffic to clear enough to turn around,  the experienced ones just look for a hole and flip a Uturn right in front of you knowing that you have to stop, even if you are going 80. Before I was experienced driving here I'd have just slowed down and done 20km behind the asshole doing that in front of me but now with my newly gained experience I try to blaze past him to the right or left while laying down on my horn.

So if you go in for heart surgery make sure to ask for the doctor that has no experience versus the doctor that has 20 years of experience. 

I believe the ones that are more timid are the ones that have been t-boned a time or two and have learned that their actions have consequences. The dogs that have a permanent limp are much more cautious crossing the street. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shadow said:

I gave up too. She wound up going to a driving school where she fared a little better. She eventually got her driving lic and does well as long as she doesn't get on the highway. She has not had an accident and it has been about 9 years now. Gotta give the girl credit where credit is due. 

• Like 2

Sat on a balcony in Manila and watched an ambulance, with lights and sirens going, trying to get through heavy traffic and vehicles were cutting it off as soon as they saw an opening in front of it......the Senator was low on his estimate. 

Stebel Air Horn on a bike or car can be a life saver in the Philippines.

Stebel  Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn   

stebel.jpg.20ab7711f419ed21ca465ea9aa3884a1.jpg

11 hours ago, Topper said:

I gave up too. She wound up going to a driving school where she fared a little better. She eventually got her driving lic and does well as long as she doesn't get on the highway. She has not had an accident and it has been about 9 years now. Gotta give the girl credit where credit is due. 

My wife has been driving about 3 years now. She does great on the highway, and even in heavy traffic, but cannot back up or park, and left or right has no meaning to her at all.

• Like 2

The appalling quality of road manners here is most certainly down to the lack of enforcement. If there is no consequence for bad habits they become ingrained.

• Like 2