• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

ckfm

Anyone has any new experience with Sky cable Internet service

18 posts in this topic

They are promoting it now all over Cebu. Does somebody have it? Which area of Cebu. Reliability? Anything is helpful, thanks.

1 person likes this

I read they have infinite data plans? Do they block torrents?

I have Sky Broadband 16mb download, 1mb upload. Cebu IT Park. Using it to post this reply. 

Speedtests done within the Philippines show the speed you pay for. Testing to another country provides widely varied results depending on the country, time of day, phase of the moon, etc.

It has no data cap, or at least not one I've been notified of or hit. Haven't torrented anything here for the last couple months but I did grab a bunch of stuff in 2016 without trouble. I do download movies from iTunes and stream Netflix (with a VPN for the USA catalog). Also use a VPN to get work done with clients in the USA.

Mostly reliable, but I've had a couple occasions where they have busted routing out of the country for 4-8 hours before fixing it... But honestly I've seen the same crap with Comcast in the USA before too. Make sure to keep a pocket wifi handy or tether to your cell phone during these incidents if you need internet for work like me.

Short version: Keep your expectations in line with any other service in the Philippines and you won't be disappointed :) 

2 people like this

I ditched globe in favour of this plan and have never looked back....for me it's really good ...no weird four hour disconnections during the small hours....no slowing down during peak periods ...it's a breath of fresh air..touch wood....and you can abuse the fk out of downloads without caps....like downloading gigs of data in an hour.

i think it's because they are set up to deliver cable 24/7 ....so this internet is like a walk in the park for them ....globe however seem to be selling it short to everyone and are now knee deep in bandwidth issues.....I think they are hiving off resources to bpo at night ....their main distribution centre is located in IT park....you do the maths.

my location is mandaue...

Edited by musicman666
2 people like this

The key with anything in the Philippines is ask around your area.  Just because it is good in the IT Park or Lapu Lapu does not mean it will be good in Talisay.  So make sure ask the people living near you.    You are governed by the node and number of users currently using that node.  

We inquired ..but broadband internet was not available in our area..  Cebu  guadalupe happy Valley.. only TV was available.     Several years ago we had it ..and it sucked.. Latncy issues were horrible.   I hear they are much improved now.

I called yesterday and it is available in our area but it doesn't work if cable TV is off - which was not working for one full day last week.

So I am gonne stick with PLDT for now and hang in there for another year I guess until things get more active here in the Internet market.

1 hour ago, ckfm said:

I called yesterday and it is available in our area but it doesn't work if cable TV is off - which was not working for one full day last week.

What?  I have Cable TV and Cable internet from Sky.  They work independently from each other.  I've had the internet interupted for short periods, a couple of times.  But the Cable TV was unaffected.  Same vice-versa.

And there is no limit on data, and no problem with torrents.  I download a couple of films (in HD) pretty much everyday, with no issues.

I am located in Cebu business park, where amazingly they don't offer fibre yet.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

What?  I have Cable TV and Cable internet from Sky.  They work independently from each other.  I've had the internet interupted for short periods, a couple of times.  But the Cable TV was unaffected.  Same vice-versa.

And there is no limit on data, and no problem with torrents.  I download a couple of films (in HD) pretty much everyday, with no issues.

I am located in Cebu business park, where amazingly they don't offer fibre yet.

hmm, that's what the lady said on the phone, lol.

Well if the cable is cut or torn down by a container truck

then there will be no tv and no internet