Tullioz

Senator Sotto says more than half of Filipino drivers are stupid

I think all countries have a rule of law. The difference in  many other countries is not only the willingness to enforce the laws, but also the ability to do so .  If you  drive like an idiot in the west you dont get far before a police car grabs you . Drive badly enough and even other drivers will get on their cel phones to report you .

If you educated the police here as to what the laws are and then gave them all police cars and paid them a livable wage and told them to enforce the laws  then you would see the way that people drive  change very quickly .

[ well thats the theory anyway , we all know that somehow things would still be terrible, but we can always hope ! ]

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

If you educated the police here as to what the laws are and then gave them all police cars and paid them a livable wage and told them to enforce the laws  then you would see the way that people drive  change very quickly .

[ well thats the theory anyway , we all know that somehow things would still be terrible, but we can always hope ! ]

Totally agree - it is about enforcing the law (and of course - police should know). But as long as you have "traffic enforcers" - just think for a moment about the term "traffic enforcers" - no law will be enforced. I noticed that before lunch and merienda these enforces show up with their fine booklet to get some money out of the drivers....and thinking about that one of the highest fine is to drive a bike without helmet (2000p). Bike drivers I find the most stupid - specially driving with their small kids and without helmet

Edited by Cgu

26 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I think all countries have a rule of law. The difference in  many other countries is not only the willingness to enforce the laws, but also the ability to do so . 

Without enforcement, there is no rule of law. Sure, there are laws, but nobody pays any attention to them, so how is the country ruling using the laws?

Edited by Headshot

21 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Without enforcement, there is no rule of law. Sure, there are laws, but nobody pays any attention to them, so how is the country ruling using the laws?

Of course there is !! Just because the laws are not always enforced does not mean that there is no rule of law.  Perhaps this comment will explain it  to you better:

The rule of law is the legal principle that law should govern a nation, as opposed to being governed by arbitrary decisions of individual government officials. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_law

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Most drivers in the US follow most of the laws. Here, drivers seldom follow laws unless the law favors what they want to do anyway

One of the first observations my ex made about the US was that everyone mostly follows the rules and that traffic was much more orderly. She thought it was funny as hell that when you turn on your blinker that someone would slow down to let you change lanes.

BTW. We have been divorced almost 10 years and she has been in 2 accidents that I know of---both her fault

I guess you can take the girl out of the jungle but not the jungle out of the girl :) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Of course there is !! Just because the laws are not always enforced does not mean that there is no rule of law.  Perhaps this comment will explain it  to you better:

The rule of law is the legal principle that law should govern a nation, as opposed to being governed by arbitrary decisions of individual government officials. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_law

Right, and if the nation isn't governing using the law, then there is no rule of law. Without governance using the law, rule comes from the arbitrary decisions of government officials. The Philippines are all too often ruled by arbitrary decision, regardless of what is written in the law. That is especially true of traffic laws. Thanks for making my point.

• Like 1

The old Eat Bulaga guy of Tito, Vic, and Joey fame is a senator?

I imagine that out here where I live not a single person has a DL. If he's right that 1/2 are stupid then the other 1/2 (the smart ones) are mostly following what the stupid ones do.

The apparent driving "laws" here are anything goes as long as you do it slowly and clog everything up.

How about the dumbass practice of not keeping to the right when dawdling down the road like a snail , they have absolutely no idea how to drive or operate with on the road etiquette,  the driving skills in this country are absolutely appalling they simply just have no idea whatsoever on how to share the road , passing directly into oncoming traffic etc,etc.

80% should not be operating a motor vehicle IMO....

• Like 7

1 hour ago, oztony said:

How about the dumbass practice of not keeping to the right when dawdling down the road like a snail , they have absolutely no idea how to drive or operate with on the road etiquette

That's why I have no problem using the right lane as a passing lane. A lot of times that is the only way to keep from doing 20Kph forever around here. Most cars wait to pass into incoming traffic. I stopped doing that when there's a perfectly clear lane to the right. I just honk on the way around because sometimes the assholes will try to use both lanes. You have to keep your eyes open for moronic shit going on in the right lane though.