Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JamesMusslewhite

Have Questions about Pasport Renewal

11 posts in this topic

Before some joker links the Embassy as if that is helpful, let me say I read it, have it bookmarked and it is a bit vague on what I want to do. This is why I am doing this OP...

OK here are the facts.

Just had VISA renewed yesterday and they informed me my passport expires April 17th, so instead of the usual 2 months extension they were only able to extend for one month. My wife's US passport has expired, but only 10 months which is well within the 5 years mentioned on the site. So it should be easy to get both of our passports renewed. 

I really do not want to have to travel all the way up to Manila when Cebu is much easier. Surigao City was hit by an earthquake and the airfield is out, do not care to sit on a boat 3-1/2 days up and 3-1/2 back. Don't really care to have to do the overnight ferry and hassle with flying to and from from Cebu. So Here are the questions

If I print out the required form and bring it to the Cebu Waterfront branch and make the cash payment there. (I bank at neither bank mentioned on the website) and get a receipt for the payment. Can I also hand my passports over in Cebu, or will I still have to contact Manila and do the Air21-dance with them? And is there a way to have the new passports sent to the Cebu Waterfront branch if all together possible?

I really do not care if it take a little longer going through the Cebu branch that way as I have already talked with the Surigao City BI office so if my VISA expires I can simply pay the fine and then request the 2-month extension once I get the new passport.

The Cebu consulate will accept passport renewals in person, cash payment.  They will add the cost of the Air 21 delivery to you.  Price for Air21 is just a couple hundred pesos or so.  Have a delivery address and contact t phone number available (your phone will be surrendered at security when entering). 

Form is easy to fill in online and print for them.  

Be sure you have photos meeting their criteria as described online.

2 people like this

Did mine all through the mail. Even payment. I mailed my application to Manila, no fee is to be sent with application. They sent me an email that my application had been accepted and gave me options to make payment which at that time were all required to be made in person, but not nessarrily by me. I had expat services in Cebu make my payment for me for just a few hundred peso. I just sent his fee and passport fee via LBC. The 1st time he showed up at the Cebu Consulate even though he had a printout of the email from Manila, they wouldn't accept payment. They wanted a letter from me. So I emailed a letter and they accepted it. I think I still have letter if you want a copy. Manila would accept credit card payment, but at least a few years ago, they wouldn't accept it over the phone or via email. They wanted to have it done in person.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Looks like my wife and I will be traveling up to Cebu sometime in the next two weeks and submit the paperwork and the payments at the Waterfront branch. Thank you for all the responses as it was quite helpful. It will be nice not have to hassle with the inconvenience of traveling all the way up to Manila just to do what can be done in Cebu.  

Posted (edited)

Well I returned this morning from Cebu where my wife and myself went to the Waterfront US Embassy branch to both renew our passports (my wife’s expired just over one year ago, and mine was only good until the 17th of next month). So here an update on the experience.

We left early Friday morning and were 6th in line when we arrived. Once inside the whole process was rather pleasant and hassle-free. We only required to each present our passports, the two page document (which I had printed from the Embassy website), 2”x2” photo and what helped make so convenient was the ability to simply pay in Philippine Peso. Total time was perhaps 30 minutes. Efficient.

Let me add that we were informed that the delivery of the new passports, by mail, was expected within 5 weeks. We were both handed back our old passports in case members wondered. So when you make the first BI visa renewal using the new passport you will also have the older passport which has your entry stamp and you last VISA stamp.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
4 people like this

Thanks for the update. My experience recently was similar. However, the delivery was by courier, which I paid for.  It was about a month later. Also, I paid in dollars and had the impression I was required to use dollars. No matter.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Thanks for the update. My experience recently was similar. However, the delivery was by courier, which I paid for.  It was about a month later. Also, I paid in dollars and had the impression I was required to use dollars. No matter.

They happily accepted my payment in peso but they wanted correct change. :biggrin_01:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

They happily accepted my payment in peso but they wanted correct change. :biggrin_01:

They also accept CC and then no bother with exact change.  I have no idea why the DoS can't accept CC payment via secure site after the app is accepted.  I'm sure most people would just do that even if a small fee was added.

1 person likes this

Well as promised I am updating the thread. We went to the Cebu branch of the US embassy and paid for the passport renewals for both my wife and I on the 25th of March and yesterday April 20th Air21 called to inform us the package had arrived here in Surigao City. My wife happened to be in town conducting business so she dropped into their office and picked the passports up. There was an additional fee of 120p for each passport (240p total) at the point of pickup and the processing and delivery of the two passports took less than 5 weeks. Simple and easy and I did not have to deal with the hassle of dealing with Manila.

Service rates 2-thumbs :thumbs_up:

4 people like this