• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

RogerDat

Dual Battery Systems - was: Facebook engineers...

5 posts in this topic

TequilaSunset

Can you elaborate on the battery's you use, and the chargers? Sounds like they are similar to my UPS / light setup.

"running dual aux batteries"

@TequilaSunset

Edited by Paul

3 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

Can you elaborate on the battery's you use, and the chargers? Sounds like they are similar to my UPS / light setup.

Probably a high output alternator and a battery isolator, or heavy diodes.

2 hours ago, RogerDat said:

TequilaSunset

"running dual aux batteries"

@TequilaSunset

I figured it would be easier to show you than write it out. Here is a basic diagram that pretty much fits what my set up looks like, except I have 2 batteries in series. The solenoid prevents from draining the starter battery. I did not upgrade the alternator. I have 2 outlets wired inside... never failed me yet, but if I ever plane on some long term living in my vanagon, I will add solar. I have a 1,200 W inverter too, and a shore power plug on the outside that I use for civilized camp grounds :)

I hope this helps... 

Simple-dual-battery-setup-L.jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

1 person likes this

@TequilaSunset, @RogerDat,

You can also go with either a dual / triple battery isolator, or large diodes, which is what is built into an isolator. They just add a heat sink to the diodes to help dissipate the heat. 

Dual Battery Isolator

s-l500.jpg

Battery Isolating Diode

85hf60_Medium.jpg

1 person likes this

I looked at putting in a dual battery bank in my old Unimog years back and I remember that the setup involved having isolated battery banks, due to their differing sizes. It's the same way with industrial battery banks, except with most vehicles, there might be just 1 primary battery and 1 secondary battery. The setup I was looking at had 1 primary battery, but 4 backup batteries in a bank attached to the frame behind the cab.

Problems arise though when the batteries are not exactly equal (one might be identical, yet not be as strong as the other). Then your battery charging will encounter difficulties in keeping the batteries charged correctly.

My suggestion is to isolate the primary battery (bank) from the secondary battery (bank) and then charge them as individual batteries.

1 person likes this