river rat

Traveling With Guitar

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever traveled from the Philippines to where ever, checking a guitar in as luggage? I'm okay on the weight and size. I'm just wondering if Customs would give you a hard time leaving with one. It's my personal guitar which I shipped here back in 2012 when I moved here. We are moving back to the States on March 2nd. And this is included in my personal effects...It is also made from Appendix II wood which is listed on the CITES list. I purchased  this guitar before they added East Indian Rosewood...This does not require a Permit to get into the US, but I'm not sure about getting out of here...

Thanks in advance...!

No problem with customs both ways whatsoever..I would be amazed if they took an interest in the materials....however you probably can't take it in the cabin because it's too long and when you check it in it will get abused so loosen the strings and make sure it's well protected.

Edited by musicman666
1 person likes this

I've traveled in and out of the country a few times with a high end dreadnaught acoustic guitar. Nobody cared. Nothing extra in the way of inspections.

I do use a very good guitar case with a lock, plus loosen the strings every time I travel.

Edited by Mikala
3 people like this

16 hours ago, river rat said:

Has anyone here ever traveled from the Philippines to where ever, checking a guitar in as luggage? I'm okay on the weight and size. I'm just wondering if Customs would give you a hard time leaving with one.

Thanks in advance...!

When you leave the Philippines you do not go through Customs, only Immigration and several security checks. You do however have to clear Customs when you land.

Do you have a hard-sided guitar case that can withstand various bumps and drops? Otherwise you will check your guitar but get a ukulele when you land.

I've traveled several times with a uke as carry on. No one paid any attention to it either coming are going.

10 hours ago, Mikala said:

I've traveled in and out of the country a few times with a high end dreadnaught acoustic guitar. Nobody cared. Nothing extra in the way of inspections.

I do use a very good guitar case with a lock, plus loosen the strings every time I travel.

And there in lies the secret ....I also bubble wrap the neck and pack bubble wrap inside the body...try to make sure it cant move in the hard case...

1 person likes this

I have traveled with my acoustic in a hard case as check in luggage. I loosened strings and made sure the headstock was wrapped.. I used bubble wrap. I also put a good layer of bubble wrap around the case and wrapped that with shrink wrap. I know that sounds like over kill but my case has never gotten even a scratch on it.

1 person likes this

Yep, I always loosen the strings before traveling or storing the instrument...Bubble wrap I have a ton of....Thanks

This came in not 30 minutes ago, after an inquiry I made a few days ago....Just FYI.....Not that it matters a this point....I told them if they can provide the permit in less than 10-days to go for it...I sent them the documents they requested. I'll still take it home if I don't get it....Either way I lose it, if I don't hand carry it now....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MR. RODNEY BELL
Dear Mr. Bell,
x-
This pertains to your email dated 12 February 2017 inquiring if a permit is required for the shipment back to the US of your personal guitar made of Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia) which was imported into the Philippines in 2012.
Please be informed that Dalbergia latifolia is listed under Appendix II of the CITES. As such, international trade (export/import/re-export) of the species except for leaves, flowers, pollen, fruits and seeds must be covered by a CITES Permit issued by this Bureau, it being the Philippine CITES Management Authority for terrestrial species. In this regard, you are advised to please file your CITES Re-Export Permit application with DENR Region-VII, Cebu City for initial evaluation. Kindly attach a photocopy of the official purchase receipt or any document substantiating the legality of the source/acquisition of the guitar as well as import documents, if any. If all the documentary requirements are met after said evaluation, the Region will endorse your CITES Permit application to this Bureau for processing/issuance of Re-export Permit.
Processing/issuance of the said Permit by this Bureau will take a maximum of 3 days, provided that all documentary requirements are complete or have been satisfied. Re-export permit and inspection fees in the total amount of PhP400.00 will be paid with DENR Region-VII or this Bureau. Should you have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Lorilie R. Salvador of this Bureau’s Wildlife Resources Division though telephone nos. 9258952-53.

5 minutes ago, river rat said:

This came in not 30 minutes ago, after an inquiry I made a few days ago....Just FYI.....Not that it matters a this point....I told them if they can provide the permit in less than 10-days to go for it...I sent them the documents they requested. I'll still take it home if I don't get it....Either way I lose it, if I don't hand carry it now....

I've still never had anyone inspect my guitar for the slightest thing. I highly doubt there will be any inspection of your instrument at the airport...