Rebuilder86

Funny or strange things Filipino staff have done or said to you

On 3/15/2017 at 3:28 PM, shadow said:

Wrong again. If you have a car coming straight at you turning left across in front of you, you are in the wrong lane!

No such thing as "wrong lane" in the Philippines. :cool:

• Like 1

When I went to visit my future wife she worked as head waitress in an expensive restaurant and knew little about Australians. She told me this story about an Australian customer who told the waitress in his Australian accent "I'm going home to die!"  He was a nice guy and all of them were tearful to think of his coming death and the waitress couldn't serve him anymore because it was so sorrowful so she stepped in and took care of him.   I laughed and explained he was saying he is going home today!

I met this young woman who told me about the death of someone "He is a little bit dead"  I laughed puzzled over why he wasn't a whole lot dead.  English a very plastic language!

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Art said:

When I went to visit my future wife she worked as head waitress in an expensive restaurant and knew little about Australians. She told me this story about an Australian customer who told the waitress in his Australian accent "I'm going home to die!"  He was a nice guy and all of them were tearful to think of his coming death and the waitress couldn't serve him anymore because it was so sorrowful so she stepped in and took care of him.   I laughed and explained he was saying he is going home today!

I met this young woman who told me about the death of someone "He is a little bit dead"  I laughed puzzled over why he wasn't a whole lot dead.  English a very plastic language!

I have experienced the "little bit" qualifier as well.  What amazed me is my own child used the expression, and has for many years.  Not used with the same situation...,,,,,my child had a cold and after a night's rest, I asked about how the child felt. The reply, an expression never used at our home was..,,"I feel a little bit good". 

I think it stems from the cultural way of not wanting to answer directly. Like the way people avoid saying no. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jawny said:

I have experienced the "little bit" qualifier as well.  What amazed me is my own child used the expression, and has for many years.  Not used with the same situation...,,,,,my child had a cold and after a night's rest, I asked about how the child felt. The reply, an expression never used at our home was..,,"I feel a little bit good". 

I think it stems from the cultural way of not wanting to answer directly. Like the way people avoid saying no. 

I suspect it has to do with Cebuano being translated directly to English, similarly to the aggravating use of "already."  The word na translates to now and already so you can be told, "You can pick up your car already," even though it was supposed to be done hours earlier.

Edited by SkyMan