Tullioz

Senator Sotto says more than half of Filipino drivers are stupid

2 hours ago, oztony said:

80% should not be operating a motor vehicle IMO

I have to take exception to that number.    I think its too low !

• Like 6

11 hours ago, tonny said:

Not SO!!!!! Just 99.9 % i have been driving here 9 plus year  3 different cars,and each day like i almost get in a  close call each 1,000 meters or so. But knock on wood so far so good.I found out if they start to pull out in front of you from some alley or corner,, horn first, then just turn you wheels toward them and they usually back off ,but some times they keep coming then i have to go one step further like just block there way. It could be deadly but what the fxxk at 77 who cares i don't give way ,the wife been telling me for years you going to get shot,hell they shoot you for parking wrong so i know it could  any day . The bad thing is the car i have now is a little KIA  so all the big cars think i am a easy push over so have to fight back ,when i had the big SUVs was different.So if you want to drive here buy a big car or truck you will not get a lot of asses trying  to prove they  can scare you .

I wonder if it's not because big SUV's are, well, big...but because add darkened windows and other drivers will think you are some local bigwig or someone not to cross swords with.

While waiting for her visa I had my wife go to driving school in Cebu,    she learned to blow the horn!   Seems it was enough to be issued a PI's driver license. 

I am sure many will think that I jest or is some macho thing or an exaggeration,  it is an honest appraisal of her driving skills after 20 lessons.  In the US I had to start her out on a riding mower.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Jester said:

While waiting for her visa I had my wife go to driving school in Cebu,    she learned to blow the horn!   Seems it was enough to be issued a PI's driver license. 

I am sure many will think that I jest or is some macho thing or an exaggeration,  it is an honest appraisal of her driving skills after 20 lessons.  In the US I had to start her out on a riding mower.

At least it is a good way to teach her hand signals. :thumbsup:  

I had to teach my wife left from right first.

• Like 3

My wife went through driving lessons with MJM Driving School on Mactan. Then, before we went to the US in the spring of 2016, she got her drivers license, but didn't want to drive our car here on Cebu because it scared her so bad. She then spent a month with me in the US (Utah), and she drove there. Because I was having serious health issues, I needed her to do some of the driving. Although she was quite timid at first, she drove very well, so her driving lessons must have taught her fairly well.

By the time she returned to Cebu (without me), she was confident enough to drive our daughter to school and back. She was still too scared to drive very far, but after I got back to Cebu, I encouraged her to drive further. She has driven to a couple of malls now and to some restaurants, but heavy traffic still frightens her.

I don't know if she will ever get used to driving here because driving is a lot more complicated here than it is in the US. There are just so much unpredictability on the roads here. Everything just jumps out at you. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be a beginner driver here. Add to that the fact that most drivers here have absolutely no training (other than watching others), and there is little wonder why so many Filipinos are such poor drivers.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

It is like the wild west here, and not just for drivers, but for pedestrians as well.  The timid pedestrian will get nowhere unless there is an actual stop light; stop signs won't cut it.  The bold ones make it across the street by just walking in front of a vehicle.  I have done the same thing many times.  But my strategy is a little different than Filipinos.  As I am walking, I look the driver directly in the face and put out my hand as a signal I want to cross in front.  This works 99% of the time.  And when I have passed the driver, I wave and give him/her the thumbs up in thanks.  

It may seem funny, but it works getting the driver's attention to focus on you.  Since the cross walks are many times worthless I find myself crossing in the middle of the lanes and sometimes standing in the medium or center line waiting for a break in the incoming vehicles to complete my crossing.  That may mean standing in the middle of a very buy street for a minute, but not usually longer than that.  Weaving between cars at an intersection also seems to be commonplace since that is where congestion mostly occurs and cars are forced to slow down.

Other expats have commented on how motorcyclists use the sidewalks, and this is something I am very averse to especially when they approach from behind and pass within inches.  Should I have changed direction even a few inches in either direction, I could be seriously injured.  So many times I have wanted to just knock the driver off his bike and make sure he has a hard landing.  However, being a foreigner and pushing 70 it only remains a fantasy of just desserts.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Headshot said:

My wife went through driving lessons with MJM Driving School on Mactan. Then, before we went to the US in the spring of 2016, she got her drivers license, but didn't want to drive our car here on Cebu because it scared her so bad. She then spent a month with me in the US (Utah), and she drove there. Because I was having serious health issues, I needed her to do some of the driving. Although she was quite timid at first, she drove very well, so her driving lessons must have taught her fairly well.

By the time she returned to Cebu (without me), she was confident enough to drive our daughter to school and back. She was still too scared to drive very far, but after I got back to Cebu, I encouraged her to drive further. She has driven to a couple of malls now and to some restaurants, but heavy traffic still frightens her.

I don't know if she will ever get used to driving here because driving is a lot more complicated here than it is in the US. There are just so much unpredictability on the roads here. Everything just jumps out at you. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be a beginner driver here. Add to that the fact that most drivers here have absolutely no training (other than watching others), and there is little wonder why so many Filipinos are such poor drivers.

It was tough to get her going.   Fortunately at the time we lived in a rural area of FL with little traffic, that helped alot.  In urban areas the timidity was nerve wracking and took some time.  At 8 years in the US she started using the freeways daily to go to classes in the next town.  That was a big accomplishment, many of her friends still will not drive on expressways even being here and driving much longer than her.

Having a mini van, she said it was too big to drive, I told her all she had to do was step on the pedals and steer, not carry it :  )

Of course being so tiny she can barely see over the wheel does not help.

Slowly but surely, day by day,  step by step.

• Like 1

what it comes down to is there is no common sense in most anything over there, but then again living in florida is like living in a third world country!

IMHO 1/2 are stupid and 1/2 are parked, most illegally.

• Like 3

My GF went through the process of getting a student licence and then a full licence.  She has never driven anything but is now qualified to jump into the car and drive off unaccompanied!

• Like 1