Woolf

Ellah Joy slay suspect intends to undergo trial

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/125677/ellah-joy-slay-suspect-intends-undergo-trial

Ellah Joy slay suspect intends to undergo trial

By: Izobelle T. Pulgo

@izobelleCDN

10:43 PM March 10th, 2017

ONE of the suspects in the kidnap-slay of Ellah Joy Pique has expressed interest to undergo trial.

Ian Charles Griffiths has filed through his lawyer Rameses Victorious Villagonzalo a motion for chamber conference before the sala of Judge Ester Veloso of Regional Trial Court Branch 6.

In his motion filed last Monday, Griffiths expressed his intention to undergo trial and requested the court to determine the place of his detention pending his bail application or trial, the schedule of the hearings, the complete list of prosecution witnesses and the appearance of private prosecutors.

According to Villagonzalo, Griffiths will have to surrender once the hearing is underway as the case is non-bailable and his client has to be detained; thus, they want to know where the British national would be held in custody.

Griffiths and his girlfriend Bella Ruby Santos were implicated in the kidnap-slay of Ella Joy, who was snatched by strangers riding a Pajero on February 8, 2011 at around 4 p.m. while the girl was walking home with friends from her school in Calajoan, Minglanilla.

A woman with long hair called out Ellah Joy and asked for her mother’s name and address before offering to take her home, according to a witness’ account.

Ellah Joy then boarded the vehicle and sat on the front seat on the woman’s lap while a Caucasian male foreigner drove the Pajero.

The next day, the girl’s body was found wrapped in a blanket and dumped off a cliff in Barili town.

More than three years since Ellah Joy was killed and kidnapped, Regional Trial Court (RTC) Judge Ester Veloso dismissed the case against Santos, who was then out on bail, for insufficiency of evidence.

Griffiths, who was also accused of the crime, remains in London and out of reach of Philippine courts.

Villagonzalo explained in a phone interview with Cebu Daily News that Griffiths maintained his innocence of the crime but pointed out that the motion was prompted by his client’s weariness at being restricted in his movements, especially when it comes to traveling.

“Gikapoy man siya nga na-restrained iyang movement kay di siya kaadto sa mga countries nga naay extradition treaty with the Philippines. Unya iyang gusto nga maplantsa na na kung asa siya i-priso, especially kung makakuha ba ug marathon hearing.”

• Like 5

This will get interesting. I wonder if they will reopen the case when Griffiths is proved innocent. This case would be an interesting one for a private investigator, someone with ability, not like the those involved in the original disgraceful debacle.

• Like 5

The last time I heard from Ian Griffith it was when he hired a Linc member to help him coordinate his legal efforts re the murder charges- and that member tried to claim the 100,000 peso  reward that I had posted on Linc for information leading to the capture of the real killer.  

Of course that member is now long gone from Linc and I think even from the Philippines and poor old Ian Griffith is left in legal limbo hell !

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

The last time I heard from Ian Griffith it was when he hired a Linc member to help him coordinate his legal efforts re the murder charges- and that member tried to claim the 100,000 peso  reward that I had posted on Linc for information leading to the capture of the real killer.  

Of course that member is now long gone from Linc and I think even from the Philippines and poor old Ian Griffith is left in legal limbo hell !

fark

Didn't they have him on CCTV at the waterfront when the girl was kidnapped? I am confused

5 minutes ago, ckfm said:

Didn't they have him on CCTV at the waterfront when the girl was kidnapped? I am confused

You must be

that was the guy from norway that they had on cctv

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

You must be

that was the guy from norway that they had on cctv

ah OK thanks, same case??

1 minute ago, ckfm said:

ah OK thanks, same case??

Yes

Ian Griffith was the second foreigner they tried to pin this murder on. Amazingly, they tried to use the same eye-witnesses in both cases. Only the names and faces of the accused and the description of the vehicle changed.

• Like 4

Wonder if he would fall under the new death penalty law in US no. But here who knows if so i would never come back here no way. Not for justice i am sure.

• Like 2