• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Tullioz

Senator Sotto says more than half of Filipino drivers are stupid

45 posts in this topic

Says Senator Sotto. 

More than half of Filipino drivers will fail an honest-to-goodness driver’s examination, according to Sen. Vicente Sotto III.

Why? 

Because they are stupid.

“Here in the Philippines, if we [give drivers an honest-to-goodness examination like those required in other countries, especially the United States], I expect more than 50 percent of [them] will not pass,” Sotto said during a hearing on road safety called by the Senate committee on public services on Tuesday.

“Terrible. They are not only reckless but they are also stupid, that’s why they will surely fail,” he said.

“In a real examination, 50 percent of drivers in the Philippines will fail,” he said, without explaining the sudden reduction in his estimate.

Filipino drivers who do not follow traffic rules contribute to the worsening congestion on the country’s roads, said Sotto, who drives his own car.

“Who’s responsible for that if not stupid drivers?” he said.

“They violate the law because they did not go through scrutiny. It’s so easy to get a driver’s license here,” he said.

Sotto then urged officials of the Land Transportation Office (LTO) to enforce stricter rules for the issuance and renewal of drivers’ licenses.

Assistant Transportation Secretary Edgar Galvante, the LTO chief, admitted shortcomings in the qualification process, especially in the issuance of professional drivers’ licenses.

Under the law, Galvante said, a driver who has been issued a six-month student permit to drive is qualified to apply for a professional driver’s license.

“It looks like we have shortcomings here that’s why we are changing the procedures. In fact, we will have separate examinations for professional and nonprofessional drivers,” Galvante said.

Currently, he said, there is only one exam for both professional and nonprofessional drivers.

But how separate exams will solve the problem of stupid drivers, he did not say.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/880844/more-than-half-of-filipino-drivers-stupid-says-sotto/amp

3 people like this

Not SO!!!!! Just 99.9 % i have been driving here 9 plus year  3 different cars,and each day like i almost get in a  close call each 1,000 meters or so. But knock on wood so far so good.I found out if they start to pull out in front of you from some alley or corner,, horn first, then just turn you wheels toward them and they usually back off ,but some times they keep coming then i have to go one step further like just block there way. It could be deadly but what the fxxk at 77 who cares i don't give way ,the wife been telling me for years you going to get shot,hell they shoot you for parking wrong so i know it could  any day . The bad thing is the car i have now is a little KIA  so all the big cars think i am a easy push over so have to fight back ,when i had the big SUVs was different.So if you want to drive here buy a big car or truck you will not get a lot of asses trying  to prove they  can scare you .

2 people like this

On 3/16/2017 at 7:42 AM, tonny said:

But knock on wood so far so good.I found out if they start to pull out in front of you from some alley or corner,, horn first, then just turn you wheels toward them and they usually back off ,but some times they keep coming then i have to go one step further like just block there way.

Just don't slow down.  Most drivers on the road here are excruciatingly timid and any motion from the side, even a bicycle on the shoulder, will cause them to hit their breaks.  Jeeps and taxis especially know this and will just pull out to see if the oncoming car hits the breaks and then they go.  If you just continue on they stop and if they don't then it's time for horn etc.

As for Sen. Sotto, he's quite right.  No difficulty in getting a DL unless you're an expat on a tourist visa.  Few locals have been taught to drive and just learn by watching and doing.  That gets you to the point of being able to operate a car but does not mean you can drive.

Edited by SkyMan
2 people like this

this is global

There certainly are a lot of stupid drivers here, and having two tests won't help anything unless they actually force applicants to take the tests (rather than just sign them and pay a little extra money to have them filled out by somebody on the LTO staff. They say they have a practical driving test here as well, but I have never seen anybody taking one. It certainly isn't a mandatory test. Fixers are only necessary when the system is broken, and there are more fixers (on staff) at the LTO than at any other agency.

The thing about big vehicles verses little vehicles is absolutely true. You are less likely to get bullied if you are driving a large vehicle. That said, though, there will always be vehicles larger than your own (and, of course, armored vehicle drivers don't care how big your vehicle is) that want to bully you out of your right-of-way.

After you live and drive here a while, you learn how to drive just like the Filipinos drive, squeezing into any space and taking the right-of-way whenever you can. The rule is be bold but go slow when doing so. At uncontrolled intersections, the driver who hesitates is lost. The driver who is bold enough to force their way through traffic gets through the intersection. Then again, sometimes speed is your ally. If you are in front of the idiots, you have much less to worry about.

Also, drivers here use their horns much differently than drivers in western countries. Learn how to use your horn like a Filipino, or you will be at a disadvantage.

2 minutes ago, broden said:

this is global

No, it isn't. There is a world of difference between driving in the US and driving in the Philippines. The mentality of drivers is totally different.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

No, it isn't. There is a world of difference between driving in the US and driving in the Philippines. The mentality of drivers is totally different.

the mentality is different but the poor driving skills.. a solid 80% of the people in the states who have drivers licenses ... should not

Put a few simple rules in place and enforce them and traffic could be improved a lot.  I think anyone who has been on the roads here knows there are three top things that jack up traffic.  Pedicabs need to be banned from highways and main thoroughfares.  Jeepneys need to have designated stops and be required to get all the way right to make the stop.  I don't know how many times I've been sitting behind a jeepney either in heavy traffic or at a stop light and when traffic begins to move again, they'll roll like 50 feet then stop again to let someone out.  Of course many times this means blocking all traffic flow because the right lane is blocked by some vehicles that are parked in the right lane.  The third one is an infrastructure problem that would be much harder to overcome.  Being that large parts of the roads in the city were designed with no street side parking and most little businesses have no parking area, deliveries have to block the right lane to park and make their deliveries.

They also need to address the issue of people claiming a lane of the road to setup a cafe or conduct a funeral at the little chapels that are street side and have no space.

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, broden said:

the mentality is different but the poor driving skills.. a solid 80% of the people in the states who have drivers licenses ... should not

Most drivers in the US follow most of the laws. Here, drivers seldom follow laws unless the law favors what they want to do anyway. When was the last time you drove in the Philippines? Trust me on this one. There is a huge difference between the two countries. In the US, stupid drivers try not to get caught doing something stupid because they know there will be consequences. Here, stupidity on the road is the norm, and traffic enforcers seldom ever try to enforce the laws. They are too busy screwing up the traffic flow on major roads by giving the right-of-way to every minor side street and parking lot  entering them, rather than just letting the right-of-way laws dictate when vehicles can enter the traffic flow on major streets.

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Most drivers in the US follow most of the laws. Here, drivers seldom follow laws unless the law favors what they want to do anyway. When was the last time you drove in the Philippines? Trust me on this one. There is a huge difference between the two countries. In the US, stupid drivers try not to get caught doing something stupid because they know there will be consequences. Here, stupidity on the road is the norm, and traffic enforcers seldom ever try to enforce the laws. They are too busy screwing up the traffic flow on major roads by giving the right-of-way to every minor side street and parking lot  entering them, rather than just letting the right-of-way laws dictate when vehicles can enter the traffic flow on major streets.

i think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the quality of drivers in the states..

I have driven extensively in both countries in the last year. Have you? Sorry, Broden, but you can't just rationalize this one by saying it is the same everywhere. It isn't. The US, Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and almost every country where our members come from have the rule of law that reduces stupidity on the road. In the Philippines, the law is just window dressing, and stupid is the norm.

8 people like this