• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

agent17

File taxes to the US - need advice

30 posts in this topic

I use the H&R Block program. It is about equivalent to TurboTax on price, but worked better for my circumstances.

9 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Home and Business has recently been renamed Self-Employed and is what you are looking for. I looked at mine and it does include a section for both Foreign Earned Income and business income.

I have always used the Pro version. The self employed is more for sole proprietorship type situations. 

i don't file with Turbotax I  do use it as a reference point to generate 'what if' returns. It is a cheap reference point compared to a qualified accountant with experience in multinational tax situations. 

The danger with Turbo tax is someone could answer wrong and be liable. Audit protection doesn't pay your penalties and tax owed if you bugger up your own return. That's a big misconception. 

However I think the OP could certainly sort his situation based on what he has stated on his current situation  

OP - as for your prior year returns, why stress it? If you hadn't earned income then you don't have tax due. You should order transcripts from he IRS if you have questions on what they know about you. 

Edited by Monsoon

Just e-filed our State and Federal today for free with Turbo Tax on-line.  After Mar 15, to e-file for State is no longer free. We owe Federal some and they will debit automatically from my U.S. bank account.

17 hours ago, NOSOCALPINOY said:

Just e-filed our State and Federal

You live abroad and pay income taxes to a state? You should really  consult a tax advisor! 

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

You live abroad and pay income taxes to a state? You should really  consult a tax advisor! 

i file a state also as i have many investments and still use my fathers usa mailing address.

58 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

My taxes are so simple as it gets ever since I retired 18 years ago and got rid of everything in the U.S., so therefore Turbo Tax's free Ez1040 form works just fine for the past 3 years. I just gather all of my 1099 forms on-line, enter all numbers where it goes, answer all their 100 questions. I don't need to declare or itemize anything and wala I'm done in 45 minutes.

We always pay Federal a little amount ever since my combined income increased 3 years ago, but I always adjust my Federal tax withholding every year until I break even when eventually we no longer have to owe Federal. 

Filing for free using Turbo Tax just came about 3 years ago so therefore I took advantage of their special offer. 

On 09/03/2017 at 8:50 AM, samatm said:

HOw long is "ages" . 

For me it has been about 4 years now but I will probably do it this year. My income is a 50% VA service-connected disability which is not subject to taxation. So my income is ZERO as far as the IRS is concern. I was using HR Block but found it rather stupid to pay them $300 just to file ZERO taxes. But I will download the EZ form and right a big ZERO in the proper box and mail it in. I think I will do the same for the past years I did not file as I would hate for some IRS agent to go after me to collect that ZERO back taxes I owe them. . :biggrin_01:

2 people like this

12 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

For me it has been about 4 years now but I will probably do it this year. My income is a 50% VA service-connected disability which is not subject to taxation. So my income is ZERO as far as the IRS is concern. I was using HR Block but found it rather stupid to pay them $300 just to file ZERO taxes. But I will download the EZ form and right a big ZERO in the proper box and mail it in. I think I will do the same for the past years I did not file as I would hate for some IRS agent to go after me to collect that ZERO back taxes I owe them. . :biggrin_01:

Heck, if you're going to mess with them, file the long form.

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

I only now have a 30% VA Comp after a rating readjustment last year, but it's never clamed since it's tax exempt, but the tax break helps out in reducing my taxable income by an extra $5,000 a year. 

As I mentioned, I just did my e-filing for free using Turbo Tax on-line for State and Federal. the free offer for State ends on Mar 15. State doesn't really need to be filled out since living aboard, but I do it anyway because there are questions pertaining to residency. 

2 people like this

19 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

I have filed under this theory also. If I do not have any skipped years I don't have to worry about 'proving' not enough taxable income to be required to file for those years and the IRS does not have a blank year they can ask a question about.

1 person likes this