samatm

Whats Brewing - Beer

12 posts in this topic

So I've been enjoying Brew Kettle Brew here in Cebu for several years now.  Seeems no one really talks about it.. but I find it a great diversion from the same old SMB  Pale Pilsen or Red horse..    Really nice  wheat beer with some citrus.   Have yo9u tried it ?   LOve it.  ?  Hate it ?     What say ye? 

Whats your favorite Brew here in the PI.    Where do you go for tap beer here in Cebu? 58a6ca5c0b6f0_brewkettle.jpg.1e71bfa13a47483155ca8fda215d025d.jpg

Edited by samatm
2 people like this

I enjoy Heineken...if not, San Miguel Light. No Red Horse for me.

2 people like this

It tastes good. A cheap alternative inspired to what Belgian beers should taste like ; thanks to chemistry/artificial flavors.  Johan's at Barrio Baretto carries it along with all his Belgian beers - some made by Trappist Monks. 

If I do buy beer, I only buy the best Lager import I find on sale @60p. Some good deals to be had these days in the market if you shop around now in Cebu. If you find a deal stock up. For the extra 20p based on store not street prices.

I am off all beers and booze made in Phil or imported booze from Spain into Phil.

My liver is much happier for my decision.

Test the local stuff one day and the good stuff another day and see if you notice the difference or monitor your vitals and breathing if you want to get scientific. My advice is to avoid the local BathTub Gin to Vino Kulafu like the plague.  

That aside I found the Don Papa Spiced Rum in Phil to be ok. But at 1000p a bottle, it is a miss. If Orey Higgins took my advice I think he would be in better shape now.  With @$300,000 usd in his HSBC account he could have afforded it. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, guysmiley said:

It tastes good. A cheap alternative inspired to what Belgian beers should taste like ; thanks to chemistry/artificial flavors.  Johan's at Barrio Baretto carries it along with all his Belgian beers - some made by Trappist Monks. 

If I do buy beer, I only buy the best Lager import I find on sale @60p. Some good deals to be had these days in the market if you shop around now in Cebu. If you find a deal stock up. For the extra 20p based on store not street prices.

I am off all beers and booze made in Phil or imported booze from Spain into Phil.

My liver is much happier for my decision.

Test the local stuff one day and the good stuff another day and see if you notice the difference or monitor your vitals and breathing if you want to get scientific. My advice is to avoid the local BathTub Gin to Vino Kulafu like the plague.  

That aside I found the Don Papa Spiced Rum in Phil to be ok. But at 1000p a bottle, it is a miss. If Orey Higgins took my advice I think he would be in better shape now.  With @$300,000 usd in his HSBC account he could have afforded it. 

So you are saying that you don't care for Brew Kettle ?    Part of the Risk of living in the PHils is the cheap booze and smokes... its just too easy to over indulge with the super cheap stuff. 

I agree that it is not an easy task not to indulge especially if one: has a great thirst, is thrifty and/or drinks at retail establishments. 

The answer is, I would avoid all Phil booze based on the product quality that is provided. There is far better imported booze to be bought. Just because Kettle tastes good doesn't mean it is any good in large quantities, over the years.

I have tried all the different imported / blended from beer to whisky to brandy, it has been all nasty. I have given away the contents of many unfinished bottles of spirits to my gf's family.

Sure, I could survive a Pilsen. Although, the reused bottle seems to have a little cleaning detergent left in it. However, it is as close to a "natural" beer one can buy on the cheap at a retail establishment and/or readily available. 

Sure if one dulls the poisonous unclean spirits taste with soda pops, mixers it shall get it down into the gut. To each his own. 

Edited by guysmiley

One can always pray over each beer one drinks to get out the evil spirits. Here is some information of use to the board : 

https://beer.ph/

3 people like this

I drink Emperador Lite and SMB Pilsen. To be on the safe side I have an old GI footlocker full of Crown Royal that I brought over specifically for my wake. Only locals, Squids and Jarheads will be invited.

If you care about the purity or ingredients in our beer, San Miguel does make an "all malt" pilsen.
Their regular pilsen, and most other beers around here, are based on cheaper ingredients like corn and sugar to a large extent ...
And there is very little by way of hops, the most costly ingredient in beer.
So it's rather like being in America, in other words.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:03 PM, samatm said:

So I've been enjoying Brew Kettle Brew here in Cebu for several years now

Sounds good, I will look for it and try some. Thx for the tip.

1 hour ago, guysmiley said:

One can always pray over each beer one drinks to get out the evil spirits. Here is some information of use to the board : 

https://beer.ph/

Good web page...I'll use it to try some new tastes. When in Rome...I'll stick to Phils beer. Had my fill of drinking around the world. After the first six or seven it's hard to tell the difference anyway!!!

1 person likes this

I agree that it is not an easy task not to indulge especially if one: has a great thirst, is thrifty and/or drinks at retail establishments. 
The answer is, I would avoid all Phil booze based on the product quality that is provided. There is far better imported booze to be bought. Just because Kettle tastes good doesn't mean it is any good in large quantities, over the years.
I have tried all the different imported / blended from beer to whisky to brandy, it has been all nasty. I have given away the contents of many unfinished bottles of spirits to my gf's family.
Sure, I could survive a Pilsen. Although, the reused bottle seems to have a little cleaning detergent left in it. However, it is as close to a "natural" beer one can buy on the cheap at a retail establishment and/or readily available. 
Sure if one dulls the poisonous unclean spirits taste with soda pops, mixers it shall get it down into the gut. To each his own. 

So why are you spending your life in the Phil if you avoid all Phil booze? Why not live instead in a country where your preferred imported booze comes from? That will save your penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 person likes this