tonny

Adult Passport Renewals – By Appointment or Via Mail with Payment

For sure I agree sujbu777 everything here is major pain and even our US Embassy has to make it so difficult, why can't they have us pay online as an option while we are filling out the online US Passport requirements that would save weeks waiting for Bank drafts to clear and then why does the US Embassy need to wait two weeks for these bank drafts to clear they are bank drafts, and then look at the staffing of the US Embassy, yes its friendly, helpful but?  Shouldn't we be employing Americans only.

Update: US Emb, upon receiving a telcon, issues a form made to US Citizen, to Air21 in NCR. Air21 sends form, for us by way of Tacloban then Maasin. Upon receiving form in Maasin Air21 agents arrive at door to pick up package costing P440 and it's on it's way to US Emb. More later.

• Like 1

It is apparent that the red tape hassles for processing a passport in Manila hassles are in large part due to the bureaucracies of the Philippines. For example, the requirement for demand drafts exclusively in lieu of cash. I've experienced similar hassles inother embassies. Just check a few other embassy websites and you'll see there are unique details in different countries. 

I'd rather see locals used for the clerical and admistrative work rather than US citizens. Be careful what is wished for comes to mind.  From my understanding of the personnel practices of the State Department, it's costly to hire US nationals.

Consular staff who are US nationals are typically recruited from the USA. Sometimes recruitments can be limited to individuals who are already permanent residents, but less common for managerial staff. The person who is hired or transferred in from the pool of ForeignService staff will typically have housing allowances, travel costs etc, all part of their benefits. This would result in a lot of higher fees for the processes they do now. I could be wrong, but in many overseas USA facilities such as military bases, embassies and the like, hiring local nationals is sensible and economic.

4 minutes ago, Jawny said:

It is apparent that the red tape hassles for processing a passport in Manila hassles are in large part due to the bureaucracies of the Philippines. For example, the requirement for demand drafts exclusively in lieu of cash. I've experienced similar hassles inother embassies. Just check a few other embassy websites and you'll see there are unique details in different countries. 

I'd rather see locals used for the clerical and admistrative work rather than US citizens. Be careful what is wished for comes to mind.  From my understanding of the personnel practices of the State Department, it's costly to hire US nationals.

Consular staff who are US nationals are typically recruited from the USA. Sometimes recruitments can be limited to individuals who are already permanent residents, but less common for managerial staff. The person who is hired or transferred in from the pool of ForeignService staff will typically have housing allowances, travel costs etc, all part of their benefits. This would result in a lot of higher fees for the processes they do now. I could be wrong, but in many overseas USA facilities such as military bases, embassies and the like, hiring local nationals is sensible and economic.

So then wouldn't this make sense for the Philippine Consulates in the US?  Hire US staff ... Americans need jobs even expats, how hard is this job really.

11 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

So then wouldn't this make sense for the Philippine Consulates in the US?

I would bet that a lot of support staff at the Philippine consulates in the US are American citizens. 

19 minutes ago, Jawny said:

From my understanding of the personnel practices of the State Department, it's costly to hire US nationals.

Extremely. 

BPI wanted my payment in PHP for the Demand Draft, and wouldn't touch my dollars haha. I don't know people are making this more complex than it really is. Just follow the directions exactly and it will go smooth enough. I was happy to be able to do it all from home. Took about 6 weeks tho, they have to wait for the demand draft to clear.