• Announcements

• Paul

New Members' Forum   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

fred42

Stucco or cement rendering in the R.P.. Grrr..

8 posts in this topic

For years Ive been watching Filipino`s stucco (as you Americans say) or render as we brits say) Hollow block walls and concrete poured columns.. It seems to take them forever!

The job we are doing at the moment has about 24 posts on each floor..Filipinos want to get a labourer too "tic tic" the smooth post surface with a concrete nail in a piece of plastic water pipe and a hammer..It takes ages and its noisy..tic tic,tic tic all fecking day long!! Then the mason comes along and puts up a piece of nylon from the top to bottom on all four corners and then  flicks the 2:1 mix on with a trowel...flick flick,flick flick...Takes fecking ages!!

If I rolled the posts with a coat of PVA and splatter coated the posts with a watered down mix,surely that would provide a decent enough key to prevent them tic ticking all day long right??

Also..Why can`t they render corners or walls with a metal float trowel and hawk like this?? So fecking quick and easy!!

Well, I'll say this-sure looks great when they finish-at least it did on our house.

this guy, ive seen his videos before, he is like the best renderer on earth, and no one can be compared to him, let alone filipinos!
I once asked myself the same question you are asking,
Some of them do have the correct tools, a foreigner just finished building his house in a little village near me.
I was pleasantly surprised to see the plasterers using hawks and large flat trowels with rounded edges. And they even had a guy mixing cement in a barrow using plasterers sand.
I want to know where they got the plasterers sand from. 99.999% of the time its just ground up crap from some quarry which has to be sieved on site. Painful to watch and this is the sole reason it takes them so long, supply of the main ingredient sand.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Rebuilder86 said:

this guy, ive seen his videos before, he is like the best renderer on earth, and no one can be compared to him, let alone filipinos!
I once asked myself the same question you are asking,
Some of them do have the correct tools, a foreigner just finished building his house in a little village near me.
I was pleasantly surprised to see the plasterers using hawks and large flat trowels with rounded edges. And they even had a guy mixing cement in a barrow using plasterers sand.
I want to know where they got the plasterers sand from. 99.999% of the time its just ground up crap from some quarry which has to be sieved on site. Painful to watch and this is the sole reason it takes them so long, supply of the main ingredient sand.

You know what? I think you are right.. 

I uni bonded a wall today and did a 3:1 mix..Troweled it on off of my flash looking aluminium hawk and the lot just fell off the wall !!

It`s the damned sand I tell ya!!

Edited by fred42

3 hours ago, Rebuilder86 said:

This Brit plasterer would probably disagree with that statement!! lol..

Sorry i shouldnt hav said best, i should say fastest. 

In one of his vids he did a wall about 2m wide by std 2.4 in like 5 mins. Then did the final coat with a big steel screed in about one mi ute. He is insane

1 person likes this

Haha i think the brit dood is actually just applying ice cream.

A few tips and hints.

Porous sub surface or in high temps wet down or mist the substrate (base) material first. This stops all the moisture being sucked out of the render into the substrate too quickly.

Add a capful or two (CAP) of washing up liquid to the mix. It will give you a creamier more smooth mix which will aid application. Also cleans the tools as you go............joke!!!!!

Hawk and trowel are really only application tools, the Filipino small board and trowel are just the same only slower.....

Don't overwork the applied render, this will bring the cream or fat (trade terms) to the surface and lead to hairline cracking.

Keep the freshly applied render moist to wet for a few days after application. This is especially true of here in the PI. This stops it drying out too quickly, shrinking and cracking. After application we wet down 3 times per day for 3 days. I have actually paid guys overtime on a Sunday to go in and wet down fresh render or a newly laid slab if we laid it on a Fri or Sat!

Unibond is a great bonding agent but i have not seen it here. There is ABC Zembond at 200 Php per gallon and Redifix at 600 Php per gallon.

Redifix is the dogs bollox for doing tile over tile or on wood etc. Zembond is what we use as a standard bonding agent and as stated PVA glue in a "no stock sir" situation.

The chipping of the substrate with the concrete nail in a bit of pipe is just a way of overcoming ignorance. It provides a key for the render to bite into and exposes fresh concrete mix for the render to adhere to. With proper prep of the substrate ie removal of scale by wire brushing, removal of dust etc by washing with COPIOUS ammounts of water and the application of either a bonding agent, dash coat or similar it really is unnecessary. But...old habits die hard!!

2 people like this