contraman

Using Cell phone while driving

Kabisay-an gid    3,904
On 2/18/2017 at 6:58 AM, Headshot said:

One thing that is common with most third-world countries is that almost nobody has a landline phone. I would guess that the percentage of people with landline phones in the Philippines is about ten percent. Most people here wouldn't have a phone if it weren't for their cell phones. Shut down cell phone signals? That is a really hair-brained idea. Therefore, that is probably an option they will consider trying. We know how well (NOT) that worked out during Sinulog.

I haven't had a landline for several years. According to a late 2015 survey of 21,000 US households by the Centers for Disease Control - 47% did not have landlines:

https://www.engadget.com/2015/12/01/cdc-nearly-half-of-american-homes-no-longer-have-landlines/

rep1    1,315
23 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

You're joking right....:unknw:

I really haven't... so it does happen? how do they manage that?

Kabisay-an gid    3,904
20 minutes ago, rep1 said:

I really haven't... so it does happen? how do they manage that?

Steer with one hand, text with the other. Stupid, but a lot of people do it.

• Like 1

+USMC-Retired    10,390

Do this in my city it will cost you $500.  Very expensive call.  

lolhahaha    1,067
1 hour ago, USMC-Retired said:

Do this in my city it will cost you $500.  Very expensive call.  

They should have a cop drive around in a Peterbilt or something. I saw 100s or drivers over the past year driving with a big tablet sitting in the center of their steeriing wheel, typing away or watching a video, not even looking at the road. A lot of them were other truck drivers who can't be seen doing it unless you are also in a truck. Probably close to 1/2 the cars I passed I saw the driver with a cell phone in their hands, alot of them are smart enough to keep their right hand over in the stick shift area so nobody can see them texting but in a big truck you can see everything.

In the area I live in Philippines they have just added a 2nd lane to the main road but none of the trikes or motorcycles going 20km will get into the right lane because then they'd have to look up from their cellphones long enough to avoid driving through rice, dogs, human cattle, somebody's lumber or a rock pile.

rizla    1,252
On 19/02/2017 at 0:04 AM, Monsoon said:

So you don't see many on their bikes using their phones.

You do in China, they seem to use their phones even more when driving or riding a bike, it is becoming increasingly dangerous, but every time there is a police crackdown, within a week it all goes back to the same old abuse of the system.

I think mobile phone use should be locked to function only between the hours of 7pm to 7am, until people start to use them responsibly !

KID    8,506

Not to worry, Whithin 2 decades you will just have a chip implant for communications, tracking and financial transactions

The good news is that all of you that hear voices in your head will think you are normal

Edited by KID
  • Like 2

Headshot    19,305

Any kind of communication (whether talking with somebody in the vehicle, talking or texting on a cell phone, singing along to the radio, or communicating through a microchip implanted in your head) will have you driving distracted, just like drinking a couple of mixed drinks and then driving. If you are doing something that takes your attention away from driving, you are increasing the risk of something bad happening.